Formula D ? about cage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula D ? about cage

I was just wondering if someone could confirm that Formula D is NOT allowing TIG welded cages for the 06 season. If so could they explain to me why not?
    I'm just putting one in my car hopefully tommorrow.

If this is true, i would also like to know why???

Comment

Originally posted by hillkill
      I was just wondering if someone could confirm that Formula D is NOT allowing TIG welded cages for the 06 season. If so could they explain to me why not?
      I'm just putting one in my car hopefully tommorrow.

As far as cages go, I'd look up the GCR for SCCA road racing. I'd reccomend building a cage to IT specs based on the weight of your car.

Of course I'm not tech for Formula D and cannot give more than a friendly suggestion. It sucks completely redoing a cage.

Comment

When I had questions about mine I emailed the guys at scca tech and they helped out. I was going to get the safety 21 bolt in and ended up getting the autopower because they are trying to go to that style for bolt in cages. Fitment on the autopower is actually pretty good much better than I thought it would be after everyone talked about how bad it was. Though I have seen them in another s14 with the sunroof version and it was pretty horrid, I ordered the non-sunroof because I have no headliner and I am going to remove my sunroof eventually.

Comment

As far as I know and based on the GCR if a cage is TIG welded, its construction must be approved by an SCCA tech inspector either at an annual tech inspection or per event this applies for chromoly contruction also.Unless formula d made a new anouncement.

Comment

I was in Vegas at the formula D meeting, and the new rule book that was presented. It specified that tig welding of cages is not permitted.

Comment

seems like a strange rule.....
              A good tig is as strong as a mig.... right...
              seems like you cant fake a tig weld eather, you have to melt both components and add rod.... meaning good penatration and a strong weld?
              mig ... ive seen many poor un-penatrated suface welds.... that will break as soon as you crash... causing possibly more injuries to the driver, and tech sent those right threw??

seems like it should be a quality of weld issue not what kind of machine was used
              just my thoughts...

Comment

Well I finally talked to Richard Tran of Formula D and here is what he said" All welding is covered by the AWS. TIG welded cages are allowed. The limit is that teams must use mild steel tubing unless FD gives them specific
                permission to use chrome-moly."

Comment

hmm thats odd. Then why does it say that cromoly cages and tig welded cages are not allowed?

Comment

In their 2005 rulebook it says 1.5" .095 wall DOM is preferred also. It says nothing about TIG welding though.

EDIT: I just look at the 2006 rulebook and it says nothing about TIG welding. It says pretty much the same thing as 2005. Maybe I'm not seeing something?
                    Last edited by ; 01-10-2006, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X