Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samuel Hubinette (D1 Press Release)

Hubinette Smokes His Way into Semis at D1GP Event

Samuel Hubinette showed why he's considered one of the elite drifters in the world today, as the "Crazy Swede" posted a semifinals finish in the D1 Grand Prix Series Round 1 event at Irwindale Speedway in California on Saturday. Hubinette posted the best finish for a U.S. drifter in a field that featured the best drifters from around the world.

Hubinette, with the help of the NuFormz Racing team and owner Shaun Carlson, kicked off the weekend by qualifying his Mopar SRT10 Dodge Viper number one on Friday. He then faced Vaughn Gittin Jr., in the first round of eliminations. After the judges called for a "one more time," Hubinette emerged with the win. After defeating Japanese drifter Takahiro Ueno in the second round, Hubinette bowed out in the semis in a match-up against Nobushige Kumakubo, the second-ranked drifter in Japan. The semifinal run placed Hubinette at fourth for the event, out of 58 drivers. The event also was Hubinette's first with BFGoodrich Tires.

"This is my highest finish ever in D1," said Hubinette. "I was really pumped up about qualifying number one. We had lot of things to be really happy about. I'm really stoked about the BFGs [tires]. They kept their grip really well turning sideways into the corner and created a lot of smoke, which is a good thing in drifting."

Next up, Hubinette will debut the Mopar Dodge Charger in the first event of the 2006 Formula D Drift season at Long Beach, Calif., on April 2. Hubinette was the inaugural Formula D champ in 2004, and posted a runner-up finish in the series in 2005.

For more info on Mopar or Hubinette, log on to moparspeed.com, mopar.com or samuelhubinette.com.
Working...
X