How to go PRO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to go PRO?

Hey, I was wondering about college and stuff. I am thinking bout getting and R32 GT-R. It's been my dream car since bout when I was 9 or earlier. I'd say since I'm just a little over the age of R32 cars I guess I liked them since like first grade, but I wanna know how to get into JGTC. I really like racing and drifting and have raced in karts at indoor tracks and stuff, so I have tried some of this stuff. I'm pretty sure that if I apply to UCLA I'll get in no problem. I was thinking about taking Mechanical Engineering as my fallback plan. I was wondering what are the steps involved in getting the licenses required for this type of racing. I remember somewhere that I needed an International C license for racing. Which if I'm not mistaken requires me to get like local racing licenses or something, but yea. So this is for those people who actually have these licenses or know the steps involved to getting into JGTC. This is a question coming from a serious person who is willing to give up a lot for this goal, so yea, no jokes on this one. This could determine my future, cuz I'm in the process of choosing colleges and I have an easy chance to get into pretty much any college I want, so if there is a better alternative than UCLA or UC Berkeley or something let know, because I still do need a fallback plan just in case I break a leg or something and can't race.

man, you're pretty cocky thinking you can get into any school you want. you bettermake sure you have a 4.5 gpa and wrote a damn good personal statement

Anyway, I once talked to a race car driver and asked him how he got into racing. He said that going to school to get a degree in business I think helped him understand the marketing side of racing. There's a lot about pro racing other than just driving the car.
    You can try to go to a racing school (skip barber, jim russell) and learn the basics of circuit racing and that kinda stuff. As for the JGTC, they have schools for aspiring racers in japan, but as far as I know, you have to be recuited.
    It's not going to be cheap getting a skyline in the states, even if it is a R32. You might want to aim a little lower and start with a cheap car and master it

Don't get over your head, professional racing is a hard business

Comment

Its acutally, 3 bmws, porsche turbo, s600, IR M3, Brabus E55

If your serious about it, go to school, get a god job, read everything you can, drive as much as you can, enter small events and get good. People will notice you if your good.

Comment

HEHE

Sorry, if I sounded cocky or sumthing, but its just that I have a good recommendations and crazy good grades and stuff, but thats besides the point. i'm not rich, but I've been saving for really long time and I could afford a 240SX or something, but why do I wanna lower my standards, because I won't feel satisfied until I drive the Skyline, and I don't really feel like putting money into a car that I know I won't cherish or keep because the 240SX or any other car is just not me. But anyway, thanx for the input and i just wanna know wats a good major to take in college because I want to design engine and cars and things like. I like mechanics and I do try to work on the family cars if they need work, but I'd rather not work on other people's cars. So what are the good majors out there in colleges. Like Wyotech, do they teach like car mechanics and if you graduate from there how does that get me a job? Is there a major called Automotive Technology? Anyway keep inputting!!! thanx

Comment

I'm confused. You want to be a professional JGTC driver? (just confused because this is a drifting forum). I'm definately no expert but here's the way I see it: First off, you are in the wrong country. Step one would be move to Japan. Second would be to learn Japanese language so you can communicate. Once your at that point, you would be able to find out what really needs to be done to reach your goal. There are probably racing leages that lead up to JGTC competition (like minor leagues). Third would be learning how to race competitively, which is probably the hardest, most time consuming, and most expensive. Fourth would be learning how to market your skills and getting sponsored which is where the second thing comes into play. Just keep in mind that people work their entire life to become a professional driver, and a very small percentage make it.

Comment

Sorry

Sorry bout this thread, but many of you seem to have been in competitions and such, thats why I placed this thread in the general section, because there weren't any other places to put this thread in. Yea anyway, yea I'm learning japanese, but I'm originally from malaysia thats where I first saw JGTC, at Seipang. But yea I realize the difficulties involved, but I still got to try for it. If I never try then I will never be able to. I do have some experience in karting competitions on cuircuits for that, so I understand the basics. yea I realize that I have to put a lot of time into it and I do plan to. I just want to know the steps. So yea thanx for letting me know about that. I'll go check out the minor series they might have in Japan, but does anyone know how to get the International C license? cause I read thats what you need.

Comment

if c is the top and not to confuse it with grand turismo a you would need the A and B as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas
                Its acutally, 3 bmws, porsche turbo, s600, IR M3, Brabus E55

If your serious about it, go to school, get a god job, read everything you can, drive as much as you can, enter small events and get good. People will notice you if your good.
                u have that?..cuz i was talking about that guy that loved the benzs...i wish i was rich

Comment

Rewind the clock and become a go-kart racer at like 10... then also become rich and then start racning

Comment

^lol yes theres ur solution

Comment

Re: How to go PRO?

Originally posted by D1Skyline
                      Hey, I was wondering about college and stuff. I am thinking bout getting and R32 GT-R. It's been my dream car since bout when I was 9 or earlier. I'd say since I'm just a little over the age of R32 cars I guess I liked them since like first grade, but I wanna know how to get into JGTC. I really like racing and drifting and have raced in karts at indoor tracks and stuff, so I have tried some of this stuff. I'm pretty sure that if I apply to UCLA I'll get in no problem. I was thinking about taking Mechanical Engineering as my fallback plan. I was wondering what are the steps involved in getting the licenses required for this type of racing. I remember somewhere that I needed an International C license for racing. Which if I'm not mistaken requires me to get like local racing licenses or something, but yea. So this is for those people who actually have these licenses or know the steps involved to getting into JGTC. This is a question coming from a serious person who is willing to give up a lot for this goal, so yea, no jokes on this one. This could determine my future, cuz I'm in the process of choosing colleges and I have an easy chance to get into pretty much any college I want, so if there is a better alternative than UCLA or UC Berkeley or something let know, because I still do need a fallback plan just in case I break a leg or something and can't race.
                      Im not going to HATE, a kid can have a DREAM. Because I had a dream once, but reality struck me a hard blow. its okay, dude. If im you. Stay in school, get to the best college you can afford, get a MARKETING, COMMUNICATION, and BUSINESS management degree and get involve in any racing events that you find interesting. Also, follow up in any events that has recuiters in them (such as DRIVER SEARCH). Also, about your skyline... dont kill yourself on getting one in the states. Unless your rich. GET a 240sx. Keep driving until your 21, swap the engine with an RB engine and BAM! you got yourself a cheap SKYLINE. Right-Handed drive vs. Left-Handed drive will not make you a better driver.

im 22 and I only have a high mileage FC and with a CIS degree. I use to deam to be in the GT league here in the US, but im still struggling paying my school and entering my car in events so, that s a little background on me

Comment

ok..first if u want to get into UCLA and are asian...u better be something special and u gotta have AP classes up the *Censored**Censored**Censored* and basically start at UCLA as a junior ur first year...but lets get on topic. Realistically if u dont know how to start by now, u are already behind. One way to become a great driver is to do what Fixmer did and hope to god that u get sent to a base in japan and work your *Censored**Censored**Censored* off. Personally, thats the way im headed, but im not lookin to be that allstar drifter ( just a decent mechanic). just dont get caught up in this dream to much because it may just be a phase. like everyone else said, college is the best way to go (it was either i respond to this or cuss someone out )

Comment

Yea, ok I understand what you guys are saying, so yea I do take crazy amount of honors and AP classes, but yea thats not the point. Though my dad and mom support me on this they still want me to be like a surgeon or sumthin, but in college I dun wanna major medical, cuz thats just too boring for me, and too far away from my goal. Is there such a major as automotive enginneer, because I read that in a handbook somewhere and, so I was wondering if a major like that would allow me to get a job as lets say an engine designer or sumthin like that, or would that mean like mechanic at a shop or something like that. Because I want to take soem type of automotive major that won't be just a mechanic, not saying mechanics are bad because I have done part times as a mechanic for a little bit before. And for the reason I want to buy the skyline isn't because its RHD or the fact its a skyline and unique. It's just that I have been wanting that car for sOooO many years that it almost put me in depression. I just like the car itself and I feel that putting money into a 240SX would be pointless because in the end I will still buy the skyline, I have an older car right now thats going to be mine and that would combined with my skyline fund for years be enough for the skyline, so I really can't see myself wasting my money in a 240SX because it just won't satisfy me. Not saying 240SX are bad, its just me.

Comment

anyways, theres this guy Seigou Yamamoto who started drifting at 28 (pretty late compared to the other D! drivers especially on this forum ) and he's now 32 years old drifting for Falken Tires. This guy started off by owning a store and alot of drifters would stop by and purchase parts, so he started getting caught up in the long going trend by riding shotgun with drifters and mimicing there moves. After highschool I plan to goto some technical school and go for a business degree along with a mechanical engineering degree and open up a suspension shop (promote drifting) down here in south florida

Comment

Originally posted by D1Skyline
                              Yea, ok I understand what you guys are saying, so yea I do take crazy amount of honors and AP classes, but yea thats not the point. Though my dad and mom support me on this they still want me to be like a surgeon or sumthin, but in college I dun wanna major medical, cuz thats just too boring for me, and too far away from my goal. Is there such a major as automotive enginneer, because I read that in a handbook somewhere and, so I was wondering if a major like that would allow me to get a job as lets say an engine designer or sumthin like that, or would that mean like mechanic at a shop or something like that. Because I want to take soem type of automotive major that won't be just a mechanic, not saying mechanics are bad because I have done part times as a mechanic for a little bit before. And for the reason I want to buy the skyline isn't because its RHD or the fact its a skyline and unique. It's just that I have been wanting that car for sOooO many years that it almost put me in depression. I just like the car itself and I feel that putting money into a 240SX would be pointless because in the end I will still buy the skyline, I have an older car right now thats going to be mine and that would combined with my skyline fund for years be enough for the skyline, so I really can't see myself wasting my money in a 240SX because it just won't satisfy me. Not saying 240SX are bad, its just me.
                              Study CADD (Computer Aided Drafting and Design). Major in ARTS and Mechanical Engineering. Send a letter in the Manufacturer that you're interested (ei, Nissan) and ask for advise from the VP or Pres. of the R&D (research and development). Keep in touch with them, Find out if they're in town or not (for conference or what not) make a contact with them. my .02. Im glad that you have a GOAL. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X