• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bad Nascar On The Attack

taken from zilvia

Originally posted by Rennen
    Just read this on sccaforums...

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/25568/

In short, NASCAR is swinging around its huge money to get all other forms of racing banned in Arizona. While the direct attack is at Champ Car, it also drastically impacts all forms of grassroots motorsports like autocross and drifting. The proposed law change says:

Quote:

A. A city of town shall not sponsor or allow to be held within the city or town a motor vehicle competition outside of a closed-course motorsport facility at which the sound level exceeds 90 decibels at any time.
    B. For the purpose of this section, "Closed-course motorsport facility" and "motor vehicle" have the same meanings prescribed in Section 12-556.

The legislation then repeats for Counties with the same language. The language in 12-556 is:

1. "Closed-course motor sports facility" means a closed-course speedway or racetrack that is designed and intended for motor vehicle competition, exhibitions of speed or other forms of recreation involving the use of motor vehicles.
    2. "Motor vehicle" means an automobile, motorcycle or other vehicle that is propelled by power, other than muscular power, that is used to transport persons and that operates within the confines of a closed-course motor sport track.

Depending on where its measured, most aftermarket exhausts are over 90dB, and so is a squealing tire.

If you live in Arizona, I urge you to write your congressman immediately, and plead for them to vote down this proposed law.

-Matt
    Last edited by my 1 88 u; 06-05-2006, 09:48 PM.

lets kill dale earnhardt and show them whats up

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Peters
      lets kill dale earnhardt and show them whats up

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahaha, dude that made my morning.

Comment

HAHA....almost had me scared for a second.

You see, I live in Arizona, where this would be a problem......

Except for the fact that the proposed law says:

"A. A city of town shall not sponsor or allow to be held within the city or town a motor vehicle competition outside of a closed-course motorsport facility at which the sound level exceeds 90 decibels at any time."

Keyword being OUTSIDE of a closed circuit. That means that INSIDE the circuit it's ok to go above 90dB but outside its not. So.....how does this effect drifting?? Im not so sure......as the majority of AZ Drift days are in track...

Sucks for Autocross though.......

Comment

Originally posted by driftersil80
          HAHA....almost had me scared for a second.

You see, I live in Arizona, where this would be a problem......

Except for the fact that the proposed law says:

"A. A city of town shall not sponsor or allow to be held within the city or town a motor vehicle competition outside of a closed-course motorsport facility at which the sound level exceeds 90 decibels at any time."

Keyword being OUTSIDE of a closed circuit. That means that INSIDE the circuit it's ok to go above 90dB but outside its not. So.....how does this effect drifting?? Im not so sure......as the majority of AZ Drift days are in track...

Sucks for Autocross though.......
          not sure about AZ but here in GA 90% of drift days are in parkinglots.

Comment

the real problem is that it's one motorsport undermining another. sure most drifting is held in tracks but sometimes it is in parking lots like at least one of the D1 events. drifting aside though i think those champ car races on the streets of LBC or San Jose are cool and since there has been demos and even a round of formula d on a street course it actually is affecting drifting. here in nor cal we can't seem to get an event even at a track let alone a parking lot.

Comment

It sucks and the execs who run NASCAR should be indited on attempted establishement of a monopoly but that probably wont happen.

Either way we dont have to worry about this because its not going to pass they got shot down.

Lets just hope they dont try to do this crap in other states..

Comment

Man everyone just loves to jump on NASCAR, I dont get it. The article has both sides of the story but I dont see many facts in there. No proof that NASCAR has anything to do with that proposed law. People should be looking at the guy that introduced the law into hearing, thats the guy thats scewing everyone up. I think some people are just mad that their type of racing will be affected and another type won't. They're making the mistake of dividing the community and trying to place blame on someone instead of uniting the community to fight the law. This is the same mistake people made in Hawaii when our track closed. Whenever something to do with the law can impact any aspect of our automotive hobby, we should all be able to put aside whatever differences we have and stand together. Because thats how you beat these types of introduced laws, strength in numbers. If the community is divided then the community appears weaker than it really is. This is not the first time something like this has happened and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Comment

Hey, what exactly happened in Hawaii anyways?! Will you guys be getting another track???

Comment

Working...
                  X