R32 GT-R good for drift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R32 GT-R good for drift?

Hi, I was planning to buy a R32 GT-R but I was wondering if it's good for drifting because it's 4WD...

The GTS-T is alot cheaper and RWD

my other choices would be an S13 or FC maybe FD in a year because of the law wont let us import FDs yet

what do you guys think?

I don't think you can import anything from japan under 20 years old as anything more than a track only car.

Comment

yes

yes I can, in Canada, the car has to be 15 years or +

R32 can be imported

FD will be available soon

Comment

No reason to import a 3rd generation RX-7, though. They were sold in plentiful numbers on this side of the Pacific. Now, a Cosmo with that big 3 row on the other hand......

Comment

true

i agree that there its not that useful to import a 3rd gen rx-7 but just having it RHD in the public street...everyone looks at you

Comment

Yes 32 will make a good drift car, depends on how much money you want to spend though, for a begginer car start with an s13 or s14. Fc's are great cars also. If you get a 32 get a gts-t.

Comment

I really like the FC but the rotary freaks me out, I heard so many stories, problems, etc...

as for gts-t, can you actually go sideways with the stock rb20det ? i thought it was a little bit too weak vs r32's weight

Comment

Originally posted by steph3n
                I really like the FC but the rotary freaks me out, I heard so many stories, problems, etc...

as for gts-t, can you actually go sideways with the stock rb20det ? i thought it was a little bit too weak vs r32's weight
                Its got enough power I run a pretty stock ka and rip on it in my s14

Comment

there's plenty of power to get you "sideways."

Comment

Hi, I was planning to buy a R32 GT-R but I was wondering if it's good for drifting because it's 4WD...

The GTS-T is alot cheaper and RWD

my other choices would be an S13 or FC maybe FD in a year because of the law wont let us import FDs yet

what do you guys think?
                    I had a R32 GT-R before and drifted the shxt out of it. It was a fun and sexy car. But comes in a hefty price tag.

The GT-R is very well built. Can't beat the RB26. Chassis is strong from the factory. Besides that, however, there is really no point getting the GT-R for drifting. The ATTESSA/HICAS and all that electronics are not useful if you want to go sideways. The fuse to the 4WD system is pulled to make it RWD to make it truly driftable. All that electronics make the GT-R handle well but they complicate and make everything expensive for maintenance. They also add a lot of weight to the car.

For a drift car, you want something simple, be able to beat on it and drive home (hopefully). You can get a much cheaper GTS-T, strengthen the chassis and put a RB26 in it and make it just like the GT-R but more light weight and simple.

If you just started drifting, get a S13/14 with KA. Learning on a low powered car is much recommanded because you are going to be spoiled by the GT-R with power. I learned so much more driving a beat up S13 with a 12 valve compared to the mighty GT-R. Plus, fixing any mishap you might have drifting the car is a lot cheaper and easier on a simple S13/14. Parts are also more abundant and easy to get so you will have less down time with the car.

Good luck.
                    Last edited by Hubert Young; 08-14-2006, 04:13 PM.
                    Hubert Young
                    KORE 8 Films

Comment

Hubert, maybe you can answer this for me honestly because I've never quite caught on even after having slid S13's around. What is it that makes the S13 chassis 240SX so preferred?

I just never quite caught what makes them preferable. I owned a 3rd gen Firebird for a while, and it felt so much more predictable and recovered so much better than the 240SX I tossed around. To me, at least, it felt like the Firebird was more stable in drift, easier to catch when it started to go around, and changed direction with more ease.

Did I miss something when I drove the 240SX?

Comment

Originally posted by Octagon
                        Hubert, maybe you can answer this for me honestly because I've never quite caught on even after having slid S13's around. What is it that makes the S13 chassis 240SX so preferred?

I just never quite caught what makes them preferable. I owned a 3rd gen Firebird for a while, and it felt so much more predictable and recovered so much better than the 240SX I tossed around. To me, at least, it felt like the Firebird was more stable in drift, easier to catch when it started to go around, and changed direction with more ease.

Did I miss something when I drove the 240SX?
                        It really depends on what kind of mods you have on the cars. Assuming they are both stock, the 240 definitely has an edge because of its weight. And definitely can pull a steeper angle than your Firebird. The ease of catching the drift on your Firebird may be attributed to the longer wheel base and more available power than the 240, making the Firebird easier to maintain drift if there is not enough entry speed. Or simply using the power to do power slide, which is technically not drifting.

The 240 is preferred not solely because it's lighter than the cars in comparison here. In fact, it's not that light. But it's preferred because it's a known formula with plenty of quality and reasonably priced after market parts available. Get some sport line springs and shock and you are ready to go! Spend a $100 and you get more steering angle. Imagine figuring out how to get more angle on your Firebird. I have yet to see bolt on parts for that.

I am not saying Firebird is not driftable nor it's a bad drift car. It definitely has potential. If you like to figure things out and fabricate parts yourself and do R&D to make it work, it might turn out to be one of the best drift cars out there. Look at Rhy's GTO. Or the upcoming Charger that Samuel is going to be driving. But they did spend quite a bit of money and lots of time into their R&D, which are luxuries that most of us on this board probably don't have.

Remember, you can make anything with 4 wheels to do whatever you want if enough money is spent. The 240 is better because it's a more plug and play and cheaper alternative than most cars out there. Simply put, money spent on a 240 gives you more results and increase in performance than the same amount of money spent on other cars.
                        Hubert Young
                        KORE 8 Films

Comment

True, the plug and play aspect probably helps a lot. However, I'll let you in on a little secret about my 'Bird.

It was a 2.8L V6. lol No powersliding there. Tossed it in with feints.

But, I can see your point about angle. Best thing I could do for angle would be scavenging some Port City or Dillon latemodel parts (rack & pinion steering box with longer tie rod, instead of worm & sector, longer lower control arms) and then refab the upper strut plates to move them out a few inches onto a downtube off the firewall mainstructure (root of the a-pillar).

Fabrication is a big part of campaigning a supermodified, so this sort of thing is pretty bog standard in my world.

Comment

Not a good choice for drifting if you keep it AWD. If you are interested in skylines visit www.gtrcanada.com

Comment

R32 GT-R has the power, but a GTS is a cheaper base to start with. Not only was Hubert drifting a GT-R, it was one of 1453 Vspec R32's.

He was good enough in it to be one of the few US drivers to qualify for the first D1 event in the US.

Comment

Working...
                              X