Pro Drag Racer builds drift car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by akuma S14
    Guys, I will be the first to admit to Sean Carlson has mad skill. He made a Viper into a D-car, which is a lot different than building a tried and tested platform like the S chassis.
    I think any motivated person can do the right research and build a crazy S chassis. The formula is out there. Like chocolate chip cookies. That's all.
    I guess since I was the first one to jump on this and boo it,I better clarify myself. I was dissapointed not because this guy is a drag racer but because I dissagree with the fact that it is easier for a drag racer to build a drift car! It is like the wookie theory. It makes no sense.

Good luck with the build again.

Chassis set-up is very important in every form of motorsports. Now referring to it being easier, i was referring to the fact that drag racer's are out to pump as much power as possible out of those motors. I guess I was being too general but as Bryan stated: "I think it is as much driver as it is car. I mean a lot of the guys (and girls) out there drifting basically have a stock 240 with a cage and a SR20 with bolt-ons". Anyone can go out and drift and be really good but you can't do that with drag racing. You could a 400hp car to be competative in drifting. To be competative in PRO-drag racing you should have around a 800-1000hp vehicle. Am I right?

Just my 2 cents...

Comment

From a HP standpoint you are correct. 400 hp is very competitive for drifting.

I was not trying to rain on your parade, just some of the things said in the interview make no sense. Such as: how do you plan to get 400 hp with bolt-ons? I build SR engines for a living. I have yet to see a 400hp SR with only bolt-on items. If you mean that MHG's,pistons,rods,injectors,cams,turb unit, and ROM tune are considered bolt-ons then maybe you'll be getting 400hp. Get realistic. Most people are making 250-300hp in those "stock S13's with a cage" .
      I wish this guy all the luck in the world with his build. But just because JOJO Callos' name is dropped doesn't mean he can put a FMIC and a muffler on the car and then presto! 400hp! I don't usually see things happen that way. I charge 7-10k to build a 400hp setup. So be honest with the people out there so they don't get the impression that bolt-on parts =400hp.

I would say drift car set up requires a lot more than drag race set up. Drifting requires throttle control, straight line grip, lateral grip, steering angle work, Brake balance,reliability to run all damn day, etc. While Drag racing is pretty simple - keep it straight and WOT, for about 10-15 seconds. You only have to worry about going straight and getting traction, plus there is the actual time (running hours) you will be putting on the engine (I think there is quite a difference there).
      I am not ripping on drag racers - I drag at almost every stoplight .

BTW just trying to have a conversation Frankie. If you feel like I'm flaming you, please don't take it that way.

Terry
      Akuma World / EF Madness
      Drift Buffet
      Last edited by akuma S14; 09-08-2006, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Terry,

No I totally understand... Good to see things from your side. Your right building a car to last that long can be hard to do. Of course making 400 is impossible with standard bolt on's. I was just speaking for myself comparing a drifting car to a drag car. Bryan was referring to using the right car and people can put bolt ons and drift the car practice and become good. Let's just see how this car comes out and how he does when he starts drifting it.

Frankie5
        Last edited by FrankieFive; 09-08-2006, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieFive
          Chassis set-up is very important in every form of motorsports. Now referring to it being easier, i was referring to the fact that drag racer's are out to pump as much power as possible out of those motors. I guess I was being too general but as Bryan stated: "I think it is as much driver as it is car. I mean a lot of the guys (and girls) out there drifting basically have a stock 240 with a cage and a SR20 with bolt-ons". Anyone can go out and drift and be really good but you can't do that with drag racing. You could a 400hp car to be competative in drifting. To be competative in PRO-drag racing you should have around a 800-1000hp vehicle. Am I right?

Just my 2 cents...

I could build a competitive drag car with 100hp. It all depends on classing.

Don't expect an unsorted "400hp car" to do well in FD or D1.

Comment

oops ... I left my account logged in and spiderman came up and ...

Yeah whatever AL.

I live down here, I know Viet Lam, we go way back. I am scared.
            Read the Article. I took the time to read it..
            Viet Lam is a scam artist man, I find it funny to see his name in there...we operate out of the same location that viet lam used to up here in portland and from what I understand about him is that he is a pioneer but not in any good sense. Anywho, back on topic

Comment

Ka-T > SR

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Peters
                weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd
                mikey makes me laugh! LS1>KA-t>yo momma

Comment

Viet Lam was a scam artist. You may be able to bracket race with a 100hp car but never do anything in any pro classes. We are not worried about the horse power most of our efforts are going into the chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by BandwagonS13
                    Viet Lam was a scam artist. You may be able to bracket race with a 100hp car but never do anything in any pro classes. We are not worried about the horse power most of our efforts are going into the chassis.

That's exactly my point. It works both ways.
                    Last edited by BenR; 09-27-2006, 12:05 PM. Reason: That's exactly my point.

Comment

Working...
                    X