ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PRO/SEMI-Pro FORMULA D Divisions? An idea....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRO/SEMI-Pro FORMULA D Divisions? An idea....

This is long, but hear me out.

There are a couple of things that I have noticed over the past 3 years of drifting in the US which have led me to this conclusion.

Basically, since day 1, I have noticed that the same 20 or so drivers are always in the top 16, and when it comes down to it, there are only 12 or so drivers who actually win tandem battles and are able to move on. While there are 40-50 drivers on tour, this means that more drivers come to the events and never even have their name announced to the crowd than actually do. Furthermore, some of these drivers have made it into Top 16 on more than one occasion, but when it comes time for tandem, they're seeded against the top 4 or 5 drivers, and really have no chance. I believe there were only 2 cases this year (and none in years past) where the number 16 qualifier eliminated the number 1 qualifier. To me, this isn't fair to the drivers who spend thousands in travel costs to get almost no opportunity to showcase their skills to a packed audience. Finally, only 9 different drivers actually stepped foot on the podium this year. This is an all time high in FD history, but I think there are more than 9 drivers who dfeserve to be showcased in front of others.

Another thing which occurs is that there are also long breaks. First of all, no cars are driving on track until 12pm at any event. Additionally, even with the long qualifying process of top 32, there is often a 1.5 to 2 hour break between qualifying and top 16. I realize that this break is necessary for the teams to prepare the cars for competition, but that doesn't mean that other drivers can't be competing. In the past, some spectators have suggested that drivers who didn't make the competition come out and

What I'm hinting at is that there could be a second tier of 'competition' created. Previously, I have tried to come up with a way to split up the competition, and couldn't figure it out. But, this weekend I ran into some drifters who were visiting from Pro Drift in Ireland, and they told me how things are organized over there. Basically, there is a "Pro" division and a "Semi Pro" division, both of which compete at all of the Formula D events. They also have an "amateur" division which is basically what the Drift Day competition uses - solo runs which are judged, and the winner is determined without any tandem competition.

I think this could be applied to FD, and logistically could work.
    Pro competition - normal FD comp. 16 drivers on friday + 16 top seeded drivers. I think this could almost be cut down to 20 or 25 'eligible' drivers overall, then the other drivers are allowed to compete in "semi pro"

Semi pro - basically, for people who can't compete with rhys / sam / tanner / JR / etc... these are people who are still given a chance to compete and win a 'formula d' event. You could do the same thing - must have a Formula D license to enter, but you must 'graduate' from semi-pro to pro. Maybe the top 4 or 5 drivers in the season points can move up to pro the following year. Or maybe have east / west regional winners, so that teams who can't afford to run the whole series are given an opportunity to win a 'championship' for their sponsors.

Drivers who I think would be perfect for 'semi pro' - enjuku (rob and John), Bill Sherman, Wes Hamachi, Andy Sapp, Takahiro Fujita, Al Lagura, Tony Angelo, Ryan Tuerck (he's looked awesome in practice, but hasn't gotten very far in tandems), Tony B., Hiromi, Steph Papdakis, Todd Ho, Steph Verdier, Big Smoke Schwartz, Quoc Ly, maybe Robbie Nishida, maybe ross petty, hubert young, etc. I think that a tandem competition between this level of drivers would be absolutely awesome to watch!

This does a couple of things
    - gives these drivers a fair and competitive arena to compete in, in front of thousands of Formula D fans.
    - gives more publicity to these drivers - I can see most magazines / media outlets running results of semi pro / pro side by side just like different divisions in drag racing are published (top fuel / funny car, or hot rod / modified in sport compact racing).
    - gives more seat time and track time to these drivers.

If you're tight on time, you could run top 8 competition for the 'semi pro' division. But if you move the start time up from 12 noon to 10am, and cut the break down to 30 minutes (remember, with 2 divisions, the break between end of qualifying for 1 division and begining of tandem is still a full hour and a half or so), I think you can still fit this into the same time slot. It would be a bit more work for the judges and the track crew, but it would also be less downtime (again, can be good and bad). You still have the same number of drivers attending each event and making qualifying passes, you just add a few more tandem runs.

You would still have 50 drivers at each event. But you'd have 24 / 32 drivers driving tandem, and you have 2 seperate podiums. More tandem experience, more publicity for the not-so-funded teams, more entertainment for the fans, etc.

What does everybody think?

*again, this is my own crazy brain creating it's own crazy idea for competition, i haven't run this by Formula D or anyone else for that matter*
    Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 10-17-2006, 04:28 PM.

i think it would be a great idea to see some intermission drifting from say the 17 to 22 qualifiers while the top 16 prepair to run tandem or after the first round of cars run tandem or something.

Comment

Tony Angelo beat the number one qualifier at seattle in a borrowed car he never drove before...... Ryan Tuerck also smoked Dai yoshihara at sonoma....This idea has merit, but i'd rather just see tandem be like top 20 instead of top 16........

Comment

i always hated the fact where teh number 1 qualifier and number 16 qualifier have to battle. most of the time it number 16 loses and number 1 wins. this is why we have the same people winning over and over. i know the people taht are winning are really really good drivers but lower qualifiers should be given chances too

Comment

hahaha, call it formula d street legal!

kidding, just kidding.

Comment

Hello, I have been saying since day one they should make better use of the track time during these long breaks let the people who didnt qualify run the course in order to kinda keep the crowd interested.And that will get those guys some more practice.Im not knocking FD but how long can it continue with the SOS. I remember when I went to Sonoma during the first season about half of the day was a waste and again the same thing at LBC this year. What would be cool is if during an FD event when there is downtime they made it an open track for qualified individuals with a registration cap of 20-30 cars solo runs

Comment

Originally posted by A.Kors180 View Post
              Tony Angelo beat the number one qualifier at seattle in a borrowed car he never drove before...... Ryan Tuerck also smoked Dai yoshihara at sonoma....This idea has merit, but i'd rather just see tandem be like top 20 instead of top 16........
              Tuerck and Angelo have won 1 time each, out of how many times they have been in tandem? i'd rather see Tuerck vs Angelo on a regular basis to see more competitive runs.

top 20 doesn't work because of the way the eliminations work. 16 cars go to 8 cars to 4 to 2 to 1. It works perfectly with a winner and loser.

If you have top 20, that goes to top 10, which leaves 5 competitors, and then what do you do?

Originally posted by slideways2004 View Post
              i always hated the fact where teh number 1 qualifier and number 16 qualifier have to battle. most of the time it number 16 loses and number 1 wins. this is why we have the same people winning over and over. i know the people taht are winning are really really good drivers but lower qualifiers should be given chances too
              so who should 16 battle?

1 vs 16 is the only way to have it. the top qualifier should have the 'easiest' opponent. Ideally, the 1st and 2nd qualifiers would then meet in the finals.

Kazu lost to Casper in Sonoma, and Tony Angelo beat Taka Aono in Seattle, both of those were 1 vs 16 showdowns.

Originally posted by UNITEDMASTER View Post
              Hello, I have been saying since day one they should make better use of the track time during these long breaks let the people who didnt qualify run the course in order to kinda keep the crowd interested.And that will get those guys some more practice.Im not knocking FD but how long can it continue with the SOS. I remember when I went to Sonoma during the first season about half of the day was a waste and again the same thing at LBC this year. What would be cool is if during an FD event when there is downtime they made it an open track for qualified individuals with a registration cap of 20-30 cars solo runs
              The problem comes in when one of these cars wreck. That means more downtime / clean up time, and more restless fans. Also, the only way to make it interesting is to allow the drivers to do exhibition runs (not the qualifying line) which is a huge insurance risk.

The plan I came up with just divides the skill levels in 2 and allows everyone to run in a more competitive "bracket".
              Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 10-21-2006, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
                Tuerck and Angelo have won 1 time each, out of how many times they have been in tandem? i'd rather see Tuerck vs Angelo on a regular basis to see more competitive runs.

top 20 doesn't work because of the way the eliminations work. 16 cars go to 8 cars to 4 to 2 to 1. It works perfectly with a winner and loser.

If you have top 20, that goes to top 10, which leaves 5 competitors, and then what do you do?

so who should 16 battle?

1 vs 16 is the only way to have it. the top qualifier should have the 'easiest' opponent. Ideally, the 1st and 2nd qualifiers would then meet in the finals.

Kazu lost to Casper in Sonoma, and Tony Angelo beat Taka Aono in Seattle, both of those were 1 vs 16 showdowns.

The problem comes in when one of these cars wreck. That means more downtime / clean up time, and more restless fans. Also, the only way to make it interesting is to allow the drivers to do exhibition runs (not the qualifying line) which is a huge insurance risk.

The plan I came up with just divides the skill levels in 2 and allows everyone to run in a more competitive "bracket".

I was in top 16 ONCE all year, qualed 16th and then beat the first place qualifier, and wound up top 8, losing to seigo (after i passed him, whoops). Tuerck made top 16 twice, and wound up top 8 once, why dont you look to the guys who consistently make top 16 and never actually win tandem rounds .. because theres plenty of them
                -Don't forget the struggle. Don't forget the streets-

www.driftalliance.com
                www.clubloose.com

Listen to Motley Crue

Comment

How about we do a team competition before top 16?
                  BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer View Post
                    How about we do a team competition before top 16?
                    Yeah, I support! More seat time for the competitors. More interesting show for the spectators.
                    Hubert Young
                    KORE 8 Films

Comment

Originally posted by Hubert Young View Post
                      Yeah, I support! More seat time for the competitors. More interesting show for the spectators.
                      Agreed, team comps are awesomeeee
                      -Don't forget the struggle. Don't forget the streets-

www.driftalliance.com
                      www.clubloose.com

Listen to Motley Crue

Comment

texas is having it's first team competition out at mineral wells this weekend. suddenly its cool it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronlosey View Post
                          texas is having it's first team competition out at mineral wells this weekend. suddenly its cool it seems.
                          Naw, team comps have been cool since hula hoops. I'd love to see this at FD between sessions.

Comment

As I have seen it this season, FD has made a lot of changes for the better but for privateers its almost impossible to travel and campaign without lots of $$$ out of pocket. This isnt helped by the fact that drivers that dont qualifiy top 16 doint get any exposure at all. I understand you have to prove yourself but its the same argument the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The drivers that are continually top dogs have more r&d time, more money into the cars and a lot more practice in competion. Makes it very difficult for smaller drivers with no team, just a car and a dream Maybe my opinion is biased but its what I have experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by brainfood View Post
                              As I have seen it this season, FD has made a lot of changes for the better but for privateers its almost impossible to travel and campaign without lots of $$$ out of pocket. This isnt helped by the fact that drivers that dont qualifiy top 16 doint get any exposure at all. I understand you have to prove yourself but its the same argument the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The drivers that are continually top dogs have more r&d time, more money into the cars and a lot more practice in competion. Makes it very difficult for smaller drivers with no team, just a car and a dream Maybe my opinion is biased but its what I have experienced.
                              Nobody is going to argue with you about that. The question is - how do you change that?

I just made a proposal for a way to change that you got any ideas / feedback on it?

Comment

Working...
                              X