X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
    Couple things:

- this has been on the EverythingDrift site for almost a week now

- Nopi sees their drag racing events going downhill both for attendance and racer turnout, and people pay way more attention to drifters doing donuts and rodeos in a corner of the parking lot than a lot of the drag racing, so now they're bringing in a drifting competition to the same events. It's my understanding that a majority of the drifting events will be run at the same time as the NDRA events. This means that with only a few more staff members, Nopi can throw 2 events at once. Less costs out of pocket, less marketing (Than if they were to promote 2 completely different series at the same time), etc. But this also highlights the fact that Drifting is just another 'side show' to the NOPI circus. In any event, when drifting is not the main focus, the competition will suffer.

- Nopi is known for passing all cars through tech just to get more paying customers and keep their numbers up. This is not safe for anyone. There has long been discussion about this on drag racing message boards, and i don't see the drifting tech being any easier. In fact, I see them passing cars with a cage and calling it good. I know many of the FD cars had to make modifications in the offseason to pass tech last year because the tech is getting stricter and stricter. In fact, at the final event, a new car almost didn't pass because they didn't have a big enough fire extinguisher, and it wasn't mounted in the right place. I was happy to know that they were just as strict on a new car as they are on all other cars, instead of NOPI which is notorious for "fix it next time"

- publicity - it's not like there are new outlets for publicity that aren't already running drifting coverage! Drifting magazine is gone, PAS / Modified / Super Street / D Sport / HCI / S3 / DialD / other smaller magazines run coverage of drifting. Some of them either don't run coverage of drag racing, or only run NHRA drag racing events. Is Nopi's series going to get more print than FD? definately not. Will it get the same? more than likely not. Magazines are already stretching their budget thin as it is, I don't see them sending a photographer to a NOPI event now if they don't already. Nopi does have a staff photographer (As does FD), but his photos aren't the greatest, and while they get more coverage using that staff photographer than they would with no photogrpaher, I don't see more magazines running their content any more. That means it's a battle of TV shows. Nopi already crams a lot into their TV show, and very little coverage of the actual drag racing. Are you telling me that they're now going to have full drifting coverage in the same time slot? or are they actually buying more TV time? either way, i'd rather watch a TV show dedicated to Drifting than one that has Drag Racing, Bikini Contest, and all that other crap all crammed together. People on here are already harsh of G4's coverage of FD this year and how it doesn't focus on the drifters enough. You think Nopi's coverage is going to be any better? That brings the advertiser into the picture - same problem. If you want to target the drifter, which show do you pay to advertise on? Even if G4 gets a smaller audience, they're a much more targeted audience, I'd be tempted to advertise on that show than on speed.

- I don't see how any of the major teams can afford to run both series. I see this forcing tire companies to make a commitment to one series or another. I know falken was very close to being over budget this year (which is why they cut some of their drivers from last year). I don't see them making any NDRA events. I know Toyo and Nitto also are tight on budget, I don't see them providing anything more than tires. BFG / Bridgestone barely sponsors any drifters, and with their huge efforts in other motorsports, I don't see a lot of support being available to NDRA (especially since there is little support now for the NDRA from these companies - BFG sponsors a class in NHRA, but not NOPI). So that means that NDRA really is relying on A) non-tire companies to sponsor racers (of which, there's only a handful who even compete in FD! Enjuku, JIC, Rotora used to, Milano, Monstor, 240sx motoring, and that's about it). or B) non-endemics (rockstar, redbull, x-box, etc). If i'm a non-endemic, i want to be a part of the best series, not the brand new one. X-box can only sponsor so many teams...

which means...

- NDRA may have a few teams come over (probably enjuku, maybe some of the other smaller teams) who will more-than-likely dominate because of their experience. But, NDRA will call them "champions of the NDRA pro series". If you're in 3rd grade, and you beat all the kids on the 1st grade kickball field, do you brag about how you're the champion? maybe it's just me, but I'd rather beat 1 or 2 5th graders as a 3rd grader and elevate my level of competition than beat up on the little kids. How legitimate is their drifting series if that's what happens?

The NHRA sport compact finals are this weekend. Results will be posted over on http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/ . Compare the car turnouts to the ones at the NDRA finals 2 weeks ago - http://ndra.nopi.com/eqraces/dsp_qua...cfm?vshowid=72

You'll see WAY larger turnouts for similar fields:
    NHRA = all motor, NDRA = Pro Stock
    NHRA = hot rod, NDRA = pro 4 cylinder
    NHRA = modified, NDRA = pro compact
    NHRA = Pro FWD, NDRA = Pro Outlaw FWD
    NHRA = Pro RWD, NDRA = Pro Outlaw RWD
    NHRA = Sport FWD, NDRA = Turbo Street

You'll see that NDRA has way fewer competitors, and in many cases, the 4th / 5th / 6th place teams in NHRA are the ones winning in NDRA.

I'm failing to see the enticement of the NOPI drifting series, unless they are just hoping that enough people have beef with Formula D to jump ship.
    For once, I think we're in agreement on most of these points. There's even more history to the NDRA's formation, their rules and payout structure and the reasons they are growing more lax on tech inspection...I suppose I could share if anyone really wanted this info but ultimately, I think most will agree that further "dividing up" of an already small pie will most likely dilute and hurt the sport rather than promote the growth of it....unless of course, NOPI is willing to throw tons of money at the PR.

What confuses me is this...isn't NOPI in business to sell parts? I'm well aware of their big event in Atlanta each year, but even that is built around selling parts. I guess I never understood the motivation to be in the event business.

In any case, there's some serious talent inside their organization and if egos are checked and they focus on what's good for the drivers, there's a good chance they can make a go of it.

I wish them every success.

Comment

my .02

i give everyone/everything a fair chance.

formula d made drifting in usa happen. they stuck their neck out, pulled the 1st tv coverage. i like g4 but ill admit its not cbs, but mad props to g4 and formula d for teaming up and bringing tv and drifting their 1st relationship, which has helped push the sport a little further.

formula d has been more than fair to all the teams/drivers no matter what people whine about, because honestly it is nothing more than pure whining.

this is why ill give fd my 1st priority next year, but but but im more than open to more events if they make sure the drivers/teams can do it. none of this make a schedule, promises and bail crap that almost every other series has done. there is no money in this sport right now, please dont come in thinking otherwise with promises of "im doing it for drifitng" because it only hurts the sport. make money off ebay or something. all your diong is 1) pissing people off 2) taking money from drivers 3) pissing off companies so they wont want to deal with drifting 4) leaving drivers hanging when they plan to go to your events, that dont happen 5) hurting the venues 6) you all should get the point by now. it just puts a crappy label on drifting, and leaves a horrible taste in everyones mouth.

theres one thing that makes drifting cool, and that is the drifters. as long as people understand this, and that there is a limited driver pool then thats cool.

if this turns into a pissing match, ill stay with fd. they laid the foundation, and if i can do next year, ill keep my crappy shack on their concrete because i know its a good place to go drift competitively.

but im always open and pretty fair, and wish everyone good luck. i just want to drift race.

i also agree with lance, practice days need help.

im also watchingtv and posting during commercials, but whatever. ill reread and edit it later if i need to

Comment

I was a little off as to which classes match up to which. NDRA classes are obscure because the rules keep changing to try and have more cars come out....
        Originally posted by Slapshotnerd
        NHRA = all motor, NDRA = Pro Stock
        NHRA = hot rod, NDRA = Pro Outlaw FWD (combined)
        NHRA = modified, NDRA = Pro Outlaw RWD / Pro Compact
        NHRA = Pro FWD, NDRA = Pro Outlaw FWD (combined)
        NHRA = Pro RWD, NDRA = no class (pro extreme compact is running similar cars)
        Lets look at the turnouts:
        NHRA A/M - 11 cars, NHRA finals Pomona
        NDRA P/S - 6 cars (4 are the same)

NHRA H/R - 9 cars - 8.24 fastest time, 8/9 cars 9.7 or faster
        NHRA Pro FWD - 7 cars, 5 are in the 7's
        NDRA Pro FWD outlaw - 8 cars, 3 nhra p-fwd, 3 nhra HR

NHRA modified - 9 cars, 8 qualified (8.82 bump spot), 5 cars in the 7's
        NDRA Pro Compact - 3 cars, all v8's (which nopi allowed in to fill the class, but they dominated due to the uneven rules)
        NDRA Pro Outlaw RWD - 7 cars, 3 are mustangs, the winner was .5 seconds faster than the next fastest entrant.

NHRA Pro RWD - 4 cars, 3 cars running 6.x's within .5 seconds of each other, 3rd place qualifier won the event
        NDRA Pro Extreme Compact - 2 dragsters, don nase ran 6.4x in a full dragster rail...

NHRA Sport FWD - 21 cars for the 16 car field, bump spot was 11.7, top qualifier was 9.6, winner was 6th qualifier.
        Nhra Quick 16 - 43 cars for the 16 car field, 11.06 bump spot, top qualifier was 10.1

the NHRA is the more professional series, and the racers are attending their events much better.
        Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 10-23-2006, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Having spoken directly to Michael Meyers already he states he does not intend to create a competing series to Formula Drift and does not intend on stepping on anyone's toes but more to work with drivers on the east coast they cannot get into our events.

Though we have acknowledged that creation of multiple, similar drifting series will aid in killing the sport, we intend to maintain an open door policy of communication with anyone that comes about. I think one of the main differences between anyone that comes into drifting and us is that Formula Drift contracts exclusively with our venues (exception Irwindale) and being that there is a shortage of high-level drifting venues available here in the states anybody that starts something will have to use parking lots or other venues that may not be as applicable for a professional drifting level.

I think come SEMA, the dust will settle and people will be able to see what everyone has planned for 2007. Having been doing this job for close to 5 years full time, you see things from the ground level and are able to make sense of what is and what is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D View Post
            I think one of the main differences between anyone that comes into drifting and us is that Formula Drift contracts exclusively with our venues (exception Irwindale) and being that there is a shortage of high-level drifting venues available here in the states anybody that starts something will have to use parking lots or other venues that may not be as applicable for a professional drifting level.
            The only respectable courses in FD are Road Atlanta and Sonoma, Irwindale is classic and historical for American drifting but all the rest can go for all I care....beat down ovals and parking lots aren't cool anymore. Now with that being said, your saying that NOPI cant find good road courses to run on in the east coast, I'm pretty sure that nopi can do it. Will they... we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D View Post
              Having spoken directly to Michael Meyers already he states he does not intend to create a competing series to Formula Drift and does not intend on stepping on anyone's toes but more to work with drivers on the east coast they cannot get into our events.

Though we have acknowledged that creation of multiple, similar drifting series will aid in killing the sport, we intend to maintain an open door policy of communication with anyone that comes about. I think one of the main differences between anyone that comes into drifting and us is that Formula Drift contracts exclusively with our venues (exception Irwindale) and being that there is a shortage of high-level drifting venues available here in the states anybody that starts something will have to use parking lots or other venues that may not be as applicable for a professional drifting level.

I think come SEMA, the dust will settle and people will be able to see what everyone has planned for 2007. Having been doing this job for close to 5 years full time, you see things from the ground level and are able to make sense of what is and what is not.

I was right! ahhh...annnnyyywhooooooo ...now that things are a bit clearer anyone want to take a stab at which east coast teams are going to run with NOPI?

When I first suspected this would be an east coast series the first team I thought of was Enjuku..Im sure there are others though...predictions anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                When I first suspected this would be an east coast series the first team I thought of was Enjuku..Im sure there are others though...predictions anyone?
                Before this goes any further I would like to make a comment: Enjuku has not made any indication that they is going to desert Formula D. I am not intimate with any concrete plans but I don't expect to see Enjuku anywhere else but FD.

Comment

The point I am trying to make it that there is no argument that there are limited good drifting facilities. Good drifting facilities = ability to put on a good show, have proper seating or grandstands (thus eliminating certain road courses) and the ability to pull a decent crowd. Are there road courses out there that would be good for drifting? Sure there are. We have done demo's at more than a handful. Road America, Portland, etc. Having done research in almost ever state to see what venues will work causes many to get ruled out for one MAJOR reason or another. It's not hard to find out what venues exist in this country and even more so which ones will work for drifting.

FYI, FD is likely eliminating our Chicago event next year so that means zero parking lots and only road courses, ovals or street races. All of which are great for drifting competitions and the feeling of a real event that sponsors and consumers like and request.

Lets look at the venues:

Long Beach - Awesome event, great mystic, drifting on real city streets
                  Road Atlanta - You acknowledge this is a great event and great venue... It is.
                  Chicago - As I stated, it is likely gone in 2007
                  Sonoma - World class venue
                  Seattle - Oval, similar to Irwindale but course configured different, one of the best events all season, super high speed drifting and viewing from all seating.
                  Wall - Small, yes, but I think a lot of people would argue against you on it being a crap venue. It's one of if not the only venue in the Northeast that has most of the criteria needed for and FD event.

Additionally, considering our relationship with Champ Car, what other venues are drift applicable considering the necessary items of a good drifting venue? I can think of a few.... Denver: great section of turns, seating for over 20k in those areas... Cleveland: Great section of turns seating for 50k to view. Can the San Jose street course be altered in one way or another to work? See what I mean?

For drifting to keep growing you have to have the right venues to make it happen. Unfortunately for us, there are not "drifting specific" venues here in the US. So you must improvise. Ovals like Irwidnale size are great, places like Road Atlanta and Sonoma are great with their inground seating. So where else? As in Champ Car, they needed to expand to city streets to grow the audience and create more competitive rounds and create exciting content. Until we have those drifting specific venues, Formula Drift has to be creative so you may see us follow that model and those venues are awesome places to play as ANY driver in FD will tell you. To have a successful, competitive drifting event you can't put it in parking lot or a road course with no grand stand seating (FYI, grands stand seating can cost fom $2-$10 a seat depending on where you get it from. Do the math, it doesnt make sense for the audiences that are supporting drifting right now). It has to be in a place where sponsors can get recognition and drivers can put on world class drifting and in a region that will pull a decent crowd. Those places are few and far between, but thankfully we have the great honor with working with many of them exclusively.

Comment

personally...i think FD should drop sonoma...the course is really weird...like...super crazy long straight...into sharp sweeper...into hairpin..into long switchback

really really...akward

but thats just me

Comment

The location of the race track is a factor as well. The two road courses that were chosen are reasonably close to major cities where the import scene has made some inroads. Infineon Raceway is probably the most "isolated" of the venues chosen for Formula D.

From what I see, Portland International Raceway would require portable grandstand seating to be installed. Road America is a great track, but it's relatively in the middle of nowhere. Even Formula 1 would like to see races held within an hour's drive of a major city. This is the reason many road courses in the U.S. weren't chosen.

Also, has anyone conducted surveys to find out the percentage of attendees who live within about 1 hour of the track (or 1 1/2 for Infineon Raceway)? HIN attendance in various cities might also be worth investigating.

Comment

There is some good discussion going on in here. There are some points that I never thought of. Thanks for bringing them to light I'm glad to hear that NOPI and FD are on speaking terms and seem to be handling this well. Hopefully they can work together and not step on each others toes. If they can, I think they will be good role models for smaller grass roots organizations and may actually have the opportunity to help the image of drifting. I guess we'll see. I wish the very best of luck to everyone involved.

Comment

Well, I told myself I was not going to get into a pissing match about the new drift series, but slapshotnerd has made a liar out of me.

Slapshot, there are a few things that you failed to put into your little rants earlier.
                          How do you know about the NDRA attendance numbers? I am sure you have not even seen what they were in 2003, much less2004, 2005 and 2006. You are making comments based on your opionion, not facts. Just to clue you in, they are climbing every year not declining. Who cares what the spectators come to see, as long as they are there showing thier support for the industry.

As far as your understanding on how the events and where the events will be held, you once again have no clue. We have scheduled only 2 events to be double events (Drag and Drifting) as of yet. At the best we would only be able to do it at 3 events, so as far as I can tell, there will be 5 -6 stand alone events. So there goes another one of your theories down the toilet it creeped out of.

You say the NDRA passes cars through tech because we are money hungry. How stupid of a statement is that? You must be a Dave Buschur fan, huh? We actually have to try and turn cars away from competition due to the schedule we have to maintain to be done on time. I take offense to the statement that we let people slide by on tech. Especially since several of the tech staff in the last 2 years have been racers and engine builders in this industry. We were the first Sport Compact Drag Racing sanctioning body to make head and neck restraints mandatory for any car quicker than 9.59. We were the first to also mandate engine diapers for any car 9.59 and quicker. But yet we do not cars about the racers safety.

As far as the TV coverage goes for the series, Speed is wanting to allot more shows to the series. You can make your own assumption from there, since I know you will anyway. Unfortunately, as we have seen over the years with the TV program, the formula that Speed has with our tv show is working. The ratings are already larger than most other forms of motorsports on TV outside of Nascar and Powerade and I am sure Formula 1, and they are wanting to make it larger as well as add pod cast and other downloads.

Sponsors: Man you are clueless. Actually BFG does sponsor an NDRA class, Pro Street Tire and they have sponsored it for 4 years now. Dunlop, Toyo, Maxxis, BFG and several others have been affiliated with NOPI Motorsports for several years now, so why do you think it will stop now? Is this just based off of your opionion again or do you have actual facts now?
                          As far as non endemics go, I think you will be pleseantly surprised when the season rolls around.

Now with the last part of the rant.

NDRA car count vs. NHRA car count.

NDRA P/S - 6 - NHRA A/M - 11 (mostly west coast cars)
                          NDRA P4 - 11 - NHRA H/R - 9
                          NDRA PST- 7 - NHRA - No class
                          NDRA PROFWD -10 (5 also ran in the 7's) - NHRA PRO/F - 7
                          NDRA PRORWD -7 - NHRA MOD - 9
                          NDRA P/C - 3 NHRA P/R - 4
                          NDRA X/C - 2 NHRA- No class

NDRA Power Street - 14 (1 power adder/drag radial)
                          NDRA Turbo Street -15 (2 power adders/slicks/drag radials/4&6cyl)
                          NDRA Comp 4 - 9 (N/A 4 Cyl)
                          NDRA Drag Bike - 17
                          NDRA Street Bike - 16
                          NDRA Bracket 14 - 32 (14.99 and quicker)
                          NDRA Bracket 15 - 14 (15.00 and slower)

NHRA 104 Total for competiton at the World Finals
                          NDRA 163 Total for competiton at the World Finals

Who cares what classes people race in, what cars they race, or what size the motor is, as long as they show up to race and put on a good show.
                          The NDRA has classes that the NHRA does not have, that does not mean that the cars are inferior as Slappy would have you believe, but are designed to run with differant regulations vs. the NHRA regulations.

In closing Slap Shot, I wish you a wonderful week and I hope you can attend the press conference on Tursday at SEMA.
                          Also, time for new NHRA Pom Poms, yours look a little weathered.

For those who are serious about the NOPI Drift Series, most of the details will be released next week at the SEMA Show. After that, you can contact me directly. nopitec@nopi.com

Comment

Just .02 from a fan's perspective.

I've watched splits kill open wheel racing, lower car counts, and ruin the show in several different forms of motorsport. I'd hate to see that happen to drifting while it is still growing. I'm all for regional comps that can help smaller venues put on good shows, allow smaller teams to compete, and act as feeder series for the national tour. As for now though, we only need one and only one national series.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsunami View Post
                              Just .02 from a fan's perspective.

I've watched splits kill open wheel racing, lower car counts, and ruin the show in several different forms of motorsport. I'd hate to see that happen to drifting while it is still growing. I'm all for regional comps that can help smaller venues put on good shows, allow smaller teams to compete, and act as feeder series for the national tour. As for now though, we only need one and only one national series.
                              At this point from what I know and have been told, NOPI is not going to be "national". They haven't been with the drag racing and I don't expect them to be with the drifting. They will be a "pro" series, but not venturing to the West Coast. I do know they are planning 1 event in AZ and that's because they have 1 drag racing event there per year ( I guess that's considered the West Coast, sooooo I guess they will have 1 there).

Comment

with what i hear and the understanding of competing series killing drifting i actually think if both parties keep their words of peace and east /west split type deal i think it will actually work out awesome for drifting.

well see.

Comment

Working...
                                X