Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
    huh... why and how?

Most of the cars who make passes in D1 are the sub 300HP vehicles. The ae86s that are nimble and can get under a big bulkier less balanced car with ease. JR and Sam will tell you first hand lol.

I'm a little undecided about the no passing rule, like with Djan vs JR. If it was FD rules JR would have won. I didnt think Djan was running very aggressively, just using his lack of HP to grip up under vaughn's bumper.

But Sam VS Darren, I don't think Darren could 100% match the line of Sam who left his inside line wide open. I like the idea of mimicking the other drivers line, but when he doesnt defend it you should have the right to take it.
    You're on crack. Sam used to pass all the time in his viper... that's hardly a 'low power" car. Rhys loved passing with the GTO, another 'not-so-low' power car. Kazu passed Casper in his 400+hp S15 at Sonoma.

Both passes on Sunday were made when the US driver drove the "Qualifying" line which was wide instead of the tandem line which was much tighter on the infield. Both drivers knew better (especially sam since he had already seen JR get passed taking the same line).

You take the wrong line, you get passed. Before the 'no passing' rule, that was the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
      You're on crack. Sam used to pass all the time in his viper... that's hardly a 'low power" car. Rhys loved passing with the GTO, another 'not-so-low' power car. Kazu passed Casper in his 400+hp S15 at Sonoma.

Both passes on Sunday were made when the US driver drove the "Qualifying" line which was wide instead of the tandem line which was much tighter on the infield. Both drivers knew better (especially sam since he had already seen JR get passed taking the same line).

You take the wrong line, you get passed. Before the 'no passing' rule, that was the case.
      Your right that was the case, and should still be the case if they take the "wrong line".

Anyways fellas its pointless to argue about it haha just enjoy the show and keep drifting. Dont *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*in worry about the drama

Comment

keiichi actually seems to love AE's and V8's... in fact, on friday, the only V8 that didn't qualify was Hampton's, cuz he was way off on all the clipping points. And he also gave licenses to 2 AE's on Thursday night, at least 1 of which I don't think was worth it.

which ae driver did you think didnt deserve a license?

Comment

Why do you keep talking about FD when I clearly stated D1. You watch Ueo and Yoshioka, those dudes pass higher HP cars all the time. Thats what Ueos career is based off of, capitalizing on other drivers mistakes.

Comment

And in FD you have to consider the large gaps of skill level, especially during 05 season when you were still able to pass. Even in the top 16 there are large gaps. Unlike D1, where 25 out of the 32 drivers who qualify have the same amount of skill and experience. How far they go in competition depends on there car, the experience they have in the car, and the crew thats supporting them.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
              And in FD you have to consider the large gaps of skill level, especially during 05 season when you were still able to pass. Even in the top 16 there are large gaps. Unlike D1, where 25 out of the 32 drivers who qualify have the same amount of skill and experience. How far they go in competition depends on there car, the experience they have in the car, and the crew thats supporting them.
              Yeah I agree, but lets say that the rule is in response to this disparity, not due to "it takes more skill to mimic" bs. As much as I enjoy seeing people pass (with angle), I don't wish to see tandem carnage due to unskilled attempts.

Comment

Often times, when you see a pass, the person passing is the one taking the wrong line. an inside line is only faster because it travels a shorter distance. it's like judging a quarter mile run against an eighth mile run...

it's a safe, boring line that doesn't put you close to any walls. also, at irwindale, the inside line is difficult for lower powered cars, regardless of skill. it takes far more skill to get close to the wall and cut into the apex late, as they do in the qualifying runs.

passing is exciting, but the more you know about drifting, the more obvious it is when a pass is just the result of a crappy line taken by mistake. (as was the case when Kazu passed Casper) if the leading driver is doing very poorly, there might be an opening for a pass, and in that case it's perfectly acceptable.

now, unless you take an erratic line in the first half of the course, you're going to have to slow down significantly to stay inside and take a defensive line at irwindale. once you cut your speed down that much, you have to rely on power to keep you going on the inside... so it becomes entirely dependent on the car's power, rather than the driver's skill.

in a sport without car classes or power regulations, it's important that we judge based on driver skill, and take into account the advantages of different cars over others.

as a corolla driver, i'm quite partial to these rules, especially since my corolla doesn't have 300hp.

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
                  Yeah I agree, but lets say that the rule is in response to this disparity, not due to "it takes more skill to mimic" bs. As much as I enjoy seeing people pass (with angle), I don't wish to see tandem carnage due to unskilled attempts.
                  with the course layouts and clipping points assigned by the Formula D judges, it DID take more skill to mimic than to pass... they assigned outside clipping points on walls and such, so they could deduct points from the drivers unable to get their cars close to those walls.

when a car made a pass in FD's 2006 season, it was usually because he missed one of these clipping points due to crappy driving. if a driver can't adhere to the rules set by the judges, he's a bad driver. whether it's fun for the fans or not, these drivers knew the rules and weren't able to follow the proper line because they sucked.

now, this isn't so much a "mimic the leader" rule, as it is an "anything you can do, i can do better" situation.

the idea is to improve upon the leader's line. take the same line, but with more angle. that takes a lot of control, and it's easier to see who is the better driver. more angle = less speed, so if you can match the leader's speed with more angle, it's obvious that you're better.

Professional drifters shouldn't be forced to adhere to what the spectators want. It's the spectators' responsibility to learn enough about drifting so that they can see when someone is actually driving better than someone else, cause the FD judges already have. A lot of drifting fans come from Nascar, Initial D, and street racing, and the rules of their previous motorsport interests can't just transfer over. Drifting isn't a race, and shouldn't be judged as such... if it WAS a race, they sure wouldn't be drifting.

Comment

Originally posted by mr john View Post
                    which ae driver did you think didnt deserve a license?
                    dont trip man, you definately deserved it...... have anybody drive a corolla and then they will understand.

Comment

i think he was referring to the Malaysian guy... no offense if i missed something spectacular, but the runs i saw were not impressive at all... it looked like he was really fighting the car, kinda like Martin Harjani was.

(Martin's using tires that are far too grippy for his setup... people tend to go overboard once their corollas have power, and they forget that the weight and suspension of the car haven't changed at all. ...and having a tire sponsor severely limits your options)

so, i dunno what the malaysian guy's situation was, but the runs i saw didn't warrant a D1 license.

John Russakoff, however, had great line and speed, especially for the amount of power he's got. ...he did GOOOOOOD.

Comment

Originally posted by ohtagerbilhero View Post
                        i think he was referring to the Malaysian guy... no offense if i missed something spectacular, but the runs i saw were not impressive at all... it looked like he was really fighting the car, kinda like Martin Harjani was.

(Martin's using tires that are far too grippy for his setup... people tend to go overboard once their corollas have power, and they forget that the weight and suspension of the car haven't changed at all. ...and having a tire sponsor severely limits your options)

so, i dunno what the malaysian guy's situation was, but the runs i saw didn't warrant a D1 license.

John Russakoff, however, had great line and speed, especially for the amount of power he's got. ...he did GOOOOOOD.
                        I was kinda thinking the same thing too, didnt want too say anything in fear of the ae86 lovers coming down on me.

Comment

Working...
                        X