CHRIS COOK Joins MOPAR's Drift Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHRIS COOK Joins MOPAR's Drift Team

Veteran Driver Chris Cook to Form Team Mopar® Drifting Duo with Hübinette in ’07

Chris Cook info, Cook on his Formula Drift debut
    Shaun Carlson on Cook, Team Mopar’s 2007 Formula Drift efforts
    Chris Cook fast facts
    Event details

Center Line, Mich. — Team Mopar’s defending drift champion, Samuel Hübinette, will have some company in 2007 Formula Drift Series competition. Chris Cook, a veteran NASCAR Busch Series and Nextel Cup driver, will join Hübinette in waging a double-barreled Mopar-powered assault on the Formula D circuit, starting this Saturday in the April 7 season opener on the Streets of Long Beach, Calif.

Cook will campaign the Mopar/BFG/ShiftIntoGear Dodge Viper SRT10 full-time on the Formula Drift Series, and will also compete in D1 Grand Prix USA Professional Drift and NOPI events. The 20-year veteran, who will compete under the NuFormz Racing banner for team owner Shaun Carlson, has an abundance of racing experience and will be a driver to watch out for in the 2007 Formula Drift title chase.

Chris Cook info, Cook on his Formula Drift debut

Cook comes to the sport of drifting with a truly impressive list of credentials. The San Diego, Calif., native has held licenses in NASCAR, FIA, Sports Car, SCCA Pro, Grand Am and Motorola Cup, and made his NASCAR Busch debut in 1999. A part-time NASCAR driver, Cook debuted in NASCAR Nextel Cup competition at the 2005 Sears Point event. In addition, Cook is co-owner of ShiftIntoGear, Inc., one of the world’s premier personal training and coaching resources for established racing professionals and young, up-and-coming development drivers. He has worked with drivers such as Tony Stewart and Clint Bowyer on road racing coaching and testing.

“It is so confidence-inspiring to have Mopar-backing with a Dodge Viper SRT10, and dominant BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDW tires,” said Cook. “To compound that with Shaun Carlson’s abilities I think is any driver’s dream.”

Cook first made a splash in drifting last year, when he took part in the Mopar D1 All-Star Duel, an event that raised funds for the Kasey Kahne Foundation and featured NASCAR stars such as Kahne, Matt Kenseth and Bill Elliott in the first-ever meeting of NASCAR drivers and drifters. Cook was one of the NASCAR standouts at the event (he brought the crowd to its feet when he drifted his Busch car on the Irwindale Speedway course), and his performance sealed the deal on his move into drifting.

“That probably put a period at the end of the sentence. After that event, it made a lot of sense to go into drifting,” said Cook, who had his first test session in his Dodge Viper SRT10 last Friday.

Although Cook knows the move to drifting will be challenging, he has confidence that his years of racing experience will help to ease the transition.

“My coaching and racing background is diverse, so drifting came natural,” Cook remarked. “You kind of have to get into the mode of, ‘Hey, I’m on four tires, I’m in a car.’ You just kind of hit a switch. With the different experiences I’ve had in racing series, it’s not a big transition.”

The biggest transition may be the different audience drifting attracts, as compared to the NASCAR crowds to which he is accustomed.

“It will be a bit of culture shock to a certain degree, but in a fun way,” Cook observed. “The demographics of drifting are very young, which is different from NASCAR. I think that’s great; I really loved the energy of the crowd when I took part in the Mopar D1 Duel.”

Cook’s main goal this weekend is to develop a winning rapport with team owner Carlson.

“I think learning to work with Shaun is very critical,” said Cook. “It will be nice to have time with him to work on the car, and make it better as the season goes on. I know Shaun has all the ability in the world. I need to work with him to get the car dialed in and make it fit my style.”

Shaun Carlson on Cook, Team Mopar’s 2007 Formula Drift efforts

With the addition of a new driver and two new drift machines, Cook’s NuFormz Racing team owner Shaun Carlson will have a lot on his plate. Although both Cook’s Mopar/BFG/ShiftIntoGear Dodge Viper SRT10 and Hübinette’s Mopar Dodge Charger SRT8 will each have dedicated NuFormz Racing crew members, Carlson will serve as team director, putting out any fires that might arise. As a bonus, in contrast to 2006, in 2007 Carlson will have the luxury of devoting his attention solely to Team Mopar’s drifting program.

“I think it’s wonderful that I can put forth all my efforts into both drifting teams this year,” said Carlson, a skilled drag racer who drove for Don Schumacher Racing last year on the NHRA POWERade Pro Stock circuit, in addition to helping Samuel Hübinette claim his second Formula Drift title. “Last year I had to distribute my time between Pro Stock drag racing and drifting. With the ability to concentrate on drifting, I can really work with Chris to make sure he is comfortable in the car.”

“With Chris being an experienced driver and a driving instructor, I think he’s a great addition to Team Mopar,” added Carlson. “I think with the team we have, Sam and Chris, we can bring a lot to the sport of drifting, and help to prove this sport is growing and is here to stay.”

“We’re thrilled to have the factory support of Team Mopar and BFGoodrich,” said Chris Evans, co-owner with Cook of ShiftIntoGear, Inc. “We’re looking forward to the opportunity to represent our sponsors and showcase Cook’s talents. We have a huge opportunity in working with Shaun Carlson. He is a mad scientist who is obsessed with winning.”

“I respect all the drivers out there on the circuit,” added Cook. “I have incredible confidence in Mopar and the BFGoodrich tires. Shaun, Mopar and BFG have proven they have what it takes to win with Samuel Hübinette. Now I have to prove myself to everybody.”

Chris Cook Fast Facts

As a driving instructor, Cook was the youngest Chief Instructor in the history of the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving.
    Finished third in the 1991 IMSA Firehawk Series Championship.
    Was named 1992 Nashville Raceway Late Model Rookie of the Year.
    A member of the Screen Actor’s Guild, Cook has worked with stunt drivers on car control techniques.
    Has worked with U.S. military Special Forces on anti-terrorist driving skills.
    Drove for Joe Nemecheck Motorsports in 2005 on the NASCAR Busch and Nextel Cup Series.
    Raced in 2006 NASCAR Busch Series competition with Curb/Agajanian Motorsports.

Event Details

Chris Cook will debut his Mopar/BFG/ShiftIntoGear Dodge Viper SRT10 when Round One of the Formula Drift 2007 pro championship series kicks off in Long Beach on April 7. The media day and practice is April 6. For ticket and event information, visit Formula D’s new Web site at http://www.formuladrift.com. Drifting fans can download podcasts of race action. ESPN2 will now provide coverage of the 2007 Formula D season. For info on ESPN2, log on to http://www.espn.com. For info on ShiftIntoGear, Inc., visit http://www.shiftintogear.com.

nick hogan= owned

Comment

Originally posted by D1 DRIFTER View Post
      nick hogan= owned

Not quite. I got some info on this but Im not sure if I can make it public yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
        Not quite. I got some info on this but Im not sure if I can make it public yet.
        You can .... and should.

Comment

Basically... the important thing is that Nick Hogan will be driving at an event this weekend, and he will probably be at an FD event before the year is out. No need to rush things...
          Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 04-09-2007, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Well..at Formula D everyone was talking about it so I guess it's safe to say now.

Nick is going to run in the NOPI series. The Viper that Chris Cook was driving this past weekend was Sam's old car..just repainted. That car is now being shipped over to Nick where he will run the car in the NOPI drift series with a branch of Shaun Carlson's Nuformz team.

A brand new Viper is currently being built for Chris Cook to run in Formula D. Mopar's PR guy said the car is going to be green...yeah I know but hey whatever works.

The reason why Nick pulled out of running at Long Beach is because during the off season there were problems with the Viper and it wasn't running right. So basically he had no seat time during the whole off season and he didn't want to just jump into his first round of Major competition in the Viper after not driving it for three months.

I think that was a pretty mature move on his part...besides that..since NOPI is mostly an East Coast series its a lot easier for him to run in that since he lives in Florida.

Comment

The car wasn't usable for a whole 3.5 months? Wow...

What happened to those "hogan drift" S14s I saw during the show. He couldn't get any track time in those?

I think someone with his skill level just needs to get as much seat time as possible in any car. Even if hes hoping on the Nopi drift series, I know for a fact there are some hungry east coast dudes that would love to go up against the famed nick hogan...

I wish him luck though.
              Last edited by Bebop; 04-10-2007, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post

What happened to those "hogan drift" S14s I saw during the show. He couldn't get any track time in those?

I think someone with his skill level just needs to get as much seat time as possible in any car. Even if hes hoping on the Nopi drift series, I know for a fact there are some hungry east coast dudes that would love to go up against the famed nick hogan...

I wish him luck though.
                Not sure what the story with the S14's are...but it probably wouldn't have done him that much good. I mean he was already used to driving those before he got into the Viper in the first place and he still needed TONS of seat time to get used to the Viper.

So drifting a S14 for 3 months and then jumping into a Viper probably would have been pretty bad too.

Comment

He posted on the SFL drift sight that his s14's are in pieces I think.

Comment

I wish him luck though.
                    You know why the call Keiichi Tsuchiya the Drift King?

Because he's one of a limited number of people that can jump in just about anything, drift and drift well.

That's a skill that has literally taken him decades to master. It comes with experience. You can't honestly expect a guy who's 18 (?) who's been driving for maybe 2 years to be able to jump from car to car and drive well; ESPECIALLY two cars as different as a 240SX and 3rd gen Viper.

Comment

Originally posted by kaneda View Post
                      You know why the call Keiichi Tsuchiya the Drift King?

Because he's one of a limited number of people that can jump in just about anything, drift and drift well.

That's a skill that has literally taken him decades to master. It comes with experience. You can't honestly expect a guy who's 18 (?) who's been driving for maybe 2 years to be able to jump from car to car and drive well; ESPECIALLY two cars as different as a 240SX and 3rd gen Viper.
                      Dude... I'm not saying he should jump in another car because hes good...

I'm saying it for the exact opposite, dude needs more seat time PERIOD. He needs to be driving, once you learn the basics you can jump into any decent set up car and do something with it.

Your saying he cant improve his overall concept of the sport by driving another car? He already set his progression back by driving such a well built vehicle like the mopar viper, he shoulda started off with something milder to begin with.

Comment

Your saying he cant improve his overall concept of the sport by driving another car? He already set his progression back by driving such a well built vehicle like the mopar viper, he shoulda started off with something milder to begin with.
                        He did..

He had been driving those "Hogan Drift" S14s for a while before the Mopar thing went down. Im not sure how much time he got in the S14 before he went to the Viper but it doesn't really matter if he was in that S14 for years before...going from that to a Viper is still a BIG jump which is why he needed so much practice time.

I get where your coming from though but by now the Viper is with him and he'll probably have a decent amount of seat time before the next NOPI event.

Nick's goal and Mopar's goal for him is still to get him into Formula D but he's going to run NOPI for now to get the seat time and experience.

Comment

Working...
                        X