Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The D1 Business Model: Bad for Drifting in America

http://www.driftlive.com/dl/2007/03/...-the-internet/

The rapidly approaching 2007 professional drifting season promises to change the face of drifting here in the United States. Several sanctioning bodies involved with drifting have begun to make announcements for the 2007 season. Formula D is pairing up ESPN to air their series, NOPI will has a full drift schedule with their first event rapidly approaching, and D1, despite canceling the Irwindale opener, will have a full US series. DriftCar America with promises of Fox Network Television appears to have fallen apart. All the posturing and jockeying for position that has occurred over the last 6 months strikes fear into my heart.

But Why? Doesn’t this growth simply mean more opportunity for drifters here in the US?

There is a dearth of well-funded US drivers and teams. The number of teams currently running Formula D is a good indicator that the total number of American Teams able to financially compete at the professional level is quite small. Look at the last 3 years of Formula D as a case study. Rhys Millen and Samuel Hubinette have won nearly every event. No other competitor has even come close to giving these guys a real run for their money. This is not due to a lack of talent, numerous other drivers could give these two some serious competition, but the money is simply not in place.

Drivers need money, but where does money come from?

Most drifters start out paying their own way. They put in extra hours at work, or run up credit cards, but in the long term a driver must earn sponsorship. A driver depends on money and support from sponsors in exchange for promoting their brand or product. Sponsors allow the driver to focus on driving, and less on how he is going to pay for his program. He can now afford to buy track time to tune his car and refine his setup. He can have a hauler stocked with backup parts, and can freshen his car between events. All of these elements dramatically increase how competitive a driver will be over the course of a season.

In order to be considered as a viable place to spend ad dollars, a potential Sponsor needs to know that a driver will be seen, his achievements recognized, and that their product is well represented. A driver has control over how he carries himself, and how well he performs on track, but he has far less control over how much exposure a given drifting event will get. The model set up by D1GP has them with 100% control over event coverage. The focus of D1 is producing Option Videos, not providing a true venue for competition, and not promoting the sponsors of individual drivers. In addition D1 as well as Formula D, prevent the media from providing full third party event coverage.

If the only people that see a driver are the attendees at an event, the amount of money that a sponsor is willing to commit shrinks. If television coverage is so brief that only a few seconds are given to each competitor, in a poor time slot, the amount of money that a sponsor is willing to commit shrinks. Notice a pattern?

Formula D, D1, NOPI, and any other drifting series that desires to be successful in the long term, needs to take care of their drivers.

One needs to look no further then all of the amateur drivers who received licenses during the 2006 season to see that this is a weak point. Only a small fraction of those drivers will be able to compete at the professional level during the 2007 season. For many of them, lack of sponsorship is the biggest hurdle.

But beyond Television, DVDs, and live events, what other coverage is out there?

That’s easy; The Internet is the place where huge numbers of drifting fans get their fix when they can’t attend live events. Do a quick search for drifting on youtube.com or google video or myspace.com. Drifting is everywhere online. The only problem is that in order to provide high quality coverage, one must fight it away from the professional drift series.

Ever wonder why all the tandem footage on DriftLive is from practice? It is because both Formula D and D1 do not allow professionals to film their events. That leaves fans watching choppy footage shot by fans from the grandstand. I would love to be able to show you footage of Darren McNamara and Ken Nomura battling at the December D1 event, or Daijiro Yoshihara and Rhys Millen battling it out at the Irwindale Formula D finals, but alas I cannot.

DriftLive.com is not the only website prevented from providing full coverage of tandem battles, all websites are prohibited from filming and sharing tandem runs. Formula D, D1GP and any other series that continues to snuff out high quality web coverage, is drastically limiting their market, and hurting their drivers. Between June and December of last year DriftLive.com served up over 1 million pages to drifting fans. I would hazard to guess that there are at least 10 other sites that are hitting those sort of traffic numbers.

What’s next

The drifting series here in the states are doing what is best for them; Slicing up the sponsorship pie into pieces so small that no one, save a few big teams can get the backing that they need to be competitive. This is a short-term approach that will prevent any of the current series from being successful in the long term if they do not make adjustments. Professional Drifting needs to focus on taking care of their existing drivers, and growing new ones. This can only be done by getting more drifting to the fans, and enticing sponsors to spend more money to get in front of a growing audience.

http://www.driftlive.com/dl/2007/03/...-the-internet/

Thoughts? As a fan and spectator I often find it frustrating that I have to wait months to see proffesional footage of the events on top of never being able to see all 3 qualifying runs from all 32 drivers unless I'm there in person. I hope this year drivers and teams do a better job of releasing the drifting footage that won't air on the ESPN broadcast.
    Last edited by my 1 88 u; 04-05-2007, 11:10 PM.

Wow, if only I could articulate my thoughts that well. Very good points, some hit close to home. As someone who has participated in FD as a privateer since the 04 season, i can definitely attest to the lack of financial support for up and coming drivers (not saying I'm that great or anything). I feel like Ive accomplished alot, I made top 32 at Wall 05 in a stock S13 with Megan springs and GR2s, on tires i dug out of the dumpster at Discount. That may not mean anything to most people, but to me it means i was one of 12 walk ons who made the cut to drive on show day. A Drift Showoff win, and another top 32 in Houston 05, and top 16 at FD Pro AM. Have an FD License, effectively a NOPI license, and hopefully will add a D1 license to that in May. You'd think i might have a shot at at least getting a tire sponsor (i always thought id have some kind of help by this point), but nope not even cooper will have me. Now, i know I'm not the biggest name, and i have a reputation it seems, and I'm by no means a business man, so maybe it wont matter how well i do. Maybe its just me, but i know of plenty of other guys who definitely deserve it and they haven't gotten it. Then again, i know a few people who have gotten way way more than they deserve or even need. I doubt my words will help solve anything, but hopefully overall this thread has some sort of impact.

Comment

BTW I will be at the Atl. FD event driving the NonStopTuning.com S13.4. I have always identified with your posts and feel like you speak for me and others like me, who may not be able to express themselves so professionally. I would really like to meet you and talk more, maybe help me connect some dots.

Comment

I mostly agree with that article, but then again, I wrote it.

-Geoff Chandler

Comment

Originally posted by GBC View Post
          I mostly agree with that article, but then again, I wrote it.

-Geoff Chandler
          What's keeping these organizations from releasing the footage outside of their broadcasts? Last year G4tv did such a bad job that not even everyone that made the top 16 got their runs aired. If ESPN's intension is to compress the top 16 tandems into an hour program then what is keeping them from compromising with the teams, sponsors and websites like Driftlive.com and Drifting.com to release the extra footage?

It seems to me more money would flow into the sport if the fans could view a list of all 32 qualifiers per event with links to close up pictures of their cars, sponsors as well as watch the un-aired practice and qualifier runs. I'm sure sponsors would love this because it'll give teams that didn't advance some publicity and I don't see how that would be stepping on FD/broadcast partners toes. Unless they plan on doing this.
          Last edited by my 1 88 u; 04-06-2007, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I haven't ever really thought about some of the things in the article. I spend lots of time trying to think about how to make drifting better and how to get drifting more exposure and this has never occured to me Good write up.

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
              What's keeping these organizations from releasing the footage outside of their broadcasts? Last year G4tv did such a bad job that not even everyone that made the top 16 got their runs aired. If ESPN's intension is to compress the top 16 tandems into an hour program then what is keeping them from compromising with the teams, sponsors and websites like Driftlive.com and Drifting.com to release the extra footage?
              We are allowed to release approved footage, but the 2007 FD Long Beach tandem runs are off limits.

Comment

Originally posted by INFO View Post
                We are allowed to release approved footage, but the 2007 FD Long Beach tandem runs are off limits.

boooooooo

I gotta wait a month just to see action on TV...

Comment

2006 Season

Any word yet about the 2006 Formula D season? Especially as the 2007 season is not due out except in podcast form until after the season is over.

Sincerely,
                  Rev. Paul L. Vasquez

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                    boooooooo

When is ESPN2 Gonna air round 1? I heard it's gonna be fall of this year. That sucks if we have to wait a half a damn year

Originally posted by INFO View Post
                    then my next question is will you?

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
                      then my next question is will you?
                      That is the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                        boooooooo

You live in socal, why don't you go see it in person? LIVE AND DIRECT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by akuma S14 View Post
                          You live in socal, why don't you go see it in person? LIVE AND DIRECT!!!
                          Ish...

I will be there for real, but i'm just saying for the other events.

Gotta wait months after a event just to watch it on TV.... thats booshie

I highly doubt putting top 16 on youtube or let some other third party website show top 16 highlights would really effect the number of people watching it on TV. I think it will increase it actually.

Comment

Yeah, I get you. I think that some lo res crap on teh internetz will only help increase awarness of the competition for sure.

Comment

The problem with a net-based marketing directive is that it assumes a web-savvy target audience, and if Formula Drift is planning on actually growing outside of the narrow "tuner" marketshare, it cannot do that.

NASCAR, easily the best marketed of all motorsports, always goes after the lowest common denominator. They engineered their whole broadcast so that anyone just tuning in will instantly understand what's going on, who the key players are, and what difficulties they face (real or imaginary).

Formula Drift has to face the POTENTIAL fans who don't know the difference between an S13 and S14. They have to put together a slick finished product that'll sell like hotcakes and pay everyone's bills, and I guarantee you that the narrow bracket they're playing to right now is not going to do that.

To entice sponsors to Formula Drift with the pocketbooks to really take care of the drivers, it's going to take non-endemics. The energy drink sponsors are a good step in this direction. But it's easy for an energy drink company to show up at an event with a few cases of their product and sell them next to their driver's pit box. It'll take a much more diverse fanbase (with more disposable income than the current bracket) in order to get raised eyebrows from companies that've been jilted in other sanctions (McDonalds, for instance, has had zero luck with NASCAR sponsorship, and get little to no exposure from sponsoring Champ Car's resident brat, Sebastien Bourdais).

Comment

Working...
                              X