This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the best car for drifting?

my sister wants to get a car that she can drift. actually she wanna spend only $10000 for the car and if its ok a engine swap and a lil bit of suspension.
    any cars that is good for that kind of money?
    thanks .
    sorry for the newbie question....

Somebody please make a sticky saying "there is no 'best' drift car" maybe it can follow up with a list of used car prices rough estimates for common drift cars. Miatas, FCs, S13s, S14s, FBs. Anything that a beginner should look into for drifting.

Mikko no offence to you or anything, i was thought these guys were harsh when i first came on here to this question, but after being around for a month or so this question seems to come up every few days.

The common response is "s13, FC, Miata, S14, AE86, ect..." Anything light and well balanced will be a good starter car. Heavier cars can make good drift vehichles to but may be harder to learn on. Same thing with cars that arent balanced as well. Also dont be afraid to look into american cars. There are a few guys here who drift F bodys. And im sure a mustang especialy with minor suspension mods could be a fine drifter.

Another thing that alot of guys knew to drifting seem to think is that you NEED a engine transplant and a turbo to drift. Ill tell you its not true especialy when your learning. A stock 240sx for example has plenty of power for a beginner. Especaily if your not used to a performance car. It will seem plenty fast at first. When you get better you will know what you need.

There are guys who drift miatas and ae86s and i'd be surprised if there putting down 110-120 hp to the wheels. So power is deffenately not what a beginner needs. Besides anyone can mash the gas and spin tires. Its takes skill to put a car sideways using only weight transfer. (im still trying to get the hang of it, getting over the hand brake)

Anyways one thing i can say is we get alot of beginners (as opposed to newbies who may just be new to the forum but not drifting) who ask alot of these question, using the search button or simply looking threw the last few post will help. Dont be afraid to browse and search.

Comment

Look. Search button. BAM!

Comment

i would go for a 240sx with suspension mods and buckets...and some little things to boost the hp

Comment

Mikko, I wanna meet your sister. $10,000, man I laughed good on this one. Id tell her, spend $4000 on a car in sound mechanical condition and bank the rest. She will need it for repairs and mods later. As previously stated, there are benefits to learning on an underpowered car. Nissanguy is right on target, swaps are unnecessary and she wont even need suspension at first unless she has been into motorsports for a while. When she gets here tecniques down and learns how her suspension reacts to them, then she can move to mods, but bushings are always a good place to start. Like I said earlier, sound mechanical condition. If you want to suggest something, just tell her FR.
          Last edited by hachiroku-fc3s; 02-21-2004, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Spend $2,000 on one of the above-mentioned cars and the rest on tires and whatever else breaks under the abuse that is drifting. No mechanical empathy here.

Comment

I agree. $10,000 could build you a D1 level car.

$2000 should get you on your feet. Like they said, bank the rest you'll need it.

Comment

like i tell everyone else...
                good drift car=cheep, RWD, lots of them in junk yard for parts...

Comment

By the way, Your sister cute? she happen to be in the kern county area? uh i just want to help is all.

Comment

no offense but shoot is your sister cute? id like to meet her to a girl wanting to get into something like this is badass

go mikko's sister

Comment

Hey dont copy me.

Comment

Re: whats the best car for drifting?

Originally posted by mikko
                        my sister wants to get a car that she can drift. actually she wanna spend only $10000 for the car and if its ok a engine swap and a lil bit of suspension.
                        any cars that is good for that kind of money?
                        thanks .
                        sorry for the newbie question....

ONLY 10,000. What do you mean only. You can get and S14(95-98 240SX) for like 4 grand. get some good suspension on it and throw some extras on it.
                        I'm still stunned on ONLY 10,000$. When I started I bought my Miata off my girlfriends brother for a grand. And now I collect cans to fix up my ride. (I'm just jealous) You should get a 240

Comment

I agree with everything they say. As for you , I would suggest some sort of intro when starting in forums. Easier to get info if you are known. Just popping up and asking a question (that has been asked a thousand times) will usually get you nailed.

Also use that search button. Nother sure fire way to get creamed on a new forum. May not seem like a big thing to you but to the people on those forums who are hit everyday with it, it is.

Other than that, welcome to the forum.

Comment

THE BEST DRIFT CAR EVER IS THE HONDA CIVIC, THE OLDER, THE RICIER, THE BETTER.

....there, answered....

Comment

by a civic add nos 100hp shot perferablly to get that *Censored**Censored**Censored* dragging baby. Seriosly thought go buy whatever you want and go drift these questions are retarted.

Comment

Working...
                              X