opening a drift track in So Cal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opening a drift track in So Cal?

yup, what are your thoughts, it would be open 4-5 days a week, day/night Not a competition event, just go and practice, set up cones to make your own track etc, give me your feed back so I know to invest the time,money etc, tell me what you want and don,t want, what is the distance you would drive, how bigger facility etc
    thanks everone
    Leon Styles
    www.sidewaysrules.com

Left you a voicemail Leon.

Comment

i think it would be great.. bu i wouldnt suggest that you have people set up cone courses.

just build a track its better in the long run.

no real point to have a skid pad.. especially since safety wise you cant run muti cars at one time.

i look forward to seeing this come true.

the closer to middle socal the better equal drive for everyone.

Comment

Great idea!!! Hope it happens!

Closer to LA the better but I am sure we drifter will not mind driving a bit to get there. 1-2 hours commute time is reasonable.

Don't waste money just doing a skid pad since we get that from drift day at El Toro Fields already. Do a real small race track on top of the skid pad. You can do a lot of different things on the track like karting, bikes, autocrosses... it's going to be favorable to a lot of people as long as it's not too far from LA.

Good luck with the project!
        Hubert Young
        KORE 8 Films

Comment

If you need a model, talk to the NCDA guys. Their thursday night "night drift" events were a huge success, from what I hear

Comment

OK

Lets be honest, us so cal drifter are spoiled. We dont really need a "drift" track. We dont need a parking lot course of another oval track. We have El Torro, Irwindale, NOS center, Willow. That is a lot for a stretch of 100 miles. But we do need a all purpose fun grass root track. Something for club racer, karters and drifters. Something not too small but not too big, like nikko circuit in japan or streets of willow, but safe for drifters (no ditches to fall into, or walls). Throw in a nice big skid pad for the auto xrs and beginner drifters. And I think it should be along the boarder of riverside and sd county. Its kinda hard to the SD guys and some of the IE guys to make it out too a nice track like willow.

But before we start talking about course setups, and locations. You have to really make friends with the community and get the proper credentials and licences. We dont want a Alatomont part 2.

Comment

How about a track in a mountain area such as . . . .Angeles National Forest. Something like they had in that JDM Insider video.

http://driftunit.com/V2/html/main_cov_tkl.html

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                OK

Lets be honest, us so cal drifter are spoiled. We dont really need a "drift" track. We dont need a parking lot course of another oval track. We have El Torro, Irwindale, NOS center, Willow. .
                Um yeah

NOS center lost their insurance last I heard and when was the last time there was a grass roots event at Irwindale?? Thats why Drift Day goes to El Toro because places like Irwindale and Cali speedway want too much money for a grass roots organization to run there.

So right now all we got is El Toro and Willow "in the middle of no where" Springs.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                  Um yeah

NOS center lost their insurance last I heard and when was the last time there was a grass roots event at Irwindale?? Thats why Drift Day goes to El Toro because places like Irwindale and Cali speedway want too much money for a grass roots organization to run there.

So right now all we got is El Toro and Willow "in the middle of no where" Springs.
                  How many drift events were held at willow this year, just from JD and ASB I can think of like 10. Thats not including these new dudes throwing events there also....

How many events at the nos center... quite a bit this year. I'm pretty sure they will be back next year. Or Drift Buffet will find another venue.

And there was at at least half a dozen DD events at el torro this year.

And like I said, this is all in like a 100 mile radius.

Now lets compare to the east coast where dudes are hopping 3 or more states just to get a event. There are so many drift events in so cal even the hardcore guys skip a few here and there. We had overlapping events this year.... Dudes on the east coast can never imagine having to choose one event or another that is 50 miles away from each other.

We are spoiled.

Even though i feel sorry for some of the SD and IE peeps that can rarely make it out too irwindale, if you complaining about a 3 hour drive you just not that dedicated.

Comment

Originally posted by DARKEST_HOUR View Post
                    How about a track in a mountain area such as . . . .Angeles National Forest. Something like they had in that JDM Insider video.

http://driftunit.com/V2/html/main_cov_tkl.html

That would be cool, but would you really think a national forrest would allow someone to chop down there trees for a... race track?

I hope they wouldn't lol.

In japan land is scarce, so you have to setup where you can.

I would love to drive on a course like that, but we have all this flat barren land out here, why not use that?

Comment

I want to have it so you don,t need to be part of an event, just turn up and "play" to go to willow springs you either have a caged/fuel cell vehicle or have to rent the place yourself, at huge cost, El Toro you have to either be part of someones event or spend lots of cash to rent it for yourself
                      I want it to be cheap and available almost anytime, and maybe sometimes do events, also have some Drift cars available for rent
                      Leon

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                        How many drift events were held at willow this year, just from JD and ASB I can think of like 10. Thats not including these new dudes throwing events there also....

How many events at the nos center... quite a bit this year. I'm pretty sure they will be back next year. Or Drift Buffet will find another venue.

And there was at at least half a dozen DD events at el torro this year.

And like I said, this is all in like a 100 mile radius.

Now lets compare to the east coast where dudes are hopping 3 or more states just to get a event. There are so many drift events in so cal even the hardcore guys skip a few here and there. We had overlapping events this year.... Dudes on the east coast can never imagine having to choose one event or another that is 50 miles away from each other.

We are spoiled.

Even though i feel sorry for some of the SD and IE peeps that can rarely make it out too irwindale, if you complaining about a 3 hour drive you just not that dedicated.
                        I know that the NOS center HAD a lot of events over this year that's almost over and it was the same at Willow. The point Im trying to make is we still only have the two tracks...its not like we have a place we can go to at anytime.

And the NOS center is done man..done! There was an accident there and it messed up that whole deal.

You mentioned the SD people...Willow is a 4 to 5 hour drive for them..if he could build this place in the LA area it cuts that commute down by half.

He obviously wants to do it here so there isn't a need to compare the frequency of events here to those on the east coast. It sucks that they dont have as many opportunites but as harsh as it sounds its a moot point because he's doing it here not there.

Maybe if his venture is sucessful enough on the left coast he'll take it to the right coast.

What this guy is trying to do is build a bare bones pratice zone that almost anyone can use. I hate to sound like a fan boy and use this anaology but he basically wants to build a "driftland" over here.

If done right it could work out really well

Originally posted by sidewaysrules View Post
                        I want to have it so you don,t need to be part of an event, just turn up and "play" to go to willow springs you either have a caged/fuel cell vehicle or have to rent the place yourself, at huge cost, El Toro you have to either be part of someones event or spend lots of cash to rent it for yourself
                        I want it to be cheap and available almost anytime, and maybe sometimes do events, also have some Drift cars available for rent
                        Leon
                        The only problem I really see here is the saftey issue. I'm pretty sure no matter what area you do it in the local government is going to require you to have an EMT on site in case something goes wrong.

If you're trying to have this place open everyday that's going to get very costly.
                        Last edited by MonkeySlide; 12-17-2007, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Well I finally found the actual place that i originally wanted to post about.

No tree cutting here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XajS8S_GKxQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS1GI...eature=related

It would be just like nikko.
                          Last edited by ; 12-17-2007, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Wait wait wait wait waiiit.

How about I end this all and say build a drift track for us east coast guys!

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post

The only problem I really see here is the saftey issue. I'm pretty sure no matter what area you do it in the local government is going to require you to have an EMT on site in case something goes wrong.

If you're trying to have this place open everyday that's going to get very costly.
                              It's actually not that bad. My brother was trying to open a motocross park a few years ago and I believe all he really needed was to have a licensed EMT on staff and on site at all times, which is just a matter of hiring a guy. He only needed the full EMT team and ambulance on race days . . . or something. I may be wrong, though.

I know I would love to have a more local place I could go to and practice more often. I made two passes at the skidpad at DD40 this weekend before my differential broke. By the time the next event I can get to rolls around, it will have been over two months since I'd had any real seat time. That's not very much when you're trying to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X