(FEEDBACK) FORMULA D New Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post

We had problems in Long Beach at first too but eventully things got MUCH better.

I personally feel that long beach has only gotten worst since the first.

Comment

I still liked the event overall. The drivers were definately driving at a fast-pace especially during the qualifying rounds. I mean did you all see Tyler clock in at over 80mph on his second run in qualifying in the Porsche. That was sick.

Also, well said by Jim and Ryan. I guess everybody is going to have to accept the fact that "not everything, nor everybody is perfect, and will never be." FD will never be perfect to suit everybody's likings, but the best they'll do and what made FD what it is today, is settling the overall issues that they keep hearing; either from fans or the drivers. One last thing, maybe all the last minute decisions for trying to organize E-town affected the Live Internet coverage, if not, yall should work on that. Lol just a suggestion =].

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBwzE3SdLp4

4:45. watch as tanner straightens out following miki. miki kinda dropped one wheel. was judged 7:7. where was the 0 for tanner straightening out. like i said. i dont know what you were looking at. just one example of tons of whack calls.

Comment

Originally posted by ReDc0aT View Post
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBwzE3SdLp4

4:45. watch as tanner straightens out following miki. miki kinda dropped one wheel. was judged 7:7. where was the 0 for tanner straightening out. like i said. i dont know what you were looking at. just one example of tons of whack calls.
          First of all..usually dropping a wheel would be considered an "off course" which is an automatic zero.

Not only did Miki drop a wheel but his little stint off course ripped off his rear bumper and tossed it right at the front of Tanner's car which is probably what caused him to bobble a little bit at the end.

So if you really want to get technical it shoud have been a double zero...but instead of zeros they just gave them both the same number.

No matter how you slice what "should have" been done the outcome would have been the same.

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTAL KONG
            Why the name changed from of the topic from "Formula D NJ SUCKED" to "(Feedback) FORMULA D New Jersey"?? Was it really necessary to do that because it was true? Thanks for hijacking my thread!
            check ur PM and delete this post before we do it tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by pita bread View Post
              check ur PM and delete this post before we do it tomorrow
              Thanks for the verification, pita!

Comment

FD is the only major organization in the USA that gives a crap about the longevity of drifting and has always made every effort to improve their events since year one. I know how hard it is to manage a small time amatuer series (drift buffet) as well as having managed the course operations for D1 for them during 2005-06. I have competed in FD back in the '05 and can say that while it is indeed a business, D1 cares much more about selling videos than they do about the honest outcome of events. At least Formula Drift takes the time to acknowledge your complaints. I have seen some questionable calls in every sport known to man, but you must recognize that in a judged sport things don't always turn out the way you think they should. Build a bridge and get over it.
                Judging in FD is a lot less biased than D1. PERIOD.

The judges at FD are top notch and have been involved in drifting since before D1 ever came to the states. Andy Yen is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met when it comes to drifting. Andy could step back into competing and be very successful. The great "dori king" can barely drift. (I have seen him drive the top secret S15 at Irwindale Speedway very late at night after the course had been set up and he nearly put the car in the wall 2 times had multiple counts of understeer and had left me wondering where he got his nickname.)

D1 puts on a good show 1 or 2 times a year and cannot come close to ever getting their "USA series" off the ground year after year. This is because they have horrible relationship skills. They treat their workers like dirt, their sponsors like dirt and have the organizational skills of a 5 year old.

Lastly :
                Jarod is a great announcer and he tries his best to keep the crowd hyped, stay on top of the runs, and does this all day long. No one is perfect. Give the guy a little bit of leeway. He is not the tool you claim he is.

Jarod - thanks for being the guy who has become the voice of FD. I think you do a great job.

Comment

I wasn't at the event, but I have overall knowledge and opinions to contribute from first hand experience. I have competed in both Formula D and NOPI and I also have run my own national amateur drifting series. Maybe it's this experience that makes me understand why and how things happen. My series is nothing compared to a FD event and I can't even imagine the woes of keeping that many people happy. I had a hard enough time trying to keep a couple of hundred people happy. So much so that it was too much for me to handle, so I don't host events any more for now (until I get more money and WAY more help). Overall, I think FD does an amazing job. Sure there are 1 or 2 or 3 things that need to be sorted out, but this business has only been open for 5 years. They are lucky to even still be doing this for all of us to even complain about. 50% of all businesses fail in the first year and only 1 in 5 make it to year four. Just think about how many organizations in the past 5 years have made a claim to be the next big drifting series and then think about how many of those orgs are still around. FD MUST be doing something right to have made it this far with a niche market sport for a business. You compare FD to D1, but where is their US series? If you want to see D1 and love them so much, go to Japan and see how much that will cost you. I'm sure the plane ticket is more than the extra $6 you paid for the seating issue (not to say that the issue shouldn't be addressed).

Hosting events are HARD. The drivers and the fans have 2 completely different ways of looking at things and you can't have an event with out both of them there. Trying to unite both of their view points is nearly impossible. The biggest thing that I see that gets to me from the people giving criticism is the "rules are rules" thing. Of course rules are rules. You have to think about the fairness involved. Just because you WANTED to see JR run, doesn't mean it was fair to the other drivers (I wasn't there so I don't know for sure. Just using the example given.). Rules also make it to where underdogs have a FAIR chance. It's a checks and balances thing as much as it is a safety thing. If we just let all of our favorite drivers do whatever they want whenever they want, we would never have the opportunity to see our FUTURE favorites in action. Not to mention that my favorite driver isn't necessarily your favorite driver. Imagine the mess if we just let my driver and your driver go at it without any rules to follow. Rules are just a necessity. Doesn't mean they can't be reworked if need be, it just means that we have to follow them and try to understand them while they are in place.

Of course, feedback is what will make the events better and better over time and that is also a necessity. Just keep in mind that you are taken more seriously when you come across a little more constructively. No one needs to be on the defense for their opinions on what went wrong from a fans perspective and no one needs to be on the defense from FD for trying to make those things better. You know, the guys at FD are pretty easy to get a hold of and very easy to talk to. In my experience with a few series, they care a lot more about ALL of us (drivers and spectators alike) than some and FD's goal for sure is to help the sport to grow and make it come across as a professional sport and not a monkey show. So, work together on making that happen....or else all of us will have to take a trip to Japan to see live drifting if we aren't careful (ok that is far fetched, just making a point).

Keep in mind that IT IS IN FACT A BUSINESS. No doubt about that, but trust me when I say no one is getting rich off of hosting drift events and it is a very hard road to making things run "perfect". NASCAR has been around for a bagillion years now and they still change things weekly to try to improve their formula.

Cut a little slack and try to put yourself in others shoes. Keep giving the feedback, just be a little more mature about it so you can be taken seriously. Maybe pick up the phone or send a nice little e-mail. Posting on a forum is just a little cold and impersonal....although I definitely understand the power of doing so.

Ta Ta and thanks for listening
                  Last edited by Tracy; 06-17-2008, 08:12 AM.

Comment

For those of you that are not up to speed, Wall Speedway is a goner. There is no option to go there. They are destroying it. Also, reserved tickets were more, yes, but parking was FREE at Englishtown. Wall was $10 for parking.

Comment

Thank god WALL is going away.
                      That was the worst place I have seen drifting take place. ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D View Post
                        For those of you that are not up to speed, Wall Speedway is a goner. There is no option to go there. They are destroying it. Also, reserved tickets were more, yes, but parking was FREE at Englishtown. Wall was $10 for parking.
                        Free parking goes a long ways these days!!

Comment

First of all..usually dropping a wheel would be considered an "off course" which is an automatic zero.

Not only did Miki drop a wheel but his little stint off course ripped off his rear bumper and tossed it right at the front of Tanner's car which is probably what caused him to bobble a little bit at the end.

So if you really want to get technical it shoud have been a double zero...but instead of zeros they just gave them both the same number.

No matter how you slice what "should have" been done the outcome would have been the same.
                          well than i would rather have them judge it a 0:0
                          there were multiple other runs were drivers dropped tires and didnt recieve zeros, just point deductions. so technically. tanners straighten out should have made the run scored a 6:0 miki... 6 for miki dropping tire, 0 for tanner straightening out...

Originally posted by akuma S14 View Post
                          Judging in FD is a lot less biased than D1. PERIOD.

The judges at FD are top notch and have been involved in drifting since before D1 ever came to the states. Andy Yen is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met when it comes to drifting. Andy could step back into competing and be very successful. The great "dori king" can barely drift. (I have seen him drive the top secret S15 at Irwindale Speedway very late at night after the course had been set up and he nearly put the car in the wall 2 times had multiple counts of understeer and had left me wondering where he got his nickname.)

D1 puts on a good show 1 or 2 times a year and cannot come close to ever getting their "USA series" off the ground year after year. This is because they have horrible relationship skills. They treat their workers like dirt, their sponsors like dirt and have the organizational skills of a 5 year old.
                          hhaha you still dont get that im not talking about all that crap. im talking from a pure spectators point of view. when did any one here say or even bring up that the great "dori king" as you put it, is any good? i dont care if andy yen can drift.

and you are bringing up D1's USA series. im not. im sure formula d would have just as much problems to run their own series in japan as well as a full season in the USA... at least d1 brings cars over. with out drift alliance, formula d would barely have any US drivers that would ship their cars and drift in another series or anything abroad.

im just thinking of ways to improve formula d's series. most suggestions reflect d1's series. such as grid camera. and its not that people on this forum are mad about JR not getting to drift. the problem was the confusion. I think him driving down and parking in the middle of the track and yelling through his window at his spotter and officials proved that there was mass confusion.

GO FREE PARKING!!!

go DA!!!

bah it's whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by ReDc0aT View Post
                            well than i would rather have them judge it a 0:0
                            there were multiple other runs were drivers dropped tires and didnt recieve zeros, just point deductions. so technically. tanners straighten out should have made the run scored a 6:0 miki... 6 for miki dropping tire, 0 for tanner straightening out....
                            Well if other drivers were dropping wheels that badly and only getting deductions then that run would still make sense.

Tanner only went straight because Miki chucked his rear bumper at him as a result of going off course.

How much can you fault Tanner because he was getting pelted by his competitors body work?

I'm not saying the judges weren't inconsistent...I wasn't there so I can't say that with absolute confidence. However the vid you used for yer example doesn't really line up with your argument because both drivers made mistakes.

Does anyone know what the deal was with Alex P.? I heard he wasn't there. Who was judging in his place? Did they even pick somene to judge in his place? Why wasn't he there?

Comment

Well if other drivers were dropping wheels that badly and only getting deductions then that run would still make sense.

Tanner only went straight because Miki chucked his rear bumper at him as a result of going off course.

How much can you fault Tanner because he was getting pelted by his competitors body work?

I'm not saying the judges weren't inconsistent...I wasn't there so I can't say that with absolute confidence. However the vid you used for yer example doesn't really line up with your argument because both drivers made mistakes.

Does anyone know what the deal was with Alex P.? I heard he wasn't there. Who was judging in his place? Did they even pick somene to judge in his place? Why wasn't he there?
                              It was only 2 judges that was their of the day of the race. I thought I heard that they were looking for a 3rd substitute judge. Guess I was wrong.

Comment

Thanks For the Responses

Jim and Formula D-

Thank you soo much for the responses. This level of fan interaction is what has always made FD stand out. I thank you for taking the time to appease some angered fans. I agree that some of us may have jumped to conclusions and applaud your effort for putting an event together for us.

I must say that I was surpised to hear Wall had closed and wondered if Formula D would still go on. Thanks for keeping the show alive, and I honestly believe that with another year to straighten things out, a drift event in this area could pull a lot of fans. There are a few lesser events around that get promoted on several different radio stations etc... that pull HUGE crowds.

Thanks for keeping drifting alive in NJ. Hopefully we will see you next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X