X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (RESULTS) FORMULA D New Jersey

Formula DRIFT Round 3: The Gauntlet Results;
    Tanner Foust Takes the Victory and Becomes the Points Leader

Long Beach, Calif. – June 17, 2008 – Formula DRIFT completed the third stop on the 2008 Championship Tour with Round 3: The Gauntlet at Englishtown Raceway Park. Defending champion Tanner Foust battled through the tough competition to take home the victory and take over the lead for the Castrol SYNTEC Power Cup.

“Due to the turn of events that lead to the closure of Wall Speedway, I commend the FD team, partners, and fans for embracing the quick change to Englishtown Raceway Park,” said Jim Liaw, president and co-founder of Formula DRIFT. “I’d like to say a big thank you to Englishtown for squeezing us in right before their big NHRA race week.”

Entering Englishtown Raceway Park for the first time the Formula DRIFT Championship returned to the East Coast. The course layout featured a very high entry speed that lead to tight corners and with elevation changes the combination made for one very exciting competition. The track was very demanding and the drivers felt the pressure early on with cars going off-track and others hitting the K-rails.

“I like learning new tracks but this one certainly benefited the ultra horsepower cars on the long first corner,” said Tanner Foust, 2007 Formula DRIFT Champion and Round 3 event winner. “In the Finals, leading Tyler we topped 80 mph on the entry but he was only able to reel me in on the last turn giving me the advantage. Following the Porsche I focused on getting the best acceleration possible off the line so he couldn’t get out of reach.”

The Consolation Round pitted teammates Daijiro Yoshihara and his Bridgestone / RMR Pontiac GTO against Round 2 event winner Rhys Millen and his Red Bull / Pontiac Solstice GXP with Millen edging out Yoshihara for the 3rd spot on the podium. This was the 2nd time this season that the teammates faced each other in the TOP 16 competition and Millen has taken the advantage each time. The Final Round pitted a very determined Tyler McQuarrie and his Hankook / JIC-Magic Porsche 993 GT2 against defending Formula DRIFT champion Tanner Foust piloting the Rockstar / AEM Nissan 350Z with Foust taking the victory and the lead in the Castrol SYNTEC Power CUP Point Standings. This marks the first time that McQuarrie and the Hankook / JIC-Magic Porsche has stood on the podium.

The chase for the Castrol SYNTEC Power Cup heats up with 2007 Formula DRIFT Champion Tanner Foust leading the way. Following close behind are 2004 & 2006 Formula DRIFT Champion Samuel Hubinette and his BF Goodrich / Mopar Dodge Viper SRT10 and 2007 Tires.com Triple Crown Champion Chris Forsberg piloting the NOS Energy Drink Nissan 350Z with only 2 points separating the two drivers. The action continues on July 11 & 12 for Round 4: High Stakes at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Castrol SYNTEC Power Cup 2008 Point Standings

1. Foust
    2. Hubinette
    3. Forsberg
    4. Yoshihara
    5. Takatori
    6. Tuerck
    7. Millen
    8. Gittin, Jr.
    9. Grunewald
    10. McNamara
    11. Miki