X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• courantcom
    replied
    Originally posted by olddrifter View Post
    Cars with PRE-APPROVED suppension mods that were out side the normal rules have been a part of the FD from the start. They were just keep under raps by all. The whole point seens to be you did not ask in advance!!!!!!!!!!
    Its seems that a few builders/teams appear to get more chances to bend/break the rules than everyone else, but, they may have some insite into how to get thing done better than the rest of the teams.....
    SA Drift has been asking for a list of competitors with pre-approved suspension mods, and Formula D has yet to produce such a list. It's been days now, and I can't help but think that if a list were to be produced, it would be one that would have been authored just now. With that all said and done, what's to stop everything from suddenly being "pre-approved"?

With a system where things are just to be "kept under wraps", like you had mentioned, a situation much like this one is bound to occur. The scenario where favortism and isolation quickly becomes the backdrop -- no matter how well anyone can try and deny it. It's an easy question with a very hard answer. Why can one car do it, and not the other. You can't just answer that by saying that the other car asked, so we said yes.

There are a lot of different sides to the understanding of how this can proceed... from the side of a governing entity (sanctioning body), the side of the entering entity (SA Drift), other competitors (possible protesters), the side of sponsors and spectators, and so on and so forth.

Racing is nothing new. Rules and regulations have always played a crucial role in the spirit of competition. The most competitive cars are always on the edge of the rules. Extremely competitive cars are built with the rules specifically in mind.

Racing isn't new for a lot of us here, and both you and I can speak on that behalf. Okay so now everything is out in the open. What should be done to make it all right from this point forward?

I'm still in favor for a:
    1) PENALTY FEE (for not following proper procedures in seeking pre-approval)
    2) APPROVAL from that point forward.
    3) Immediate VTS sheets for each competitor.
    4) remove the word "basic" from Rule 8.3.1

The car should be approved with whatever modifications are on it. Again, whatever modifications are on there clearly does not give that car a significant enough edge to dominate the series. It loses against other cars just the same.

A decision needs to be made fast because whatever needs to happen is going to have to come from Japan (personnel and parts).
    Last edited by courantcom; 07-01-2008, 12:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• olddrifter
    replied
    Cars with PRE-APPROVED suppension mods that were out side the normal rules have been a part of the FD from the start. They were just keep under raps by all. The whole point seens to be you did not ask in advance!!!!!!!!!!
    Its seems that a few builders/teams appear to get more chances to bend/break the rules than everyone else, but, they may have some insite into how to get thing done better than the rest of the teams.....
    Last edited by olddrifter; 07-01-2008, 12:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• courantcom
    replied
    Originally posted by jdmimpreza View Post
    That's because Victor is a ninja
    ...who's a ninja?

Leave a comment:

• courantcom
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian View Post
    Unreal.

2009 here we come
    2009 is inevitable. There are still 4 more rounds of 2008 left. The next round requires me to leave for Vegas next week. That means that this is the last weekend for anything to get done to the car if anything really.

Leave a comment:

• jdmimpreza
    replied
    Originally posted by Hubert Young View Post
    Sure... Trying to be stealthy?
    That's because Victor is a ninja

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    Unreal.

2009 here we come

Leave a comment:

• courantcom
    replied
    I know FD is simply enforcing a rule, but they are still responsible to maintain fairness.
    The SA team is looking for consistency in Formula D's rulings. If the Scion is given a green light, then so should the Skyline.

After seeing how all this has come about, they SHOULD have petitioned the car prior to even building the car, but in their defense, the rule book wording can easily be misinterpreted. On top of that, they were building a car with a translated rulebook in hand.

So what should be done as of right now? My opinion...I agree to a fine for not following procedures, but at the same time, that fine can NOT be outrageous.

Then, Formula D should just allow the car to compete as is, no additional penalties.

Leave a comment:

• courantcom
    replied
    I think the question to ask is that whether Formula D would had approved the skyline in the first place if the SA team had petitioned for it.

FD should also consider the fact that there is the Scion TC with radical changes to the drivetrain from FWD to RWD. Yes, they have petitioned but that modification was a stretch from the get go. Now you have a skyline with minor suspension modification with OEM parts from the C34 and it's deemed illegal? I know FD is simply enforcing a rule, but they are still responsible to maintain fairness.

Something can be worked out. May be some kind penalty for the SA team for not going through the proper petition process. Ruling the car outright illegal is wrong.
    The car is NOT illegal, it's "ineligible", but can still compete at its current state. The wording is confusing in my opinion, but in the spirit of this discussion about a vaguely worded rule book, it's all fair game.

A penalty has already been assessed. All qualifying points earned to date has been deducted. A deadline to fix everything was set to September 10. No additional qualifying points will be accrued until the suspension is put back to original. $250 fine for each event entered prior to the September 10 deadline, or until the corrections have been made.

Leave a comment:

• Hubert Young
    replied
    I think the question to ask is that whether Formula D would had approved the skyline in the first place if the SA team had petitioned for it.

FD should also consider the fact that there is the Scion TC with radical changes to the drivetrain from FWD to RWD. Yes, they have petitioned but that modification was a stretch from the get go. Now you have a skyline with minor suspension modification with OEM parts from the C34 and it's deemed illegal? I know FD is simply enforcing a rule, but they are still responsible to maintain fairness.

I am sure something can be worked out. May be some kind penalty for the SA team for not going through the proper petition process. Ruling the car outright illegal is just wrong.

Leave a comment:

• courantcom
    replied
    Originally posted by tyndago View Post
    It sucks when you are made an example of. Bad drifter...no cookies for you.
    That's not true. In the spirit of a particular drifting sanctioning body, I can still have cookies. I just have to take off any chocolate chips that may already be on there already, and pay more money for each of them. There's no price chart or anything, so I have to wait for someone to come up with a figure and tell me how much more.

Leave a comment:

• tyndago
    replied
    It sucks when you are made an example of. Bad drifter...no cookies for you.

Leave a comment:

• courantcom
    replied
    Should I have my rockstar glasses on too then? ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Hubert Young
    replied
    Originally posted by courantcom View Post
    I'm Victor. Nobody knows me.

Leave a comment:

• courantcom
    replied
    Originally posted by deadpirate View Post
    ^^ you and me are one of the few BH

this whole complaint about the skyline is retarded
    ...says your location is in Ventura. Don't you mean Riverside and/or the IE? ;-)

Leave a comment:

• courantcom
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian View Post
    ah ok, well I'm friends with Roo...
    Nobody wants to be my friend. Will you be my friend?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X