• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was he going to drift a boat at the event? J/K
    Yes, I officially have gone dumb. hahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by Formula D View Post
      Guys, regarding D1, the long and short of it goes like this.....

Like every other body, D1 was going to get two invites. We actually met with them in Long Beach and they presented a proposal to us. That proposal consisted of them wanting 6 invites for specific drivers they wanted to bring. After we discussed it with everyone and Red Bull, we found a way and told them yes.

In waiting for their confirmation, we reached out letting them know that we needed to confirm their presence so we could start making all the arrangements necessary. At that point D1 came back and said they needed a few more things to confirm. They said they needed to be able to film on-site and produce a DVD of their drivers. We went back to our team and after many days of hard work, we got permission to allow them to film everything but the actual top 32 tandem. However, Red Bull was willing to give D1 all the shots they took from every camera angle including top 32 tandem and D1 could use it in their DVD. They only request was that they name the event properly somewhere within the DVD, "Red Bull Drifting World Championship". A very fair deal considering the embargo on filming in general on this event. A huge concession for D1.

We presented this info back to D1 and asked for a confirmation. (Again, remember from the start they asked us for 6 invites and all these other requests). After waiting until really the 11th hour, we got a call from their US rep that essentially said, they're probably "gonna walk" unless they can bring their entire crew and film top 32 from predesignated spots and create a DVD. This would mean we would have to rework media areas and pockets to make space another big film crew. Bare in mind the production going into this is massive as is. There is even a helicopter. At that time we went back to the team and told them what D1 wanted thinking there was no way it was going to happen. Our attitude was if this is what we need to do to get those guys here and try to promote relationship building with D1, then lets push for it. Well, sure enough, we got that approved too after a massive effort. Guys, this was a huge effort for all of us to make this work, but we got it approved. Now D1's part to confirm....

....We asked them if they are good to go and can get get final confirmation. After another wait passed the 12th hour and into "damnit" land we spoke to their US rep who said, they are gonna pass (insert balloon deflating feeling here). A week or so later we received an official letter from their new president thanking us for the opportunity to be a part of the event and alluding to the fact the Trust going down has not allowed them to participate in the event. Take that as you will.

All in all, every time they made a request we said, "yes". Not once did we say no. We went down a long path with them on this deal and never once said no. Everything they asked for we got for them.

We originally dealt directly with D1 out of respect. Because knowing how things have happened in the past if we went directly to the drivers D1 might feel that we were not respecting them. So after that whole debacle and we were basically at the start again, we went to the drivers directly. NOB, Kazama, Orido all drivers that knew were were talking to D1 had already made arrangements to do other things (demos, other racing, etc). Other top D1 guys had deep interest in being at this event and had sponsors to come, but alas when it got down to coming they were persuaded to not be here. We were deeply grateful to pick up Ueo and then brave Saito came along. We could not announce him until after the last D1 event for risk of anything "odd" happening at that event. He put a car on a ship and has made preparations to come out. So we are back to where we started: 2 D1 Invites, 2 confirmations.

Last part..... In the short time after we announced Daigo Saito, we have already heard that he is being pressed not to come and that it would not be good for him to be here. Remember he put a boat on a ship! Anyway, we will see how it pans out for all the drift fans. 14 other drivers from farther parts of the world than Japan had absolutely ZERO issues confirming and getting cars here even in a crappy economy.
      LoL Im sorry but this is hilarious to me.

Formula D gave them everything short of a grease down and a shiatzu and D1STILL said no even though they would still get their DVD and in short have to do LESS WORK because Red Bull was going to GIVE THEM FOOTAGE!

I don't know what else to say guys...D1 has some management issues.

Do you have any idea what kind of miracle it is for them to be able to get Red Bull to approve D1 filming in their own spots for their own DVD?

Thats seriously a touch down from a kick-off return!

Dude what is going on across the pond over there?!

Ah well..

Anyway to Brian..no this doesn't take the fun away from drifting...the event will still be awesome and even if we dont get some of the top guys from Japan doesn't mean there still isn't a highly skilled crop involved.

I mean...lets face it...the only D1 guys most of us cared about seeing compete were N.O.B., Kumakubo, Kazama, and Orido.

And according to the list...all of those guys couldn't make it anyway because of reasons outside of D1's control.

We got Ueo and Saito...so who are we really losing out on as a result of this? Suenaga and Nomuken..those are the only guys I could think of...maybe there's more I dunno.

Anyway given the circumstances I dont see this as a huge loss. The best D1 guys are busy anyway...boo-hoo.

On another note the staff at Formula D should teach a business negotiations class because seriously what they pulled off can be seen in the business world as practically god-like!

Comment

• If a series won't let it's drivers come to a world wide event, then yes, I think that is taking the fun out of it and replacing it with "business"

Am I wrong?

Comment

• gotta love when politics come into it. Well, you guys officially rolled out the red carpet and they pissed on it, so Eff 'em. It'll still be a steller event for all.

Comment

• Yeah, seems as if FD went double...triple... fifteen extra lenghts, but no luck.

Good effort, boys.

get a beer.

Comment

• D1 sucks. This is going to be their loss. But of course, they'll find a way to point the finger elsewhere. It's never their fault

Originally posted by OldSkool510 View Post
              Was he going to drift a boat at the event?
              Maybe that's why they picked Long Beach Harbor... haha

Comment

• Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                Formula D gave them everything short of a grease down and a shiatzu and D1STILL said no even though they would still get their DVD and in short have to do LESS WORK because Red Bull was going to GIVE THEM FOOTAGE!
                Maybe FD should have offered the grease down and a shiatzu, too. lol LESS WORK and LESS MONEY spent, too. Helicopter footage, too. WTF

I'm definitely going to root for and support the D1 drivers coming out for this. It takes a lot of balls to go against the establishment known as D1.

Comment

• If a series won't let it's drivers come to a world wide event, then yes, I think that is taking the fun out of it and replacing it with "business"

Am I wrong?
                  Not wrong at all Brian. It is unfortunate. When D1 plays here, we want our guys to be in the mix with them. Why not? It would have been a shame to not see JR win, etc. If anyone from another series comes over here and spanks our guys, good for them. Had they not strung it out so long we could have discussed with the other drivers long before they made those commitments. Matter of fact, the original 6 D1 wanted were: Imamura, Nomura, Kumakubo, Suenaga, Taniguchi, Kawabata and Saito...heavy hitters.

Here is an opportunity to pit the best of the best together. We have committed Champions from every recognizable sanctioning body in the world. Luckily Daigo is a stud and stepped up so we have D1's champ too, so we can say we have everyone Champ attending.

At the end of the day, we feel like the best thing to do is just have a good attitude about it and press forward. The event is gonna be sick either way. Never before has this kind of talent been brought forth together and it is a testament to the will of those that committed. Guys from AUS, UK, Germany, CAN, NZ and EU are incredible drifters and though they may not have the recognizable names that some of the J guys do, now we get to see the talent they have. One might be so inclined to say that the names are not as recognizable only because they have not competed here or are in the US media as much as others are. The venue will be nothing anyone has seen before, the TV production will be huge, every seat is reserved and two day tickets online are $35, Pro AM Nat's, Top 32 Tandem, parties every night, 2 day tickets. Ok, enough with the bad sales pitch, but the point is there is a lot to be excited about.

This is a fun thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
                    D1 sucks. This is going to be their loss. But of course, they'll find a way to point the finger elsewhere. It's never their fault

Maybe that's why they picked Long Beach Harbor... haha
                    Hey slapshot, I think we just found a new motorsport we can venture into. Motorboat Drifting (MD).....What do you think?

D1 management sucks. They could have totally exploited this event to their advantage in so many ways. What idiots.....and can you imagine what this could have done for them if a D1 driver won the event...

FD took a big risk inviting them, in my opinion. I wonder if they're privately taking a big sigh of relief.

Thumbs up FD....You rock........

Comment

• so exactly how hard is it going to be to get media passes to film at this event? especially for those teams that just want footage of their driver. i personally film for two drivers. both of whom are competing at this event. is it going to be next to impossible for me to get a media pass to film?

Comment

• so exactly how hard is it going to be to get media passes to film at this event? especially for those teams that just want footage of their driver. i personally film for two drivers. both of whom are competing at this event. is it going to be next to impossible for me to get a media pass to film?
                        No it is not hard. You can film everything except top 32. If you so desire that footage we will provide you a line cut for your team. As long as you are not making a DVD, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by deadpirate View Post
                          so exactly how hard is it going to be to get media passes to film at this event? especially for those teams that just want footage of their driver. i personally film for two drivers. both of whom are competing at this event. is it going to be next to impossible for me to get a media pass to film?
                          it's pretty much the same rules as the season. There's a TV deal involved, so they just want to protect the TV rights.

See ya there, Ross

Comment

• I wish someone was giving away plane tickets for this

Comment

• Originally posted by Mars View Post
                              I wish someone was giving away plane tickets for this
                              http://www.sugardaddyforme.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Formula D View Post
                                No it is not hard. You can film everything except top 32. If you so desire that footage we will provide you a line cut for your team. As long as you are not making a DVD, etc.
                                Sweet! Thats good to hear.

Looks like I'll see you guys there then! (Just waiting on my credentials to clear, I'm sure John is swamped at the moment with everything that's going on)

Comment

Working...
                                X