History Turnbull Canyon Raceway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History Turnbull Canyon Raceway

I saw this road being talked about on this drifting forum here in Southern California. The section coming out of Whittier to the top is known as the Raceway. Every section of this 2.1 mile course at the end of Beverly Boulevard exiting Whittier is named. For all Drifters and racers in general if running it for time, you start at the forestry fire danger sign to the right of the road just past the new house development on the northside as you leave civilization. You are on your honor to roll thru the start line at the posted speed limit, then you punch it up "Pit Road" straight with a slight jog to the left known as "Sweeper" to the first right turn known as "Sandtrap" followed by a short straight to the first full left turn known as "Indianapolis". As you exit this turn you proceed down the longest straight touching 120+mph if you have enough HP down "Mulsanne" going thru "The Kink" and brake down for the right turn known as "The Elbow". You continue your deceleration on the straight known as "Skid Row" into the tightest turn known as "The Hairpin" which is taken drift style regardless of what type of car you are racing. You come out of The Hairpin and start up and thru the right curve known as "The Loop" then thru "The Esses". As you exit this section you approach the fastest turn on the course a right called "Parabolica". Next is a very technical section starting with a series of turns with the first being the left known as "Carrousel", then a right sweeper known as "Corkscrew" followed by a left sweeper "Horseshoe" then up and out with the last right sweeper with a double apex with the first being "Vertigo" connected to "Velocity" then next is "The Chicane" section which brakes down into the 90 degree right and left turns known as "Scorpion" (right) then "Rattlesnake" (left). You next approach "Big Bend" which is just a bend and around a super tight blind right turn known as "Deadmans". You climb up "Stairway" straight and into the left sweeper known as "Boomerag" (the n left out off of boomerang purposely on the club members t-shirts so we didn't get any posers with phony shirts who weren't part of the club! You then climb up the straight known as "Avalanche" to the rock right turn outcropping known as "Gibraltar". Next is the snaking straight known as "Mambo" to the left sweep turn called "Maneater" then immediately thru the right knicknamed "Switchback" to the left sweeper turn "Ricochet". You next climb "Everest" straightaway and into "G-Force" a right turn which necessitates carrying your crucial speed or you destroy your timed run. Out of G-Force you run thru the short section known as "Accelerator" and into the final left bend known as "Grandstand" with the finish line being the sign on the right side of the road just after this last turn. No side streets, no driveways to worry about from start to finish, just watch for vehicles coming the other way. When familiar you learn to look for headlights coming down as you apex in and thru the opposite side of the road for maximum speed. You learn the truly blind spots so a really late from the outside lane late apex dives you past on coming traffic if a car gets on a non-closed course.This completes the run and now you are at the top still on the Whittier side but in Hacienda Heights.

I lived in the Heights and in Whittier most of my life and during the years from 1976-1979 the ole Turnbull Canyon Road Racing Society Club established these turn and straightaway names. Walkie Talkies were taken up there and sentries posted on both sides (Whittier and Hacienda sides) usually while the Whittier Police and the LA Sheriffs on the HH side were taking the drunks down in the city in for booking at 2am. Racing was uphill only and every car was tech checked and then the club would close the road for solo timed runs. This activity was chosen after getting bored with the drag racing scene down on Whittier Boulevard. I had a 1969 primer colored Z-28 and also a Silver flared Road raced 1968 T-top Corvette with 500hp. Have fun if you dare, but at your own risk, Derek!
    Last edited by ; 11-17-2008, 01:01 AM. Reason: added material

Here is the map for the above section called the raceway!

I am adding this map. It comes from one of our club T-shirts from 1978-79 back when I was in High School. The raceway is 2.1 miles long from where Beverly Boulevard ends coming out of Whittier and to the very top of the hill. No one raced officially down the Hacienda side unless you where stupid, because there where too many driveways etc.

Comment

Working...
    X