Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petition for Rhys Millen and Hyundai

Hey guys,

I help run a Hyundai Genesis board and we've got a petition going to try and get Hyundai to step up and sponsor Rhys Millen Racing for some events next year in the new Genesis Coupe. If you you'd like to see Rhys racing the Genesis Coupe feel free to sign up on the petition and voice your support. If you guys have any questions let me know.

Online Petition: Hyundai support Rhys Millen for 2009

Thanks!

fat chance.

This is purely a situation of Money. Rhys wanted $$$$ from Hyundai, Hyundai didn't want to pay that much. I believe there was an exclusivity requirement as well.

I think more innovative engineering will come if Hyundai just gives a few teams dollar cars, and maybe en extra motor or two. Maybe, say, Justin Pawlak, Hiro Sumida, Pat Mordaunt, or Ross Petty.

Tanner switching to Scion wasn't just a 'sponsorship' deal, it involved money, and probably a lot of it. Rhys isn't going to run the Hyundai for free. He has a proven chassis that is capable of winning, and he wants to stay on top. If Hyundai wants him to run their car, they're going to have to shell out a heck of a lot of cash to get Rhys to do all the R&D on getting the platform setup right, and I know Rhys won't do it out of the kindness of his heart.

Your petition doesn't mean anything to a manufacturer.
    Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 11-26-2008, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Can't agree more. In line to what Jacob said, you can rewrite your petition to ask Hyundai to sponsor other drivers who really need help. A lot of teams are capable and are willing to put in the R&D with proper support.

Hyundai will get a lot more exposure in drifting with a lot less money if they can support a few teams with their cars and parts. And Hyundai will also get more respect from the fans because they are helping the more grassroots guys.
      Hubert Young
      KORE 8 Films

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
        fat chance.

This is purely a situation of Money. Rhys wanted $$$$ from Hyundai, Hyundai didn't want to pay that much. I believe there was an exclusivity requirement as well.

I think more innovative engineering will come if Hyundai just gives a few teams dollar cars, and maybe en extra motor or two. Maybe, say, Justin Pawlak, Hiro Sumida, Pat Mordaunt, or Ross Petty.

Tanner switching to Ross wasn't just a 'sponsorship' deal, it involved money, and probably a lot of it. Rhys isn't going to run the Hyundai for free. He has a proven chassis that is capable of winning, and he wants to stay on top. If Hyundai wants him to run their car, they're going to have to shell out a heck of a lot of cash to get Rhys to do all the R&D on getting the platform setup right, and I know Rhys won't do it out of the kindness of his heart.

I'm not an expert (nor do I claim to be) but I believe Rhys' contract to drive the Pontiac is over. So he won't be driving it next year and thus your point about him having a proven chassis is moot. He still has his relationship with Red Bull but in his words, "I'm a free agent." Anyways I'm not saying this is going to be cheap, obviously part of this is about money and sponsorships are harder to come by these days but Hyundai claims to be a new and different kind of company and they may listen to what the community wants. For me I'm going to try and do my part to get this to happen and being part of Hyundai's Think Tank program I'm going to push it hard.

Also you'd be surprised how kind Rhys' heart is. For the Hyundai SEMA car he dished out plenty of his own money to show his commitment. For every dollar put into the car Rhys put in at least two.

If the petition doesn't work then ohwell at least we tried and at least we voiced our opinion instead of sitting back and doing nothing.

Thanks!

Comment

fat chance.

Tanner switching to Ross wasn't just a 'sponsorship' deal, it involved money, and probably a lot of it. Rhys isn't going to run the Hyundai for free. He has a proven chassis that is capable of winning, and he wants to stay on top. If Hyundai wants him to run their car, they're going to have to shell out a heck of a lot of cash to get Rhys to do all the R&D on getting the platform setup right, and I know Rhys won't do it out of the kindness of his heart.

Your heart is in the right place but the situation isn't really that simple.

Yes Rhys requires money...but so would anyone else that Hyundai gives a car to.

Lets make all things equal and talk about the drivers you mentioned: JTP, Juice Box, Hiro, and Petty.

Hiro doesn't have Falken money anymore and Petty is getting limited support. Juice Box was paying his own way for a while until the Brallie deal came up. And JTP was already running on a shoe string budget as it was and that was with a dated RX-7. Giving them a dollar car and a few spare motors wouldn't help them much as they wouldn't have the budget to develop the car.

Besides that JTP is already spoken for and Ross Petty already has a pretty sweet machine being built over at Boso as I'm typing this.

Sure Rhys wanted a lot of money...but its clear that is money well spent because he builds championship calibur cars. If you want to be competitive you need to put in the money.

If Hyundai went to any of those guys you mentioned they would all still ask for cash on top of the car to fund the development and cover other team costs.

Money is only part of this. Hyundai isn't afraid to spend money on the Genesis coupe.

The issue is that Hyundai doesn't want to go drifting...They'd rather go road racing and compete against Porsche cup cars. Which is why they had Rhys build his Genesis coupe as a time attack car instead of a drift car.

Their product managers dont really understand how awesome their Genesis coupe would be to drifting fans and they feel they'd get more exposure racing rather than drifting.

The Genesis coupe is awesome but I don't think someone who has the money for a GT3 RS is going to change his mind and buy a Hyundai sports car instead.

Someone hasn't told them that most 16-25 year olds dont watch SPEED World Challenge.

So I think the purpose for this petition is to show Hyundai that we (drifting enthusiasts who buy cars) would love to see the Genesis coupe drift.

I think we need to look at the bigger picture here. Sure if Hyundai comes in they might only be with Rhys at first...but if they do well with him that could mean that they'll look at more options in drifting in the future.

This isn't just about getting Rhys a car...its about bringing another manufacturer into the sport thus providing more opportunities in the future for drivers.
          Last edited by MonkeySlide; 11-25-2008, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Someone hasn't told them that most 16-25 year olds dont watch SPEED World Challenge.
            They know this... and I don't know where you are getting your information but hyundai does want to go drifting. But not on a series road race budget......just yet. There will be a Hyundai drift car sometime next year or early 2010. Of course there main focus is on top level road racing, what car manufacture isn't?

We will probably see one in full pro drift trim in japan or in china before the US anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
              They know this... and I don't know where you are getting your information but hyundai does want to go drifting. But not on a series road race budget......just yet. There will be a Hyundai drift car sometime next year or early 2010. Of course there main focus is on top level road racing, what car manufacture isn't?

We will probably see one in full pro drift trim in japan or in china before the US anyway.
              Actually Hyundai does want to enter drift. Money is a different issue, what they are willing to spend? Not sure, but an associate of mine is a project manager for them and told me that Hyundai released there marketing company and now each project manager works on there own projects/promotions. I happen to work for a sponsor of FormulaD and have been trying to connect Hyundai to someone. Being there first RWD production for Hyundai drift is where they should be. Hiro might be a great choice, the lexus wasn't the right ride for him. Recently Calvin Wan drove it and said he thought it was an amazing vehicle. The new driver is also excited to get in and start practicing. Don't be suprised to see Hyundai out at the track next season

Comment

I'll drive one if it is free of charge.

Comment

The discussion/debate for this started back when Hyundai first debuted the Genesis coupe at the LA Auto Show a year ago. Rhys and a few other teams were already talking to them at that point.

I spoke to Hyundai product managers and a pretty reliable source within RMR back then. And the story from both was the same...Hyundai or at least who ever was in charge of the Genesis coupe product launch didn't see the value in drifting.

Now if things have changed it was probably recently. When I made my first post it was to illustrate why something like an online petition would be needed in the first place. If Hyundai..or someone within Hyundai changed their mind about drifting then great.
                  Last edited by MonkeySlide; 11-26-2008, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                    The discussion/debate for this started back when Hyundai first debuted the Genesis coupe at the LA Auto Show. Rhys and a few other teams were already talking to them at that point.

I spoke to Hyundai product managers and a pretty reliable source within RMR. And the story from both was the same...Hyundai or at least who ever was in charge of the Genesis coupe product launch didn't see the value in drifting.

Now if things have changed it was probably recently. When I made my first post it was to illustrate why something like an online petition would be needed in the first place. If Hyundai..or someone within Hyundai changed their mind about drifting then great.
                    I just talked to my hyundai guy and they have some motorsport programs in place for there future. He couldn't really say what, but he was with Ford before and is passionate about what is going to be good for the product. We will see, but he did say it would be exciting news. I will find out soon and probably let people know.

Comment

Rhys Millen and RMR get Hyundai Sponsorship!

Just wanted to update everyone but Hyundai announced today at the Chicago Auto Show that they will be sponsoring RMR and the Red Bull Hyundai Genesis Coupe at THREE different motoring events: Formula Drift, Redline Time Attack, and the Pikes Peak Hill Climb...

Download the press release below:

http://genesisforums.org/announcemen...me-attack.html

Also Hyundai today announced the pricing on their "R-Spec" version, a semi-stripped down version, that includes Brembo brakes and a sport-tuned suspension... MSRP on this car will be $23,750...

Press release below:
                      http://genesisforums.org/announcemen...-released.html

What is everyone's thoughts? Good or bad?

Originally posted by sabbasaun View Post
                      Hey guys,

I help run a Hyundai Genesis board and we've got a petition going to try and get Hyundai to step up and sponsor Rhys Millen Racing for some events next year in the new Genesis Coupe. If you you'd like to see Rhys racing the Genesis Coupe feel free to sign up on the petition and voice your support. If you guys have any questions let me know.

Online Petition: Hyundai support Rhys Millen for 2009

Thanks!

Comment

after everything went to crap with the economy, Rhys cut how much money he really needed, and the deal was done. Word is that the kit will be for sale to the public, he's got CF / Fiberglass molds of every single body panel. Good move for him to recoup some money, he'll be the first manufacturer out with a kit.

Comment

after everything went to crap with the economy, Rhys cut how much money he really needed, and the deal was done. Word is that the kit will be for sale to the public, he's got CF / Fiberglass molds of every single body panel. Good move for him to recoup some money, he'll be the first manufacturer out with a kit.
                          Yeah I think they will be trying to market a lot of parts to the public and from an article I read they want to try and develop a closer relationship with Hyundai, similar to what Rousch has with Ford or Stillen has with Nissan. Should be interesting, I think it would be good for the Hyundai brand if they did this.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/au...ftcarnews.html

piece from the article:
                          "I hope it's just the start and we can diversify beyond drifting," Millen said. "I want to build on my relationship with Hyundai to start a parts program with dealers, sort of like what Roush and Saleen did with the Mustang, for this new Genesis Coupe. I want to build exhaust systems, body pieces and even start a signature series with number plates."

Comment

I like how these "big insiders" doubted this guy(me included kinda).

And BLAM!!! Hyundai drift car.

Comment

I like how these "big insiders" doubted this guy(me included kinda).

And BLAM!!! Hyundai drift car.
                              lol, the industry moves fast as they say.. According to the article I posted everything happened within the last month as far as getting a contract done. RMR and Hyundai pulled it off and now they can go racing. I'm not sure if our little petition had an effect but I'd like to think it did.

Comment

Working...
                              X