No announcement yet.

Red Bull Drifting World Championship on SPEED TV! 12.21.2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was obviously a bigger production than other Formula D events, but This was really a 2 hour program crammed into 1 hour.

They should have shown ALL of the crashed, because everyone likes seeing crashes. Nascar figured that out decades ago lol.

I was also hoping they'd talk to Sam Hubinette about his Challenger. Seeing brand new cars enter the scene will grab some attention. Even if someone isn't into drifting, I'm sure they might watch FD to see a shot of the new Challenger in a full race/drift build.

I agree with other people about the lack of international drivers' airtime. It was a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP and it seems like only the American drivers got interviewed.

(edit) I would like to say that I liked that guy Robbie they brought on with Ryan Sage. He brought a level of professionalism that people can take seriously. J-Rod doesn't need to convince me to like drifting, but I don't think he's going to bring in many outsiders. Love ya J-Rod. Nothing personal
    Last edited by Sebring; 12-22-2008, 04:07 AM.

Comment

oh yeah, the new announcer.

NO THANKS.

He is a good announcer in general, but not for drifting.

He should stick to Nascar/ dirt oval racing / rodeo / whatever he came from. His voice fits in better over there.
      I REALLY think if they chose a new announcer, they should have picked one who CAME FROM A DRIFTING BACKGROUND.

Ueo vs. Dai was not a drifter's dream match. What?

I'm glad they showed how badass Ueo's driving was.

J. Herron should have been in charge of the show. I agree 100%

Comment

Wow, I am surprised by some of the negative feedback. This production was by far and a way the most expensive production done for drifting thus far and the response from everyone (Speed, RB) besides this board has been amazing considering all factors that may or may not be transparent to you all

For those that said you can't see clips, that is certainly not true. You can see inner, outer, etc with no problem.

Also keep in mind this show is an international Red Bull product meaning that it will be going to places like Russia for example who may have never seen or know how the sport works. Explanations were a required part of the programming. Additionally, the new judging format being simplified made things easier and more exciting as well.

I too, felt this was definitely a two hour show, but as you may have noticed we sacrificed in-show features that actually help the cost of production to do a Top 32 recap of EVERY driver. So the guys did get some coverage. Additionally, there is a secondary international version has much more time allotted (48 minutes to a 42 minute US version) so that means more INTL coverage. Red Bull knows what they are doing with this.

I personally thought the heli shots were money and the ultimate arm was pretty buff as well.

I too love some of the production that the other boys come out with (Crash, Wrecked, etc). The difficulty with all of that in what we want versus Speeds standards and practices often don't mesh with ultimately EXACTLY what you want. The show however is a good recap of the majority of the action and gives about as much as you can do in 42 minutes. Internally we all had so many sick things we wanted it but just didn't work. I literally fight for certain things that never make the show so DVD, yes. Working on that.

Crooked X is a Red Bull sponsored band so that is why that is inserted. I assume that incurred the "HIN" comment, but hey, what are you gonna do? I see nothing of HIN (no offense, good friend of ours) in this production.

Keep in mind this production is just one piece of the pie. There were over 500 media outlets there and in the month of November, we tracked 42 million impressions from those stories or vids alone. Plenty of guys got plenty of love. Consequently, the consensus of the INTL guys is that they would do it again in a heart beat.

Cavi Mike, having a 42 minute show of which 90 percent was dedicated to actual drifting is demographic central. It is not bound by age, race, etc. If you like drifting or if it caught your interest, it was there for you.

HTML Code:
        It took more than 15 minutes to show a full run from start to finish. why?!
        This is the exact same format that has been approved for every other FD show. Nothing different. And it wasn't 15 minutes. It was 8:32

FYI, we do use "underground" video guys for the show. Andy from the DA crew is one of them.

It's unfortunate that some of you, the core fan, and much appreciated fan did not like the way it turned out certainly we will take all of those things to consideration. We always do. On a very strong note, the show has been very well received by the powers that be and Red Bull loved the event and show which means get ready for 2009. So at least for you we will keep doing these things.

Thanks again for the feedback, it is certainly welcome.

FD

Comment

Jim/Ryan - I think, with this type of media coming along with drifting, you simply will not "keep" the core fans. You just won't. They aren't going to like it. I think this happens with everything. (bands, surfing, drifting, skateboarding, etc.....)

I believe you that the show was a great success. I can see that it was probably great for a new drifting fan or even somebody who has never seen drifting before. As far as that whole aspect, I think you guys had a 100% win. Congrats.

However, with this being posted on drifting.com (in theory, frequented by "real" drifters), I did not imagine that there would be many positive responses. I was right.

All in all, "real" drifters will not like it. New fans/general population will love it.

anyways, I look forward to going next year.

Comment

I am a real drifter and I like the show a lot. Best ever drifting program on TV. Heli shots are money!
            Hubert Young
            KORE 8 Films

Comment

Yeah, I know you are Hubert.

I think my point was this,

This is a feedback thread about the biggest drifting production to date. For some reason, 99% of the people seemed to have overall negative feelings about it. That should be a red flag right from the get-go.

FD will say they liked it.
              Pro drivers will probably say they liked it. (I think you are the first pro driver to respond, Hubert)
              General audience will probably like it.
              "core fans" don't seem to like it.

All in all, for those that are part of this, bravo. I hope you get filthy rich.

Comment

I LOVED the helecopter shots. It's a shame they're so expencive 'cause I'd love to see them at all the events.

I was a little upset to see some of the best runs cut down due to time (particularly the Dai / Ueo run 'cause that was epic). I understand time constraints and speed, but I still kinda wanted my family that didn't make the event to see it. It was decent and really picked up in the end, but as always, I want to see more action.

Is there gonna be a DVD of this event all by it's lonesome? If so it would be epic to get some of the full solo runs in there, like rhys's attempted 108mph entry that he barely pulled out of.

Comment

eomund - don't worry, you got to watch a few minutes of Rhys' life story about how he didn't know that if he went off the jump faster, he might travel further and whatnot. That's why you didn't get to see more of Dai vs. Ueo.

Oh, and T2 vs. Sam. That was fast, Oh, Chris stalled, Sam wins. NEXT. Way to go, team. God forbid Mopar/Nuformz/sam/viking apparel/ let it slide and have 2 REAL runs.

Comment

I finally just watched it and well....

The intro was awesome, i saw that and though hmm maybe this isn't as bad as the internets says it is, minus the song but that's just preference.

Then they have bmx people and motocross people that i don't care about talking about drifting....hmmm no. It was like someone telling me this is an extreme sport like all those other ones (which was alright i guess), then taking it a step too far and filling it with interviews about stuff i didn't care about and how some motocross guy drifted a car once.

Then the band, it's redbull i understand they probably wanted them to be on tv and whatever, but that was just painful to watch. (not the music, the interview)

The announcer was interesting i guess, not horrible, but at times it was a facepalm. I don't know his background in drifting, maybe he knows what he's talking about but it doesn't sound like it, but is there not someone in drifting who can announce that knows drifting well? like a pro-am driver or something that wouldn't be running the event but would know the ins and outs?

I understand the time constraints and everything that was important was put into the show, but as everyone has said more of the top 32 would have been nice. Like change out talking with the band, and motocross people, and put just a bit more top 32 in. Maybe not full runs but at least a little bit.

I don't know i can't think of anything else as of now, overall i liked it even though I am complaining about things. It entertained me as always until the end when it basically just turned into any other round of formula d, but that's no one's fault really those were just the drivers who overcame.

Comment

Even though I wasn't the host of this show as you saw Robbie Floyd who is well versed in Moto X and other action sports did a good job for his first drift event and Ryan as always, is on it.

I had the pleasure to be the LIVE MC of the event and it was history making.
                      By the way professional drifting is on TV plus with this much production behind a drift event is AWESOME! ENJOY IT!

What I've learned over 5 years of MC'ing the FD events is....
                      YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYBODY!!!
                      It's very true from fans of one driver to the other, music preference, knowledge level, the newbies, the old schoolers, the "know it all's", it's just IMPOSSIBLE to make everybody completely happy on a TV side and a live event side.

Seriously! Feedback is welcome but keep it positive and let's build on what we have...

I enjoyed the show, there were somethings I didn't care for of course but hey even when I watch my favorite TV show Entourage I get bummed or frustrated at particular things but I STILL LOVE the show....

So good job FD and to bigger and smokier drifts in 2009!

Happy Holidays to all and Happy New Year!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D View Post
                        Wow, I am surprised by some of the negative feedback. This production was by far and a way the most expensive production done for drifting thus far and the response from everyone (Speed, RB) besides this board has been amazing considering all factors that may or may not be transparent to you all

of course speed is gunna have an amazing response

For those that said you can't see clips, that is certainly not true. You can see inner, outer, etc with no problem.
                        i didnt see it. i watched the whole show start to finish. honestly, the footage was cut before the drivers actually go through the clip

Also keep in mind this show is an international Red Bull product meaning that it will be going to places like Russia for example who may have never seen or know how the sport works. Explanations were a required part of the programming. Additionally, the new judging format being simplified made things easier and more exciting as well.
                        so the places OUTSIDE of the USA will get the good *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*, but *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* everyone where the events actually take place??

I too, felt this was definitely a two hour show, but as you may have noticed we sacrificed in-show features that actually help the cost of production to do a Top 32 recap of EVERY driver. So the guys did get some coverage. Additionally, there is a secondary international version has much more time allotted (48 minutes to a 42 minute US version) so that means more INTL coverage. Red Bull knows what they are doing with this.
                        .5 seconds of takatori dosent count. and i never heard kyle mohans name mentioned once

I personally thought the heli shots were money and the ultimate arm was pretty buff as well.
                        i can agree with this statement

I too love some of the production that the other boys come out with (Crash, Wrecked, etc). The difficulty with all of that in what we want versus Speeds standards and practices often don't mesh with ultimately EXACTLY what you want. The show however is a good recap of the majority of the action and gives about as much as you can do in 42 minutes. Internally we all had so many sick things we wanted it but just didn't work. I literally fight for certain things that never make the show so DVD, yes. Working on that.
                        make the DVD good. talk to guys like will roegge, josh herron and ross fairfield for insight on what the dvd NEEDS

Crooked X is a Red Bull sponsored band so that is why that is inserted. I assume that incurred the "HIN" comment, but hey, what are you gonna do? I see nothing of HIN (no offense, good friend of ours) in this production.
                        we dont need an interview about how the band is a bunch of bad drivers

Keep in mind this production is just one piece of the pie. There were over 500 media outlets there and in the month of November, we tracked 42 million impressions from those stories or vids alone. Plenty of guys got plenty of love. Consequently, the consensus of the INTL guys is that they would do it again in a heart beat.
                        im sure they would. i would if i was in their shoes. but they hardly got any actualy coverage. i saw more of MAD MIKE then i did of takatori, or ueo, or james deane.

FYI, we do use "underground" video guys for the show. Andy from the DA crew is one of them.
                        is andy the only one?

It's unfortunate that some of you, the core fan, and much appreciated fan did not like the way it turned out certainly we will take all of those things to consideration. We always do. On a very strong note, the show has been very well received by the powers that be and Red Bull loved the event and show which means get ready for 2009. So at least for you we will keep doing these things.
                        please talk to the fans that have been into drifting for a long time as well as the media guys that film at these events as well. we have ideas and insight on things to help keep it true to the drifters and not some fly by night production

Thanks again for the feedback, it is certainly welcome.

FD
                        thank you for putting on the event.

Comment

More money obviously more problems.

Hate to say it, but when I attend a D1 event and purchase a DVD version of the event at a later time I'm always satisfied with the quality and quantity of materiel I receive.

Ive yet to get that with FD in the last 3 years.

I enjoyed the event though!

Comment

just wanted to say awsome show. but i do agree that there should be more in car footage.i know its only a houre long show. but If they put out every rounds raw in car footage i would burn the money to buy it. im still a big fan of drifting and i started by watching all the incar footage in the start. and learned a lot. will this season be for sale on dvd? if they do please add some incar!
                            DRIVE SAFE ANDY YEN SWING Battle

Comment

Originally posted by J-Rod View Post
                              Even though I wasn't the host of this show as you saw Robbie Floyd who is well versed in Moto X and other action sports did a good job for his first drift event and Ryan as always, is on it.

I had the pleasure to be the LIVE MC of the event and it was history making.
                              By the way professional drifting is on TV plus with this much production behind a drift event is AWESOME! ENJOY IT!

What I've learned over 5 years of MC'ing the FD events is....
                              YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYBODY!!!
                              It's very true from fans of one driver to the other, music preference, knowledge level, the newbies, the old schoolers, the "know it all's", it's just IMPOSSIBLE to make everybody completely happy on a TV side and a live event side.

Seriously! Feedback is welcome but keep it positive and let's build on what we have...

I enjoyed the show, there were somethings I didn't care for of course but hey even when I watch my favorite TV show Entourage I get bummed or frustrated at particular things but I STILL LOVE the show....

So good job FD and to bigger and smokier drifts in 2009!

Happy Holidays to all and Happy New Year!!!
                              Between yours and Ryans hosting on Irwindale, that was probably one of the best announcing I've seen in FD this year. I've seen Robbie Floyd announce other stuff, he's not bad, just a little on the generic side.

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                              More money obviously more problems.

Hate to say it, but when I attend a D1 event and purchase a DVD version of the event at a later time I'm always satisfied with the quality and quantity of materiel I receive.

Ive yet to get that with FD in the last 3 years.

I enjoyed the event though!
                              One big plus D1 has is they don't have these massive sponsors like speed and redbull they have to please. I'm willing to bet there was a contracted requirement to show a certain amount of this other material, primarily to get redbulls name out there.

One thing I have to throw out there. It will never ever be as exciting on TV as it is live.

Sooo... Is there gonna be a DVD?

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D View Post
                                Andy needs to be running the show!!!!

I was out of line with my first post, frustration just got the best of me. I just want to see the show be as awesome as possible, ya know! It's awesome that you guys actually read and listen to what we have to say and take our comments to heart...not that many people can or want to do that. If it seemed like I was out of line, or completely off base, I apologize. There's just really no excuse for NOT having a show that melts peoples faces off every time they watch it.

There's just certain things that have always gotten to me, or could have been improved. They aren't even things that would take a lot of effort. It's just production value.

- Cameras for the clipping points. The only one I saw was at FD vegas, but it was pointing the wrong direction. To me this should be the most important thing for filming drifting. You want the general public to know how clipping points work, but we never get to see how close they actually get. Compare the long beach episode from this year to last year. Perfect example was when Haraguchi took the clip off of the wall. You got to see how close he actually was to the wall. Now look at this year...no shots like that were there. They don't need a $10,000 camera for this. You can have an $800 Canon HV20 on a tripod facing right at the clips or one clip. Realistically you only need one of these placed at the clip or zone where drivers get the closest. This is all production value. The general public hears this and thinks, "So they are supposed to get close to those cone things" If they were to see how close some of these guys get they would say "Holy sh*t that guy is insane" or "F*ck! how did he do that?!" Imagine a camera placed at the top of the bank at Irwindale when JR scraped the wall the entire way...again, production value.

- Commercials. I'm sure there's probably a reason there are so many commercial breaks, but that is probably the most frustrating thing about the show. You watch one run of top 16 and then we get the whole "When we come back...." statement. I'm sure this probably has to do with the cost of the time slot, but that's something that can potentially drive viewers away. What do people do when commercials come on? They change the channel to something that isn't playing commercials at that time. What happens if they change the channel to something else that grabs their attention? You lose viewers.

- Release dates for shows. The end of the season?!?! Really? This has been the biggest gripe that I've heard from EVERYONE. I mean is there any sort of reason that justifies this? There should be no reason at all for this. By the time the show airs, the buzz about the event is gone. There's usually a one month gap between events which is ample time to put out an hour long show, so why do we have to wait 5+ months to see round 1? There should be absolutely no excuse for this. Don't have the time to get into the studio to narrate the show? Find someone who does. The crew doesn't have time to put the show together? Get a crew who does. People have short attention spans, most of them forget to watch the shows by the time they air. What if there was some sort of controversy at an event, like 07 when Haraguchi brake checked tanner. Everyone was buzzing about that yet there was no footage of it until half a year after the fact. People see something crazy, they go talk about it, the buzz gets around, people want to see it for their own eyes. How easy would it be to promote the show at the event? "Tune into Speed next Sunday to see tonight's event all over again" People are going to remember this. Instead people hear "Tune into Speed at the end of the year to see tonight's event (Which happened in April)" People are going to forget all about the event by then.

Please feel free to correct me where I'm wrong, these are things people have been talking about and if there is a reason for certain things, let it be known so we all can understand the reasoning behind it.

Again I apologize if I'm coming off too harsh, I just want to see FD have an amazing show, which I know can happen

-Josh
                                Last edited by J.Herron; 12-22-2008, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X