No announcement yet.

D1GP USA RULEBOOK And SERIES JUDGING FORMAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So let me know if I get this right. So everyone has to pay $100 to basically try and qualify for the amatuer spots.

Is this $100 payed even by the pro drivers?

Than if you make it to the top 30 amatuer or pro you have to pay another $250 to even compete in the event?

So essentially if someone were to come in as an amatuer and make it all the way to the top 30 he has to pay $350 to compete for the weekend. Now lets say you qualify number 30 and even though yeah the underdog can come out and win you know some of the 30 are going to be like okay I am not going to win this what is to stop them from saying nah I don't want to be in the 30.

The field will slowly start to dwindle down to basically who wants to spend $350 to drift this weekend if you do than you are in the top 30.

I mean $350 can be a lot of money to a small amatuer team to just compete.

confused??

Comment

Can someone tell me what the payout is if there's only 15 drivers in the drivers search? i think D1 may have some problems finding drivers with legal cars at the events outside of California...

Also, what if there's only 25 drivers who show up for the events out of town? I think that's a very likely scenario outside of California, so I'm curious how it affects payouts...

Comment

So lets take that scenario saying pro doesnt have to pay the $100 and we will say 15 is amatuer and ten are pro.

Of course with only being 25 cars they all make it to the competition i guess.

15 amatuer at $350 = $5250
        10 pro at $250 = $2500
        Total purse = $7750

Series Payout = $3875
        1st = $1937.50
        2nd = $968.75
        3rd = $581.25
        4th = $387.50

Comment

Originally posted by rtype16 View Post
          So lets take that scenario saying pro doesnt have to pay the $100 and we will say 15 is amatuer and ten are pro.

Of course with only being 25 cars they all make it to the competition i guess.

15 amatuer at $350 = $5250
          10 pro at $250 = $2500
          Total purse = $7750

Series Payout = $3875
          1st = $1937.50
          2nd = $968.75
          3rd = $581.25
          4th = $387.50
          Interesting. Something to take note of...

When NOPI had 20 cars show up to an event, they still paid $5k to first and $10k in total per event, paying all the way to 8th place. When entry is $350 and 4th place gets $387.50, it makes it less enticing to the "grassroots" guy to enter. I hope sponsors don't get duped by the "if 100 cars enter our drivers search"... because no driver search in the US has EVER had that many drivers.

It also makes it less likely that the Japanese teams will come over on their own dime, since the top 2 payouts would even cover the airfare of the driver in the above circumstance.

Comment

Yeah it is interesting. I am not saying that is how it is going to be as I do not work at D1, but going by the press release that is how i would figure it out to be.

Comment

Even IF D1 has 100 entrants into the drivers search, the payouts are still less than FD and NOPI (RIP):

D1 USA RD Fee Number of Entries Total
              Qualifying $100 100 $10,000
              Pro Comp $250 30 $7,500
              TOTAL Entry Collected $17,500

1/2 of TOTAL Entry goes toward EVENT PRIZE PURSE $8,750
              1/2 of TOTAL Entry goes toward CHAMPIONSHIP PURSE $8,750

FD 1 event prize purse = $11,000
              NOPI 1 event prize purse = $10,000

Championship end-of-season Prize Purse:
              FD = $40,000
              D1 = 4 events x $8750 = $35,000
              NOPI = $20k in 2007, although they also paid out $80k in event winnings (7 events, finals were double pay for the missed chicago event) which means the total prize payouts were $100k)

Total Payouts for a season:
              FD = $117k + tires.com triple crown ($10k) + contingency
              NOPI 2007 = $100k + contingency
              D1 US 2009 prospective, based on 100 entries to drivers search = $70k + promised contingency (nothing has been announced, and there's no TV deal)

Comment

Originally posted by YOitzJDM View Post
                Even IF D1 has 100 entrants into the drivers search, the payouts are still less than FD and NOPI (RIP):

Pro Comp $250 30 $7,500

FD = $40,000
                NOPI = $20k in 2007, although they also paid out $80k in event winnings (7 events, finals were double pay for the missed chicago event) which means the total prize payouts were $100k)

D1 US 2009 prospective, based on 100 entries to drivers search = $70k + promised contingency (nothing has been announced, and there's no TV deal)

So lets see how this compares when you look at it as per event since every event costs something to do, right?
                NOPI 7 events/100k= 14K per event prize money
                FD 7 events/117K= 16.7K
                D1 4 events/70K=17.5K

So D1 has the biggest payouts in reality. But the chances of getting 100 amateurs to sign up for qualifier is unrealistic.

Comment

So lets see how this compares when you look at it as per event since every event costs something to do, right?
                  NOPI 7 events/100k= 14K per event prize money
                  FD 7 events/117K= 16.7K
                  D1 4 events/70K=17.5K

So D1 has the biggest payouts in reality. But the chances of getting 100 amateurs to sign up for qualifier is unrealistic.
                  Actually not really. This is our real breakdown

Total per event purse: $77,000
                  Total Championship purse: $40,000
                  Tires.com Triple Crown: $10,000
                  *Min. Awarded Contingency: $35,000

*Does not include Tire Co's Contingency direct to teams

Total: $162,000/7 = $23,142

Even if you take away contingency, we still are more, its guaranteed and we pay down to 8th place

D1's idea is creative, but it's not the most money out there. We by far have the biggest purse. In reality, for D1 to reach our per event purse, they would need 145 drivers to register. 145x$100 = $14,500 + $7,500 (top 30 reg) = $22,000. Half ($11,000) goes to Championship, half goes to per event purse. By their own admission they are getting their numbers using 100 drivers so the numbers are way off our guaranteed money.

Since they are going the method of mass registration and needing the AM following, even 100 competitors is very tough to hit. However, unless they are completely lax on their rule book or they decide to make changes for it, many AM's wont be able to afford to build cars to their specs anyway.

We credit them for being creative, but it's gonna be tough since even So. CA can't support that many drivers.

Comment

100 Entries??

Originally posted by YOitzJDM View Post

Pro Comp $250 30 $7,500

FD = $40,000

Give me a break, I can't believe you guys are comparing this as ideal scenario with 100 entrants. Do they even have 100 entrants per event, I can't imagine 100 cars showing up to each event? Why doesn't someone do some calculations with some more realistic numbers. So what happens if 20 cars come out? I know progressive pot or half the pot sounds good, are you cool with it when 20 cars come out?

Also you know they are bringing their D1 Japanese drivers to compete and they are getting a full expense trip to compete. If I was D1, I would just let the Americans compete in the prize pot and one of my boys win the competition since they are bringing over the top 5 guys. If the Japanese D1 guys win, they can pretty much keep the money since they are paying all the expenses here.

I know this is D1's attempt to mask the fact they can't make a commitment on prize money. Why not just beat D1 on prize money instead of doing this half pot and half towards the series. If you are serious, man up and state the prize money! They can't make a commitment because they haven't secured enough sponsors and drivers!

Any vendors or drivers, please post up if you have made a commitment to D1. All the Peak Performance sponsors are not demanding or even expecting us to run D1.

I have some other info, but I am going to bomb on D1 Japan! But i don't want to do it on this post!

Eddie

Comment

Originally posted by PeakPerformance View Post

All the Peak Performance sponsors are not demanding or even expecting us to run D1.

Eddie
                      Shouldn't it be you offering to your sponsors to run D1 as a additional opportunity?? Are you saying that running D1 is not a good opportunity for your Sponsors?? D1 has bigger name in the world than any other drifting organization, so why would it not be great for the sponsors? Or you just dont want to offer them additional exposure? I'm little confused of your message?

Comment

Originally posted by PeakPerformance View Post
                        Give me a break, I can't believe you guys are comparing this as ideal scenario with 100 entrants. Do they even have 100 entrants per event, I can't imagine 100 cars showing up to each event? Why doesn't someone do some calculations with some more realistic numbers. So what happens if 20 cars come out? I know progressive pot or half the pot sounds good, are you cool with it when 20 cars come out?
                        Did you read through the past posts? That's EXACTLY what we've been talking about. They're basing their prize money off of 100 applicants, and we all know that number will never be reached. Even if you read Jim's or Ryans post (sorry, not sure which one of you is running that user) they state very close to what you said.

No one ever claimed that's what the pot would be, it's all hypothetical being as the chances on them getting 100 applicants are slim.

Comment

Originally posted by fast-finn View Post
                          Shouldn't it be you offering to your sponsors to run D1 as a additional opportunity?? Are you saying that running D1 is not a good opportunity for your Sponsors?? D1 has bigger name in the world than any other drifting organization, so why would it not be great for the sponsors? Or you just dont want to offer them additional exposure? I'm little confused of your message?
                          You make it seem like we wouldn't want to run D1. Of course if the sponsors paid more and said here is some money, run D1, we would definitely run it. The big problem, not sure if you have a team or have try to get sponsored. When there are 2 series, the sponsors do not have unlimited money. All teams probably are offering to run D1, but if the sponsor says, we have only X amount of money, where do you think they are going to spend it? D1 runs a good race, and a great show for the spectators. But their lack of media coverage and hard nose Japanese rules makes them less desireable compared to FD. I think most American sponsors have to choose 1 series, most likely they are going to choose FD because of their positive growth the past couple of years. Jumping in and out, dropping locations, and inconsistency has really hurt D1 in my opinion. Aslo having D1 Video as the main media outlet is great for Japan but that is a hard sell to American sponsors.

I guess you are confused because you have to see it on the side of racers and sponsors. Of course we want to run D1,what racing team doesn't like to race? Please let me know what American sponsor wants to support the series. Find me a sponsor, I will be there, the prize money alone is not good enough? If you know of anyone that is supporting the series, please let me know. We will race for cheap!

Comment

so, my mazda with an LS1 chevy motor cant compete?

out of the rule book:

"Engine
                            Engine upgrades, modifications and OEM engine swaps permitted. Catch tanks must be
                            installed and securely fastened. Radiator catch tanks must have a minimum capacity of 1 qt.
                            each. Oil catch tanks may also be installed on engine oil breathers where practical.
                            Engine
                            painting is allowed, provided that it is applied to external parts only.
                            "

and i guess i cant paint the inside of my engine...

why are these in the rules? why dont they allow non oem engine swaps?

Comment

The way I read that part of the rule book you would be okay. The engine is an OEM engine.

If it said something to the fact of engine swaps are legal as long as the engine being used is of the same manufacturer of the vehicle.

Than no you would be illegal, but it doesnt say that it just says OEM what they are trying to say is you cant take a sprint car motor and put it into your mazda.

Comment

as to your ls1 rx7 swap, you should be safe, there are japanese drivers with brand swap engines, and i'm planning on running the d1 events, and i have an ls1 s13. they know about it and are fine with it. i plan on running the series because nopi is gone, and it sounds like a ton of fun. the payouts don't even really matter to me since i figure the d1 first string guys are just going to beat us down, where as in nopi i could make a fast run for it in tandem. i'm lucky as a privateer that i don't really rely on my sponsors for much, and i can just go to what i want most of the time. i go to these types of events so i can tandem with guys like wilkerson, wang, kenji, etc. i would go out to these d1 events just to get a chance to dice it up with the d1 guys, and i'm sure there is an army of americans that think like me. we made up nopi last year lol, RIP. with the lax licensing of AM guys, i think they will have a greater turnout than nopi, probably around 40-50 per event on the high side.

Comment

Working...
                                X