• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHAUN CARLSON (NuFormz Racing Owner) on the Mend after Health Scare

NuFormz Racing Owner
    Shaun Carlson on the
    Mend after Health Scare

Shaun Carlson, owner of Team Mopar® Formula Drift star Samuel Hubinette’s Mopar Drift Dodge Challenger, is recuperating nicely at home after suffering a series of three heart attacks over the last month. The attacks have been diagnosed as Brugada Syndrome, a genetic disease characterized by an abnormality in the heart’s electrical system that can cause potentially fatal arrhythmias.

Carlson, owner and team manager of NuFormz Racing in Ontario, Calif., and a former Team Mopar NHRA Pro Stock driver for Don Schumacher Racing, had just returned home after working at his shop on Feb. 1 when he suffered a ventricular tachycardia episode. He was shocked back to life two times during his ordeal. Following a battery of tests, Carlson received an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD) to monitor his heart rhythms and deliver shocks if dangerous rhythms occur.

Carlson was discharged from the hospital nearly two weeks ago. He has since paid a few visits to his NuFormz Racing shop, but has been placed on restricted duty, which means absolutely no work or stress. On his ICD device, Carlson joked, "It’s in a cool titanium case. I now have a Social Security number and a serial number! It’s like my own 24-hour paramedic. I don’t have a problem with the plumbing side of my heart, but with the electrical side. Everything inside me is fine, but I inherited a gene that leads to this disease.

"I still have some championships to win with Sam and with Mopar. There’s a reason why I’ve survived three heart attacks. Going forward, I plan to work to bring awareness to everybody out there about Brugada. It’s been a life-changing experience and I’m going to make the best out of it. It’s good to be smellin’ the roses right now."

Hubinette and the Mopar NuFormz team will make their 2009 debut April 10–11 in the Formula Drift season-opening event on the Streets of Long Beach, Calif. For more information on the Formula Drift Series, visit http://www.formuladrift.com.

Talk about an amazing guy. Best wishes man!

Comment

glad to hear he's doing alright..

take it easy Shaun, see u in long beach!

Comment

Man, talk about a tough guy, I'm glad he pulled through.

Comment

Wow, thats some crazy news to hear. Get better Shaun and see you soon!
          BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

hope that the worse is over,

take care Shaun

Comment

Dang! I am glad to hear that your doing better Shaun. Wish you the best in 2009 and beyond. Take care of yourself because your a great guy and a cool friend. Drifting would not be the same without you man!

Comment

Take care, Shaun! That Crazy Swede wouldn't know what to do without you!

Comment

Surviving three attacks? Dude thats crazy! Get well soon mohawk man!

The ironic thing is going through something like this is probably going to make him want to try harder than ever ..even though thats the exact opposite of what he should be doing right now according to his docs.

Look for the Nuformz/Mopar team to be extra motivated this year.

Comment

Working...
                  X