Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (FEEDBACK) FORMULA D Long Beach

Please post your feedback on this thread

i didnt like the new miss formula d. she reminds me of when the drift zone had that bobble head girl. yeah theyre trying their best but its better to give them the axe before the next show.

i thought it all went pretty well. maybe somebody couldve explained better that if car 1 spins/stalls in the first tandem, car 2 cant just do a clean run the next tandem and win. ie: forsberg vs verdier

other than that i wish i couldve chosen my seat when online ordering instead of only being able to get the best available at the time of purchase. couldve been better if the camera men always showed what some people cant see. like the second(?) camera couldve showed the first tire wall better.

Comment

Awesome drifting and event today. The Top 32 format definitely increased the excitement.

The new judge Tony Angelo loves the "ONE MORE TIME".....I think it's great he wants to leave no doubt on who wins.

What happened to Ernie Fixmer? I think the cat got his tongue during that interview. He is still my favorite judge.

Comment

I think Andy Yen has a "one more time" button that he just holds the whole event...

overall, it was a great event, it just seems like the OMT's got a bit rediculous from top 8 on.

Any reason why there weren't bleachers on the inside of turn 10? over by the Jtuned auto gallery? seems like there was really no reason to walk over the bridge to check it out since you couldn't stay over there to watch the action...

Comment

What was that over there off of turn 10? Was that supposed to be a car show? There were only about 20-30 cars over there. I thought it was pretty *Censored**Censored**Censored* that they started tearing down and removing all the banners on that side way before the event ended, probably around 4:30.

That space could have been used for something more useful. They should have just had bikini clad women having a water ballon fight or something much more entertaining on that side.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
            I think Andy Yen has a "one more time" button that he just holds the whole event...

overall, it was a great event, it just seems like the OMT's got a bit rediculous from top 8 on.

Any reason why there weren't bleachers on the inside of turn 10? over by the Jtuned auto gallery? seems like there was really no reason to walk over the bridge to check it out since you couldn't stay over there to watch the action...
            Why am I awake to answer this with 3+days at the track & a 3 week old baby, I don't know. Maybe it is just for you Jacob =)

What they called Grandstand 21 was removed due to more space need for the ALMS paddock during this weekend's LBGP but Grandstand 18, the one in front of the judging stand almost doubled in size for the anticipated larger crowds for LBGP. We are at their "mercy", we just "borrow" the track from the great folks at the LBGP.

And OldSkool510... we are trying to add more content over on that side like a car show, but vendors don't want to be over there so yes we have to be more creative with what goes there now that there is more space. Maybe if the economy picks up and we get a few more sponsors for 2010 we'll just go build more seats for our weekend and take it down before the start of LBGP.

Ok back to sleep...

Comment

Sounds like the same story as the previous 2 years. Unfortunately from a spectator's standpoint, unless you purchase premium seating you can't see SQUAT!!! It would be a better use of space to use the area immediately over the bridge for more grandstands to view turn one and two instead of a "car show" that people really aren't interested in. You may be "at the mercy of LBGP" but you should also feel "at the mercy" of your attendees because they will ultimately decide your fate with their spending power. Make it better for them and they will make it better for you. And add more porta-potties so that the kids and girls don't have to leave because there is no more toilet paper!

Comment

It's ok, Jim. I was awake far too early too. I blame our irish houseguests! they're still on Irish time.

I figured the grandstand situation was at the mercy of LBGP. Let's convince the people at X-games to put a huge half pipe ramp up!

Comment

Spirit of drifting or the spirit of judging?

Chris vs stephan

I still dont understand why he lost, just because he scrubbed speed on the last turn after killing the first two??

Wouldnt the fact he ran the same line on the chase run and still stayed on his bumper kind of prove that was the fastest more consistent line of the two.

I did like the fact that the emphasis wasnt so much on entry speed that was great.

Great event, better then last year. Even though the state of the economy was eveident (not a whole lot of sponsor activity)

pardon the grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                    Spirit of drifting or the spirit of judging?

Chris vs stephan

I still dont understand why he lost, just because he scrubbed speed on the last turn after killing the first two??

Wouldnt the fact he ran the same line on the chase run and still stayed on his bumper kind of prove that was the fastest more consistent line of the two.
                    I was right there at the hairpin but I couldn't quite see because of the smoke but according to the judges it seems like Chris almost came to a full stop at the hairpin which forced Stephan to choke up.

It didn't look like that to me but again my vision was impaired cause of all the smoke.

I didn't see the Stephan vs Rhys battle though so I have no idea how he managed to take Millen out.

Oh and the OMTs were murder!

I used to think that a OMT was only if a run was too close to call...not because someone spun and they want to give that person another shot.

It would have been nice to have some kind of explaination of that.

It seemed like the media areas got a bit crowded too...this didn't effect me personally but there were some that had problems trying to find spots to shoot and film.

I dont know if there is really a remedy for that one but I know more than a few of the usual media guys had issues with it.

Going Top 32 and having tandem battles all day is the best idea ever. Seeing privateers like Tony B. and that Jim Jones guy make it so far was awesome and really brought back that "spirit" that everyone kept mentioning.

The new line they picked out and getting rid of that inside clipping point was a great idea too.

J-Rod was a lot better on the Mic on Saturday ..bummer that he was losing his voice but it shows that he was really getting into it.

Although you might want to lay off on the Irish jokes man. I'm black and even I was getting a little offended. If you threw out stereotypes like that with any other nationality/race you'd probably get into serious trouble!

Overall it was another great Long Beach event. If things work out I'm going be at Infineon.
                    Last edited by MonkeySlide; 04-12-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Well, I'm not speaking for anyone in particular, but I think I understand why they would do the OMT when the guy on the first run spun.

Generally when the one the first run and a following car botched it, on the second run, the guy would slack off and take it easy.

I don't know if I 100% agree with it, but I do understand that slacking off is about as bad as a spin, 'cause they aren't taking any risks to get an easy win. Doing it like this is a good way to force the drivers to want to drive 100% in all runs, even if there's a major mistake by the other driver in the first one.

All in all, this was probably the best long beach event so far. Some increadible driving and serious fun.

I do have two things I did want to bring up however. The candy, lemonade andicecream salesmen were getting kinda outta hand. The guys would litterally stand in front of the stands on the stairs with their hands up trying to pan their goods. I know they're trying to sell their product, but I ended up not wanting to buy anything because they were bloking my view of the track for a large portion of the race. At one point they were standing three abreast making it 100% impossible for a whole bunch of us to even see the first half of the track.

The other is on the speakers. I don't know if they are as sloud as they are so the top can hear them super well or not, but I do have one request if you're gonna have them that loud. Can you turn down the treble a bit? There were a few pitches, both when people were talking and when the music was playing that just killed my ears, knocking off the highs a bit would fix that without having to loose the volume.

I know it's easier to talk about the negetive other than the positive though. The event was Super exciting, and I gotta say, I do really like the new judging format, for both solo and tandom runs. Props to Tony Angelo too, I respect him for giving his opinions and letting us know why he voted the way he did, same goes to Andy. If you remember when Andy got major boo'd, after he gave his reasoning the booing basically turned into applause, probably because we can respect the input and reasoning.

Comment

I actually enjoyed the "one more time" alot. It forced the drivers to really showcase their skills and consistency. I think J-Rod and the crowd reaction influences the judges too much.

It seems as if most of the fans don't really care about who wins, as long as the drifting is good, which was awesome yesterday. Most fans headed straight home rather than watch the trophy presentation.

I thought the sound was great and I was sitting at the top row of Grandstand 18. I enjoyed feeling the bass rumbling the grandstand. It all matters where you're sitting I guess, with regards to the treble. Sound dissipates the further it travels so it might have been too much for the fortunate people sitting on bottom, but was perfect for us in the nosebleed section. lol I was sitting so high, the lemonade guy wouldn't even come up there. He told me to come down to him. lol

Awesome event. Can't wait for Irwindale...

Comment

It sucked for the people that bought the general spectator tickets they didn't have a screen to watch the replays and didn't get their money worth.

Comment

It sucked for the people that bought the general spectator tickets they didn't have a screen to watch the replays and didn't get their money worth.
                            There was expanded reserved seating for just that reason. The reserved seating price pre-event is basically the same as GA come the day of. Get your reserved next year and you solve that issue completely.

Comment

Working...
                            X