No announcement yet.

(D1GP UPDATES) Prize Money, Parties, New Judge,Track Revision + More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money talks and exposure for sponsors is what it's all about, especially in this economy. I was talking about the heavily sponsored guys, too, like Foust, Forsberg, Millen, Gittin, Hubinette, Dai, etc. I don't think sponsors would care too much about the loyalty thing and what's hanging over their drivers head.

Wishful thinking, I guess.
    Last edited by OldSkool510; 04-21-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

I can't tell if we're on the same page or not.

At any rate, of course exposure is good for sponsors.

I am pretty sure drifting is a huge LOSS as a whole, but hey, some folks can make a buck here and there.

Comment

I'm just trying to say that having some top FD drivers in this event would be super uber cool. Most top FD guys are local to Anaheim anyways, so it would be very fitting for them to compete in this event.

I also know all about the animosity between D1 and FD. It is safe to assume that if the top FD drivers were approached by D1, they would feel reluctant to compete because of their loyalty to FD. FD management would also feel "slapped in the face" if their drivers competed against their competitor.

I remember reading in post by FD somewhere that they don't prohibit their drivers from competing in D1, the way D1 prohibits their drivers competing in FD.

That's where the loyalty and unwritten laws begin.

All I am saying is that as a sponsor, I would want my driver to participate in as many events as possible. Especially to the scale of D1's upcoming event.

As a driver, I would be loyal to the guys that pay my bills, which are the sponsors. I am sure other drivers would respect the fact that my sponsor wanted me to compete in an event. I would only worry about what FD would be hanging over my head.

Scenario:

FD: Hey Tanner. Why did you run in D1?

Tanner: Rockstar told me to or they would cut me off.

FD: But you're our "golden child" and our poster boy. How could you do that to us?

Tanner: Rockstar told me to or they would cut me off.

That's the page I'm on. I would be more concerned of what my sponsors would have to say rather than "what's hanging over my head at the next round."
        Last edited by OldSkool510; 04-21-2009, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Mmm, I "feel ya".

Comment

im pretty sure you'll see some top fd guys. i mean its not like there hasnt been a time when there was both d1 and fd in the same year. i think the only thing that will come into play are the teams budgets.

Comment

The fans are the winners in all of this. To see FD and D1 drivers in the same event would be sweet. As for team budgets, there would be no travel budget required for some of FD's top dogs, since most make their homes here in SoCal.

I'm not trying to cause any waves here. I was just hoping that D1 would be announcing that some top FD drivers would be competing in this event. I thought that's what all that respect and kindness towards FD was all about in many of D1's post last week.
              Last edited by OldSkool510; 04-21-2009, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Back in the good ol days, D1 would throw even before long beach...while all the drivers were still in so cal.... so much easier... good to get some testing done on a base course(irwindale) before the FD season.

Even when D1 went to english town...most of the FD guys (falken) were still on the east coast anyway....but then the threw in the monkey wrench with the vegas event that was on the same day as FD seattle. Me personally I didn't show up to that event that being one of the reasons.

I remember talking to stephan at nopi before him and tanner were with rockstar... he told me that aem wanted him in that event and that was the reason he was there. I'm pretty sure you will see some quality privateers at this event seeing its so close to home and all... but for the rest of the season...hmm

What I think is funny is that D1USA took time out to ship over 3 finnish drivers to the US and guarantee them transport to all D1USA rounds. Drivers which in my opinion are probably aren't on the same level as our US drivers let alone the Japanese drivers.

I can easily skeet off 4 unrestricted privateers who have the credentials to hang with the japanese and provide a bit more credibility to obtain sponsors for them selves and D1GP

Comment

It's logistically possible to do D1 in Anaheim AND make it out to Atlanta for FD. I'll be in Anaheim with my flatbed, Emergency Hookers, for all of D1, and start trucking out to Atlanta with my toterhome rig on Sunday. I'll be at the Atlanta Motor Speedway by Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

FD Drivers probably won't participate in the upcoming D1 because it's "too close" to the next FD event...meaning that if ANYTHING were to happen to their main competition car, it would definately implicate their schedule for Atlanta. So, the wise thing to do here is to maybe display at D1, but not compete. I can see an FD driver competing if and ONLY if they have a spare car to use.

Comment

I wish D1 good luck and a good event.. but I only have one problem with everything stated here.....
                    [quote]Chiaki Goto – Goto’s racing career includes championship wins in the N1 Endurance Race in Japan for three consecutive years, from 1995 to 1998. He also served as the director and mechanic of the JIC Magic drifting team in 2003. From 2004 to 2007, Goto served as Race Operations Director for D1GP USA.[/qoute]

This guy was not the race operations director for D1 all that time. His first action was in 2005 when he served as the translator for Drift Buffet and eventually went behind DB's back to create to much drama and actually back stabbed the people that brought him into D1's fold in the first place. And he was never the Director for JIC's drift team. He was simply the mechanic and he got fired. and knowing him as much as I do ... I would like to see some proof of his "championship years" LOL

Comment

and the hype train continues

Comment

I think the problem most of you are overlooking is I don't think any sponsors of Formula D drivers are pushing them to run in D1GP USA. I have heard no companies involved in Formula D wanting their drivers or pushing them to run in the new series.

Running at D1GP USA in your competition car runs a great risk of missing Formula D Atlanta for many teams/drivers and I don't think that is something anyone is interested in.

You need to take into fact that people at the companies in marketing are just employee's and at the end of the year they need to report their marketing success to retain the job they covet (and let's be serious, no one wants to lose a job in this economy). If someone pulls a trigger and says "Our driver has to do D1" that is a big risk. Company "A" let's call them is committing a driver to a series that has an unknown outcome. Nobody really knows how it is going to play out + let's say his driver crashes leaving him no time to fix his car before Atlanta.

While you as fans and us as the media go "well that is racing" these marketing firms/sponsors will have to explain to their upper management why the exposure they paid for was minimized on their call and that is a dangerous move.

Just food for thought.

Comment

Very valid points. It's just pure greed on the fans part, especially me, to want to see the best drifters in the world drift against eachother. Personally, I don't think many fans really follow any of the series and care about who wins the title. I have maybe 5 or 6 favorite drivers that I root for in the FD series. It's all about the drifting for me.

You're absolutely right about the drivers and sponsors obligation to compete and complete a series. Why dump all this sponsorship money into a FD driver and FD series, and then turn around and demolish a car in a D1 event. Not good. I could care less if they wrecked their car and could not compete in FD the following week. Pure greed at it again.

The only point I don't agree with is the "minimizing of the exposure" you mentioned. Sponsors would have the same amount if not more by competing in the upcoming D1 event. With all the hype and hoopla surrounding this event, the attendance and exposure should be huge. Negative publicity garners more exposure than positive publicity most of the time.

As I stated in a previous post on this thread, it was just wishful thinking to have FD guys drive in this event.
                          Last edited by OldSkool510; 04-23-2009, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Here is another angle to look at it from (because you mentioned GREED.

So, you are a fan of drifting. D1 is coming to your town and you want to see all the best drifters out there.

The weekend arrives, and all the "other" drivers can't show up because their sponsors won't "allow" it.

Maybe they could crash the car in that D1 event and not be able to complete the "other" series.

Well..... Shouldn't the sponsors pay that team enough money to be able to take that "risk"?

You the fan (and possible customer in the end) won't get to see that Driver X and you won't get to see his car which has those sponsor stickers.

Possible loss of sales.

GREED by the sponsors.

It is NOT greed by you, the fan.

*Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* that.

Comment

LOL @ greed of fans

Those two words can never be put in the same sentence when it comes to motorsports.

Economy or not, we are the ones supporting the sponsors.

Comment

I was talking about EMOTIONAL GREED guys. You guys took my word "Greed" and ran off with it. lol

It's true we are the ones to support the sponsor, but sponsors in return support the motorsport of drifting. It's a symbiotic relationship we have. If anything, the huge sponsors like Falken Tires, Cooper Tires, Discount Tires, Snap-On, etc. give the motorsport of drifting major credibility within the realm of motorpsorts.

Drifting as a credible motorsport wouldn't exist if the sponsors were Bob's Mechanic Shop, John's Mobile Detail Service, Lupe's Taco stand, etc....

Drifting would be seen as a major joke without big name sponsors. Like with all businesses, sponsors are out to maximize profits the same way FD and D1 is.

As a business, you try to do the most with what you have without de-valueing your product or services.

Just like Jim@FD admitted in the FD Long Beach feedback thread, he acknowledged the lack of sponsors for this season due to the economy. Regardless, the Long Beach was still a great event.

Comment

Working...
                                X