JCTC: Why are these cars in GT300?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCTC: Why are these cars in GT300?

Got a chance to finally see some JCTC races after waiting a year for Speed Channel to pick it up. I don't know much about JCTC but I'm an avid race fan and I had some very unusual observations.

1. Why are the Viper and Mosler in GT300? The Viper is losing over 200hp and the Mosler 100 due to the restriction on their stock engines. Why aren't they in GT500? It just seems really odd that these guys are losing so much power and not switching to a lighter powerplant.
    2. The Silvia has an SR20 turbo. It may be for torque but wouldn't it be better to have a N/A SR20 in there so they could lose the weight of the turbo and intercooler?
    3. I noticed that the GT500 Skylines had 3.5L blown V6's. Did they ditch the RB because the Vq is a lighter/better motor or did they do it to test an engine for a GT500 350Z?

JGTC

Comment

alot of cars in JGTC dont make sense.

look at the wedsport new age celica, rear wheel drive, 3sgte race motor

Comment

The only sense they make is that they meet the regulations and are the lightest/fastest combanations possible.

Comment

I don't think the JGTC rules would require current production motors because the SR20 is discontinued, but then again the Supras have IForce V8's and the Nissans have blown VQ's. Maybe the Viper is running down in GT300 to avoid the costly R&D of the GT500 factory teams. Anybody got any clues to this mystery?

Comment

The Viper is on the GT300 class because of the driver. The driver for the Viper is under the GT300 class. So they have to make a platform (the viper) under the GT300 Specs.

They use the All aluminum V engines because they're light and can produce more torque with the extra 2 cylinder without pushing more PSI vs. an inline 6 with higher PSI settings. With this decision the car can last longer in the track without blowing anything.

Correct me if im wrong.

oh yeah, its JGTC (All-Japan Grand Touring Car Championship)

Thanks.

Comment

Viper in the GT300 because of the driver? What does that mean? It is in the GT300 because it only makes 300hp, how it does that or why i dont know, but I dont think its because of the driver.

I dont understand at all what the second thing you said was.....

Yeah, the supras are cool, running V8 now because they dont have to wait for the turbo to catch up, absolutely no lag through and out of the corners.

Comment

Originally posted by MrodDrft
                The only sense they make is that they meet the regulations and are the lightest/fastest combanations possible.
                Does not explain the viper

Comment

Yeah I agree. Why is a 500+ hp car running in a class restricted to 300hp? I wouldn't think the engine would run very well. Now the explanation of the VQ over the RB makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by raging panda
                    Viper in the GT300 because of the driver? What does that mean? It is in the GT300 because it only makes 300hp, how it does that or why i dont know, but I dont think its because of the driver.

I dont understand at all what the second thing you said was.....

Yeah, the supras are cool, running V8 now because they dont have to wait for the turbo to catch up, absolutely no lag through and out of the corners.
                    It's not because the driver can only drive 300hp. It's because he's registered under the 300 CLASS category.

Here's a LINK.
                    http://www.jgtc.net/race/whats/whats_indx_en.htm
                    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                    Please read.

JGTC Drivers - Another Highlight
                    The longer race distances in the JGTC series create an endurance-type atmosphere, and the regulations require that two drivers take turns behind the wheel of a car. Drivers competing in the JGTC come from a variety of racing backgrounds. The lineup includes ex-Formula One regulars, international racing veterans, well-known Japanese drivers that have won domestic championships, several All-Japan Formula Series champions and an ex-Gymkhana champion. But they're not all world-class professionals either. A number of amateur drivers compete each year as well, especially in the GT300 category.

Motorsports is a field that allows equality in competition regardless of sex, age and career. The JGTC is exactly such a series to prove this statement. For the 2004 season, more than 10 drivers will journey to Japan to compete in the JGTC, indicating that the series is gaining the attention of race organizations and fans in countries around the globe.
                    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

JGTC allow amateurs and in different backgrounds to race.
                    SOOOOOO,
                    Like I SAID... the driver is registered under the 300 class. Which the car needs to be restricted to just 300HP. Because that's the car they gave him and that's the rules.

Is that hard to understand?

Thank you.
                    Last edited by CRASHDRIVE; 03-02-2004, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I'm just getting into the whole JGTC thing and I was wondering if anyone knows about the event in Cali like if it is a go and when it will be. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by silvia_s13
                        I'm just getting into the whole JGTC thing and I was wondering if anyone knows about the event in Cali like if it is a go and when it will be. Thanks.
                        It's not official yet, If they will be holding a JGTC round here in the Cali. This has been going on for a while now. But nothing seems to happen. But as soon as they release it to the press, Im am there!

Comment

>did they do it to test an engine for a GT500 350Z?
                          yes. they are switching to Z for the new season.
                          and they needed to test/develop.

>Maybe the Viper is running down in GT300 to avoid the costly R&D of the GT500 factory teams
                          don't know much about JGTC, but this should be right too.
                          they are very different from the road car.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsunami
                            Got a chance to finally see some JCTC races after waiting a year for Speed Channel to pick it up. I don't know much about JCTC but I'm an avid race fan and I had some very unusual observations.

1. Why are the Viper and Mosler in GT300? The Viper is losing over 200hp and the Mosler 100 due to the restriction on their stock engines. Why aren't they in GT500? It just seems really odd that these guys are losing so much power and not switching to a lighter powerplant.
                            2. The Silvia has an SR20 turbo. It may be for torque but wouldn't it be better to have a N/A SR20 in there so they could lose the weight of the turbo and intercooler?
                            3. I noticed that the GT500 Skylines had 3.5L blown V6's. Did they ditch the RB because the Vq is a lighter/better motor or did they do it to test an engine for a GT500 350Z?
                            1. the viper and mosler aren't losing that much power, in order to run in the gt300 class with a car that powerful, they'd have to run air restrictor plates to kill some of they're power; but even that only takes the viper and mosler down to about 450whp, so they saddle them up with heavy weight penalties. i'm still not sure about the exact rules on entering the gt500 class, but from what i've read, it's all works cars (factory sponsored) and the bigger more expensive teams. the mosler, viper and corvette could run if they wanted to, but it'd be more expensive with all the r&d etc., and because they use such high displacement motors, they'd still have to deal with air restrictors and weight penalties. the jgtc rules are there to keep everything equal

2. a 300whp N/A sr20 (the jgtc cars run sr22s - 2.2 liters) wouldn't be the best choice, 300whp in a N/A 4 cylinder is a hard goal to achieve, it'd be even harder to make the motor last running for 2 to 3 hours continuously at a time. you would go through quite a few motors in one season. you would also have problems with cooling, the motor would run pretty ruff any time it got down on rpm (to pull 300whp from a N/A 4 cylinder is going to require you to rev as high as 11,000rpm or more - puts A LOT of stress on the motor) and the motor would have to run such high compression (to pull 300 we're looking at in excess of 12:1, maybe even as high as 15:1) that in general, it'd just be an unreliable pain in the arse.

if you look at a lot of cars in the scca world challenge, the N/A 4 cylinders might have as much as 250whp, but the teams go through 3 or 4 motors a season, and their events only last an hour. imagine how many engines you'd go through running them for 2.5 hours. you'd be replacing a motor every other race at least.

it's just better to go with a turbo, you don't have to rev so high, there are various ways to keep your intake temps low, it doesn't put as much stress on them, they're easier to tune, they last longer, they don't idle so ruff and they're in general easier to work with.

3. nissan itself has a rule that it always runs it's current production model engine. because the r34 went out of production and the rb26 went with it, they started using the vq35dett because it was in the current model skyline, the gt350 chassis. toyota on the other hands uses the run-whatcha-brung stategy, they'll put any motor in the supra that they choose. jgtc rules only say that a motor can only produce x amount of horsepower (under penalty of weight and air restictors) and it must be from the same manufacturer as the chassis.

hope that helped.
                            Last edited by kaneda; 03-15-2004, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Yeah I see your point about the SR. As far as durability I was pretty much figuring that wasn't an issue. Maybe it is in the 300 class due to the smaller teams. But as far as the Viper goes it looks like it is moving up to GT500 according to what has been said here.

Comment

Working...
                              X