• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhys Millen (IGN Interview)

IGN Interview: Rhys Millen
    The Definitive American Drifter?

http://cars.ign.com/articles/496/496166p1.html

Excellent article. Interesting to see what Rhys thinks about drifting and how it might evolve in the US. Cant wait to see him in Formula D.

Comment

Congratulations to Rhys, he did a great job drifting Jasper Performance's Supra at the first D1, getting in the top 16, and also placing 1st in the Drift Showoff! We only wish him the best of luck with his GTO. He did awesome this year!

Comment

his vision of future U.S. drifting is kind of..... dumb. of course domestics are gonna get involved, i think that would be pretty cool... but the whole thing about drifting trucks jumping ramps and going into drifts is a bit ridiculous. i think the drift truck is cool and very concievable. i don't think the ramp idea is too great. seems like some monster truck stuff. i can't see a truck jumpin a ramp and drifting at high speed or vice versa. i jus picture a truck goin high speed off the ramp and then the damn things rolls over into the crowd LoL

Comment

Hahaha that would be crazy. I share the same views as you. I dont really like the idea of those types of stunts being tied in with drifting. But in all honesty, I think there is a good chance this is where drifting is going to go. In the later part of 2003, there was an event in Japan called XXX. It was a combination of drifting, autocross, and BMX stunts. I'm sure alot of you have seen the vids (all those dirtbikes jumping over the cars while they were drifting). I didnt really dig the idea since I'm not into bikes, but if thats where its going in Japan, thats probably where its going to go in America. Especially when all the American event coordinators try to add some 'american style' to the events. Drifting is the extreme version of roadracing, so they will probably tie it in with other Extreme types of sports. I wouldnt be supprised if you see drifting in the X-Games within the next few years.

Comment

wasnt the owner of ebisu talking to ESPN bout that?

anyway jumps and trucks in drifting=bad

Comment

I haven't seen him in action but you guys bring him up alot so I'm thinking he's like the American Version of Keichi Tsuchiya

True or False?

Comment

false lol... but he is a hell of a driver. With tons of experience, from what i've seen i wouldnt say hes the best american though...

That said, my opinion is based heavily on what i saw at the d1, and some of the popular americans werent there, or there for long. And Rhys was driving his brand new car and wasnt up to speed yet... as we have discussed tons of times.

But dont get me wrong hes a hell of a driver with a long rally and stunt driving background.

Comment

The ramp idea and suv drifting thing was a little silly. I mean the last thing I wanna see is a bunch of CRV's running around shooting flames and jumping crap like they're in a Rob Cohen film.
                  What's next bikini models racing Toyota Prius's in front of a bunch of hippies?

On another note I was dissapointed when I found out how they basically re-engineered the whole car:redid the subframes, re-engineered the suspension, moved the steering rack,etc.
                  I won't hold that against them: I want the car to be competitive and I'm sure a lot of the D1 cars are just as much or more radically modified. I just would rather see modified street cars drive up, race, and drive home than get trailered in, run for 15 minutes and get trailered home again.

Comment

they drove the signal auto civic home... even though it wasnt drifting... but still they drove a company car on the street... but thats probably only because its street legal... which is probably why you didnt see the signal 180 or the veilside s-15 driving to the airport or docks or however they got them here.... because they arent street legal

Comment

im sorry i forgot where i was going with the above post

Comment

i jus have to give him some mad props...because i was at the d1 and it was a sick *Censored**Censored**Censored* event...(even though the fuking line of cars was pretty *Censored**Censored**Censored*)and the car he was driving was alright....he representing america and i apprecate him.....good job rhys...

Comment

Yeah and even more props because HE chose the GTO over all the other cars he could've used to drift. Now if we could only get his dad Rod to bring out the Pikes Peak Tacoma and play.

Comment

I dono if I had a trailer I'd trailer my Camaro to the track and back home O_o cops down here are anal. They'll pull you over for your mods and give you about $165+ in tickets just for your car mods.

Comment

Theres not a whole lot of difference between Rhys's idea and stadium trucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X