ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just curious - how many of you guys tune your car's suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious, how do you choose a kit or a set of parts? It doesn't seem as easy and say picking your own spring rates and compression/rebound dampening. Most everything's premade. Here you go and that's it. What do you choose? I have trouble finding what the stock setup is(for any car). If I knew that, at least I could go from there. Still, everything seems to be kits or a full set of something, not real adjustable unless you buy several sets and mix and match. I'm just speaking in general, not about any specific car.

Comment

I'm basically upgrading my suspension as components break. When I bought my S13 the tension rod bushings were already ripped and wasted. I used the opportunity to upgrade to Battle Version adjustable tension rods. (I am very happy with them, if you want to see pictures and an install guide click on my homepage button.)
      As soon as I had drifted some with the tension rods the ball joints went from old and iffy to totally destroyed. So now I am doing lower control arms with new ball joints and Whiteline poly bushings. While I have all that apart I am also replacing the worn tie rods and ends with TEIN inner rods, outer rods and endlinks. I'll report on those as soon as they installed.
      In general I like to use a Decison Analysis Matrix to decide between similar parts. You make Catagories and give each category an importance number. (say 1-10, 10 is most important) Then you list the parts to be considered and give them a rating in each category and then multiply the rating and importance number to get a score for the category. Add up the category scores to get a total score and this is the part you go with. This is a good technique to keep from biasing your own decision with unwanted input such as "this brand comes with cooler stickers". I have attached an example of this kind of matrix. Try it for your decisions and see what you think.
      Attached Files

Comment

most of my upgrades are done to the suspension. no real big upgrades to the engine as u can see from below. i think the stock ka is a pretty good engine and it has enough power to drift. now i want those whiteline adjustable sway bars. but i'm broke right now so it sux. i believe the most important upgrades are suspensoin mods.

Comment

Working...
        X