compressor surge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compressor surge?

Is the compressor surge the choof choof sound when some drivers release the throttle? does the HKS SSQV sound like that? i think it sounds cool...maybe ill go without a BOV...

Comment

that sound you hear on a tubo car is the blow off valve or dump valve...what it does is when the throttle closes there is no where for the compresed air to go, so it give it a vent...insted of building up and causing wear on the turbo and bad throttle responce..

the BOV is diffrent that the wast gate..which regulates the boost..

Comment

Compressor surge is not something you will hear from outside the car. Basically, compressor surge is when the pressurized air flows the wrong way back into the power adder slowing the impeller down. In an extreme situation this can cause damage to the compressor, but most of the time this will just increase power lag in the next gear since the impeller slows down. In any case, its a bad thing. The BOV is the solution to compressor surge, it will release the pressurized air instead of letting it flow the wrong way. This release of air is the choof choof you are hearing.

Comment

someone told me the choof choof was from the lack of a BOV or a non secured BOV...and i was confused...the only choof choof i hear are from high powered cars...the rest of the low powered cars w/ BOVs are like high pitched sounds or the ordinary psssst

Comment

just wondering...does anyone know the bov that makes the choof choof?

Comment

HKS SSQV

Comment

When do you hear this sound? (I'm lost now), At half or full throttle? The sound that tripped me out was when the Signal Cars are at full throttle and the sound of both motors banging revlimiter and the BOV's going off over and over. That might be a choof choof I guess? LOL

Comment

Crazt: that sound you herd might be the wast gate....

Comment

Must be,I'm pretty sure the twins don't have any BOV's on them.

Comment

pretend ur in the high rpm zone...and u let go of the throttle...some BOVS go PSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHT...others go PIYUUUU...and others are choof choof choof...you can hear it when ur in the car..how chas...how much for one of those ssqvs

Comment

yah

MY fc does it when i shift at high rpm

i have a blow off valve but it will blow off but you hear the turbo make a warble sound...or is it the sound that sounds like a sucking PSHHHHHHHHHHHH along with the acutal whine of the turbo

wow you need a sound clip

Comment

here is a soundclip of what im talking about: http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=134329

i got the question from reading it on LFS and finding a new dumpvalve sound for the turbo....scroll down or search for turbo.mp3

Comment

I recognize that BOV,that's the one he uses on his personal car.I'm sure there is an FD in D1 with one as well.

Comment

nob's s15 had that...chas said it was an HKS SSQV a while ago...but sometimes when i hear sound clips of the ssqv...i hear the high pitched sound...and it doesnt sound so great

Comment

Working...
                              X