ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Formula D Outlaws Fox Body Mustangs, Dan Pina??!!??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula D Outlaws Fox Body Mustangs, Dan Pina??!!??!

Quoted from the drift mustang forums.

Dan Pina-

I've decided ultimately, if I want to continue to compete in Formula Drift, I've got to build a new (S197) chassis. They just straight out do not want my car in the series- period.
    Geoffrey Chandler

It's sad to see the end of an era, but Formula D has made it clear that they do not want fox mustangs competing.
    So whats going on here... why cant fox bodies compete anymore?

This is kind of a big deal because this is a cheap affordable RWD car just totally being banned from the series it looks like. The ae86 shares the same type of suspension setup, can it still play ball?

any Offical word from Formula D ???????? and WHY ??? The firewall and suppension rules are gone by the way side ....
    Last edited by fast-datsun; 02-25-2010, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Hmm, Kind of strange that they would have such a bias against any specific chassis. Not a big mustang fan but I don't see why if someone wants to compete in a fox body mustang they cannot. There must be some kind of logic behind this..

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
        So whats going on here... why cant fox bodies compete anymore?

This is kind of a big deal because this is a cheap affordable RWD car just totally being banned from the series it looks like. The ae86 shares the same type of suspension setup, can it still play ball?
        SN95s (the "Terminator" Mustangs like Doug Van Den Brink's) also have nearly the same suspension but are legal. This and the fact that trucks are also frowned upon is very weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
          SN95s (the "Terminator" Mustangs like Doug Van Den Brink's) also have nearly the same suspension but are legal. This and the fact that trucks are also frowned upon is very weird.
          You mean new edge mustang.

Comment

That car is currently not listed as an eligible vehicle.

In this situation a competitor can contact Formula Drift directly to petition.

Comment

Info

are you going by this?

8 COMPETITION VEHICLES
              8.1 VEHICLE ELIGIBILITY
              8.1.1 Determination
              8.1.1.1 Only vehicles listed in Appendix K are eligible and must have a valid
              manufacturer VIN number or equivalent.
              8.1.1.2 Vehicles with VID numbers 129 and lower are automatically eligible
              to compete through December 31, 2010 and may exercise provisions
              of 8.3.8 of the 2009 FORMULA DRIFT Professional Drifting Rules
              and Regulations. Vehicles with VID numbers 130 and above must
              comply with the applicable and current eligibility requirements and
              cannot use the 8.3.8 exemption.
              Does the fox body not meet this?

Not being a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* or anything like that, just honestly intrigued...

I have zero knowledge about fox body VINs.

My whole conception is if its RWD from the factory its a go, and you just have to follow the guidelines within 8.3.4.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                Info

are you going by this?

Does the fox body not meet this?

Not being a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* or anything like that, just honestly intrigued...

I have zero knowledge about fox body VINs.

My whole conception is if its RWD from the factory its a go, and you just have to follow the guidelines within 8.3.4.

FD was contacted this morning for a fact-check.
                It does not meet "8.1.1.1"
                "Only vehicles listed in Appendix K are eligible"
                "Competitors may petition FORMULA DRIFT to add new vehicles to Appendix K."

Again, in this situation a competitor can contact Formula Drift directly to petition.

Comment

The Fox Mustang is NOT listed in appendix K and petitions have been rejected.

Comment

Is it possible to post copies of the rejected request?????????????

Comment

Originally posted by fast_datsun View Post
                      Is it possible to post copies of the rejected request?????????????
                      1. This is not a new issue: http://www.drift50.com/blog/geoffrey...o-fox-mustangs

2. You are NOT going to get copies of the request. If you have a Fox Mustang and want to use it in Formula D, contact them directly, this website is not going to help you get it done.

3. A newer car is more appealing to sponsors and at the end of the day, a lighter, less expensive platform is not a good fit with a series that is trying to build legitimacy after losing a number of large sponsors over the past 24 months.

Comment

Originally posted by GBC View Post
                        3. A newer car is more appealing to sponsors and at the end of the day, a lighter, less expensive platform is not a good fit with a series that is trying to build legitimacy after losing a number of large sponsors over the past 24 months.
                        I really don't think this is an issue with the Fox-body getting passed by FD. It could be a stereotype issue, IMO (read: fear of us Rednecks). If age was really an issue, why are S13s, FCs, and AE86s still compliant (unless this is a "once and forever" rule). I think the fact the SN95 and SN195 chassis are allowed, but the Fox which is a car that uses basically similar chassis, fits a multitude of engines (even the RB25DET), and can be improved and built within a budget to the point that it is competitive against cars three to five times more expensive to build.

I think FD needs to allow the Fox in, it did let the tC in, twice.

Comment

This thread is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by GBC View Post
                            1. This is not a new issue: http://www.drift50.com/blog/geoffrey...o-fox-mustangs

2. You are NOT going to get copies of the request. If you have a Fox Mustang and want to use it in Formula D, contact them directly, this website is not going to help you get it done.

Just what to know the listed reason they were not allowed. If FD dosen't want them in there must be a good reason to not allow them, but, if not everyone will make up one...The FOX body is one of the most popular cars in the US. More people Drag, road race, fix up for the street them than any other car. Just check out the mid-west and East coast of the USA....
                            Last edited by fast-datsun; 02-26-2010, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fast-datsun View Post
                              Just what to know the listed reason they were not allowed. If FD dosen't want them in there must be a good reason to not allow them, but, if not everyone will make up one...The FOX body is one of the most popular cars in the US. More people Drag, road race, fix up for the street them than any other car. Just check out the mid-west and East coast of the USA....
                              I did not say it's the best strategy for growing the sport, as drifting at the professional level has not been growing in the US. It's just the one being followed. Buy a Mustang and hit your local events. You will love it. Don't worry about. What a pro series rulebook says.
                              Last edited by GBC; 02-27-2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X