No announcement yet.

FORMULA DRIFT And Its Future, My View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure anyone in the top 20 of the pro drift drivers in the world could win any event at any given time if everything works out that day. But without having some sort of crazy impossible event to test everyone head to head on their best run, possibly needing actual GPS style data stream, or whatever.

I think we can agree that some of our top guys could go over to JP and compete and get into Top4s and Final Rounds. Just like they can come here and do the same. Its really hard to say anyone is better than other, but possibly equality, yes.

Comment

^ I totally agree

Comment

I think maybe a couple guys from FD's top 10 could hang and maybe podium if they shipped out their machines depending if the technology translates. But its still pretty proven that a so so D1 driver can compete and win here (okubo,takatori,Yamanaka,etc) while the only examples we have are Sam H, Mordaunt, and Wang and none of them won a tandem battle and all but Sam struggled to qualify. But to this point I see it as 2 different sports and while I think D1 still beats us on overall talent we beat them on technology and business practices lol.

Comment

Yes, JP has had drivers with success in the US events.

But the comparison is kinda unfair. They threw all of our guys in unknown cars, with RHD too. Put me in a RHD and I prolly won't be able to even drag race it. I think with their actual cars, they woulda had a better shot for sure.

Nothing replaces seat time and except for Sam, I don't think Forrest or Pat can even compare how much those JP guys you named have had. And I don't think that Forrest or Pat qualify as 'America's best', very good yes, but not in top10. Foust, Millen, JTP, Gitten (who has won d1vusa 2 times right?), Powers (insanely impressive this year), Forseberg... lets see some of them go, in their proper FD car and try.

Comment

I think that Forrest is one of the best dudes in the states, hes definintly one of the best americans at the D1 style. He must have pissed someone off in the industry because he cant seem to find a stable ride or some proper funding for FD (Drift Avengers?). Those V8 G35s weren't even consistent top 32 material before he got in one, drove it to a couple top 16s. I think Matt Powers is alright, I dont think he's anymore skilled then a driver like wang or anyone who came out that 07/08 pro am camp. I have been to pro am events where drivers like Wang, JTP, Powers, Jeff Jones, Pat, and some others were competing against each other and the and JTP and Forrest probably stuck out the most.

I think the progression of American drift talent has been a little rushed and forced. Yes its pretty impressive that alot of these guys gain such good skill in a short amount of time compare to their Japanese counterparts but when I watch some of these drivers at times I cant help to think there's pieces of the puzzle missing. I personally think that's why some (not all) of these guys are going V8. V8 negates/cleans up alot of these drivers flaws. Don't have proper throttle control, get a a motor that has a flat torque curve. And I think America has to thank japan for alot of its fast sucess, there were no videos telling you how to drift back when Nomuken, Kuroi, and Kumakubo started drifting. The Japanese laid down a good foundation for drivers to better their skill in short amount of time. They've created monsters, at times flawed monsters but still monsters.
            Last edited by Bebop; 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X