Thoughts on BMW's for drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on BMW's for drifting

Ok, I'm getting kind of interested in the possibility of a BMW drift car. I'm looking primarily at the 3-series cars. More specifically, I kind of have my eye set on the 318ti hatchback. It weighs in at under 2800lbs. but only has a meager 138hp, not bad for 2800lbs though. I did a quick search on this forum but didn't find much on BMW's.

I'm one for a good, comfortable daily driver and one for the finer things in life like climate control...mmm. BMW delivers.

However, I'm curous about hop-ups. I'm sure there's a few despite BMW being relatively sporty by default. A little bit of searching online didn't find a whole lot except that a 318 is not unknown to the world of drifting. Now I'm not too worried about hop-ups cause it's going to stay pretty much stock short of some suspension tweaks if needed. For any that do or have owned a 3-series, are there any needed tweaks?

BMW has an excellent reliability record, but do you guys know of any faults or weaknesses? Primary engine or tranny weaknesses when driven hard?

Price isn't too bad either, allthough you are paying for the BMW name. 1999's (last year 318 was made) can be had under $10k and a 1996 can be had under $5k (search on Autotrader).

This car is primarily a daily driver, not a drift car. Drifting for me is a form of fun, not competition so no racing events with this one. Just keep that in mind when posting.

Also, feel free to post opinions, or whatever you feel like posting.

expensive to repair if u hit the curb or somthing.

Comment

check out some of the DSM vs JDM footage posted online, there you will find your answer. :-)

Comment

Check out AutoTechnic they have a bunch of parts for the 318ti including H&R coilovers

Comment

Bmw's drift! Heavy: yes, expensive to maintain: yes, FUN: YES! This is my e30 1989 bmw 325is prior to blowing out the clutch AND rear axle (go figure??) during Drift Day 8.

Comment

I wish I knew more about the suspension stuff. The sites are so vague on the details, more of just a bare or basic description of what they do. There usually seems to be only one kit available, each company having one setup for a particular car. I wish I could pick and choose rates and lengths for what I want. Maybe they can do that too; I don't know. I'd start off stock and see what needs to be changed.

As far as damage? Well the roads I drive on don't have curbs. Back roads have ditches, lol, and mailboxes, hehe. I've been drifting primarily on gravel but have some good twisty pavement roads around in select places, some sloping corners, some tight twisties(some banked outwards ), some hill climbing too but an hour away. Fun fun. Besides, I drive way to carefully to get into an accident. I know my limit and don't push them unless I have the room.

Comment

Working...
            X