ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Formula Drift Brand Expansion (Rumor Mill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
    I have to say, I disagree with this. I not aware of any sanctioning body that has ever reached out to the fan base in regards to rule books and regulations.
    I never said there was...

But FD is a new sport with alot of uneducated (to the sport) attendees. They need a to build a proper foundation to keep the money from their fan bases staying and flowing. Can you honestly say with a straight face the sport can thrive with longevity the way it is right now?
    Last edited by Bebop; 11-09-2010, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
      I never said there was...

But FD is a new sport with alot of uneducated (to the sport) attendees. They need a to build a proper foundation to keep the money from their fan bases staying and flowing. Can you honestly say with a straight face the sport can thrive with longevity the way it is right now?
      I don't think they are doing bad right now. I'm pretty sure you're not trying to imply they are doing bad, too. The amount of money I do see coming in from automotive manufactures (at least Ford and Fia.. er Chrysler), tire brands (that can financially do so), and companies outside of automotive brands (Red Bull, NOS, Monster, for now), FD appears to be a very viable source. Formula Drift has a pretty coveted age group, 18-35 year olds, and the fan base does appear to be growing.

The thing that will help keep it from being niche is going to be to keep the action from becoming boring and predictable. A lot of auto racing is suffering from repetitive winners, repetitive champions, and boring, politically-correct, stale drivers. It's part of the reason NASCAR has let driver's police themselves, it creates something for people to talk about. It creates Pseudo-drama and real drama for fans, lackluster announcers, and commentators to talk about.

I would like to see the schedule and rule book set in writing before or just after SEMA. I feel like this would be better for the drivers more than the fans, but the fans would probably appreciate it, too. Another thing I'd like to finally see is either same or next weekend coverage instead of waiting until near the end of the season to broadcast and be broadcast on a network that is seen on basic cable in more areas and televise at an hour that is before 10 PM, but not at noon on a weekday. I know they tried ESPN, and I don't know what happened with them, but I do have a feeling that the network didn't really want to try to help Formula Drift succeed. So, they put it on at bad times and bad days, just like any network that feels a show is going to fail.

Comment

Can someone name a successful profitable sport with only a 30 minute highlight show and no visible format to be produced live?

Comment

Can someone name a successful profitable sport with only a 30 minute highlight show and no visible format to be produced live?
          IHRA is, ok, ish. IMCA racing is still strong with almost zero visible media outlet, this is even with a "any racer can buy your engine for $500 and you can't refuse if you want to keep racing" rule. SCCA World Challenge (where IS their coverage?), maybe?

Comment

i was looking forward to offering more in the grassroots scene.

i also second the videogame thing, but we cant expect that anytime soon.

Comment

IHRA has a 1 hour show on speed

IMCA... I kinda consider it a grassroot/feeder series, that's just IMO

World Challenge is on Versus and has reached out to the fans and drivers a huge amount in 2010 for ways to make things more exciting and fair., I'm really excited about world challenge next year

And all can be put on Live TV with little to no alteration.
              Last edited by Bebop; 11-09-2010, 07:50 PM.

Comment

IHRA has a 1 hour show on speed

IMCA... I kinda consider it a grassroot/feeder series, that's just IMO

World Challenge is on Versus and has reached out to the fans and drivers a huge amount in 2010 for ways to make things more exciting and fair., I'm really excited about world challenge next year

And all can be put on Live TV with little to no alteration.
                Wait, it's an hour? What have I been watching?

Well, I don't know. I've always seen IMCA as a stand alone except maybe leading to WOO racing. Plus, IMCA Modifieds are cool to watch on a road course .

World Challenge on Versus, explains why I never see it.

And I think I understand what you were trying to say. Formula Drift would be great to see on Live TV. Is it ready yet? I don't know. If what I've been reading on how the recorded broadcasts are true (poor camera angles), then no. Once they get better camera angles, they will be ready for live TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
                  Wait, it's an hour? What have I been watching?

Well, I don't know. I've always seen IMCA as a stand alone except maybe leading to WOO racing. Plus, IMCA Modifieds are cool to watch on a road course .

World Challenge on Versus, explains why I never see it.

And I think I understand what you were trying to say. Formula Drift would be great to see on Live TV. Is it ready yet? I don't know. If what I've been reading on how the recorded broadcasts are true (poor camera angles), then no. Once they get better camera angles, they will be ready for live TV.
                  Well the IHRA could be a 30 min, I never watched a full episode. But that's decent air time for a 2nd or 3rd rate drag series.

You gotta remember World Challenge use to be SPPED World Challenge. For it not to be on a network would be pretty sad. I find it more entertaining then ALMS and Rolex on most weekends due to the standing starts and shorter races.

The issues with the camera angles are whats wrong with the show we already have. They would have to make much bigger changes to be able to market drifting live. I use to think the slow tandem battles were in my head, but looking at film from the live feed I see tandem is really long and boring. I couldn't bare to watch it on TV.

Each battle takes like 5-10 minutes and only maybe a good 15% of that is action. It just seems like formula D isn't making any effort to change that. IMO all the major changes formula D has made is to please the Teams and drivers. From judging personnel, to the judging format, even the top 32 tandem... at the end of the day its for the teams.

Remember as I say all this Formula D is suppose to be the best sanctioning body for drifting. Our teams have the biggest budgets and drivers come from all across the world to compete in the series. But FD's media package consists of a Internet live feed, a website, and a 30 min TV show covering less than 1/4 of the series participants.. If the Internet shuts down tomorrow the sport would be at a stand still.
                  Last edited by Bebop; 11-09-2010, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Just stopping by to say hello...
                    It's almost comical the tangents that get thrown around on here, don't you think Formula Drift is doing everything possible to make the product better and have thought of every scenario, cost effeciency and the overall agenda of the sport?

I understand you're a fan just as Ryan Sage, Jim Liaw and all the drivers and teams that are involved but you're not the only genius that thought of alot of the ideas you speak of.

Alot of us just keep to ourselves and choose to CONGRATULATE and not HATE, we partcipate and not spectate.

It's the silly season so I guess it's time to be silly, welcome to the parade of sillyness...

Believe and trust that Formula Drift is taking strides in the proper direction.

All of you fans are definitely all wanting whats best for Drifting as does Formula Drift, trust and as I've always said if you ever have a serious concept, idea or agenda Formula Drift has a revolving door meaning they'll respectfullly listen and take into consideration that concept, idea or agenda.

Comment

Who had any ideas? I have tons of ideas in my head... but I honestly couldn't put a price on them so I choose to just leave them there.

Once again, FD hops in to say let us know that speaking about the sport in any way other then congratulatory manner is "silly","comical", and hateful.
                      Last edited by Bebop; 11-09-2010, 09:55 PM.

Comment

So, is it silly to say I'm holding out for FD ACTION FIGURES? With accompanying cars? New ones each season, possible "Battle Damage" models/options? Ooooh, man!

Comment

Originally posted by ontrack View Post
                          So, is it silly to say I'm holding out for FD ACTION FIGURES? With accompanying cars? New ones each season, possible "Battle Damage" models/options? Ooooh, man!
                          I'm soooooo down for that

I actually have a 1/24 scale of JRs 07 car signed by the man himself. Hope FD and JR get big so its worth some greens in the future. Big up to urbanracer for hooking that up back in the day!

Comment

I was looking foward to those ice cream cones lol

Seriously I was looking foward to the video game the toy cars aren't a bad idea! Also I was hoping they would do something with the Dominican Republic since DR and PR have been doing alot of battles together ... (we have over 30 cars combined!)

Comment

Originally posted by J-Rod View Post
                              Just stopping by to say hello...
                              It's almost comical the tangents that get thrown around on here, don't you think Formula Drift is doing everything possible to make the product better and have thought of every scenario, cost effeciency and the overall agenda of the sport?

I understand you're a fan just as Ryan Sage, Jim Liaw and all the drivers and teams that are involved but you're not the only genius that thought of alot of the ideas you speak of.

Alot of us just keep to ourselves and choose to CONGRATULATE and not HATE, we partcipate and not spectate.

It's the silly season so I guess it's time to be silly, welcome to the parade of sillyness...

Believe and trust that Formula Drift is taking strides in the proper direction.

All of you fans are definitely all wanting whats best for Drifting as does Formula Drift, trust and as I've always said if you ever have a serious concept, idea or agenda Formula Drift has a revolving door meaning they'll respectfullly listen and take into consideration that concept, idea or agenda.
                              And that is the biggest reason I do like Formula Drift, you guys are open to fans, media, and drivers. Didn't matter, from what I've seen; if you were a fan or media, the drivers and FD staff would answer your questions (so long as they could hear you). That's something I can say I appreciate about Formula Drift. And there is always room for improvement, but that's been an admitted fact for a while now. FD is still new and still has some lessons to be learned, but I think the lessons won't be as harsh as we fear because of Formula Drift's openess.

I would like to see some competition to the Yokomo D1 R/C cars, Kyosho has made some strides, though, but I want a good Formula Drift 1/10th car.

Comment

I'd collect them all.

Comment

Working...
                                X