Clear All

• (MAGAZINE SUGGESTIONS) FORMULA DRIFT Magazine

(MAGAZINE SUGGESTIONS) FORMULA DRIFT Magazine

Please post your suggestions here.

Examples.

-Include a Calendar with the Formula Drift event schedule
    -Add Posters
    -Insert a Sticker Pack

Features on the drivers personal drift cars not just their pro cars.

Comment

How about let me help kick off the discussion with just some of the things I have been thinking about...

Features/Interviews with people behind the scenes; crew members, fabricators, crew chiefs, team managers, agents/driver managers, etc.

Off track with the drivers; what are their non-drifting lives look like, on the set of Top Gear with Tanner, on the set of a movie shoot with Rhys, Charles Ng driving in Asia Touring Car series, surfing with Dai, going to class with Ken, etc.

Controversial topics (various views from drivers, teams, judges); judging formats , technical regulations, power plants (are there too many V8s), etc.

World of FD; what is going on in FD Asia, coverage of Abu Dhabi event, etc.

Look at ProAm & up&coming drivers.

FD "Power Players"; who's who in FD that makes the major decisions that shapes the sport from FD officials to sponsorship decision makers, etc.

Note... can we please all be a fun, productive and helpful conversation?

Comment

+ a Pro-Am Regional Schedule

Comment

rookie and "smaller" driver features

Comment

Playing devils advocate here....

the only potential issue I see is stepping on the toes of existing media partners. Do you run full features of FD's top drift cars in the magazine if partners like PAS / Modified / D*Sport are running features on the same cars? Do you run interviews with the top drivers if media partners like Speedhunters / Wrecked are already publishing interviews / blogs from the same drivers?

This year, Modified ran some "behind the scenes" content with Gardella racing, and Speedhunters ran some "behind the scenes" content with Team NFS. If FD magazine runs the same content before these outlets run the content, do the other media outlets start to disenfranchise FD because they are stepping on toes? If FD runs it AFTER the other media outlets, do the FD mag readers feel like they are getting any added value from the magazine?

As many of the print magazines have shrunk in size over the years, drifting content seems to be some of the only content that is still around. With 5 or 6 magazines on the rack every month, even if each magazine only has between 1 and 5 pages of drifting content (many have more), that means that for every 1 quarterly issue of FD magazine, they have to find content that hasn't been in the 15 to 90 pages of content on the other print magazines (1 page x 5 mags x 3 months = 15 on the low side, 5 pages x 6 magazines x 3 months = 90 pages on the high side). That's not even including all the online content (Speedhunters, Motormavens, Wrecked Magazine, etc etc).

As a die-hard magazine collector and reader (FULL DISCLOSURE: and contributor), I am very happy that there is another drifting-oriented magazine that will be available. I want FD to be successful with this magazine, not only because I love magazines but because I love FD as well. I just hope it all works out in the end.

Comment

I would imagine it would follow similar pathways as

NHRA is to National Dragster???????

Maybe a poster of their favorite driver in the middle that the reader can take to the event and have the driver sign and later tape to their wall.

Comment

The picture you see here is my misc book,dvd, magazine and CD shelf. To the upper right hand side of it are all my magazines. Most of which are modified, import tuner, mini truckin, and grassroots motor sports(my favorite).I had D-Sports but for some reason I cant find them anymore.

I personally haven't gone out and bought a magazine or subscribed to a publication in years. But I remember the good ole days in grade school showing up to class with the latest magazine and reading it during boring lectures. Other kids would always scoot there desks around mine and we would read and debate about the cars and articles.

I remember in 03 or 04 Import Tuner did a series of segments on Nadine Toyoda's 240sx. I think that was the first time a American publication did a in depth look and tech segment on a drift car. I remember that article blowing kids away, I personally had a vague idea about drift car setup and the sport as a whole because I went to the early events and understood some of the Japanese in option VHS's I owned. But believe me when I say I know a couple of dudes who tried to base their whole car off Nadine's lol.

Magazines like that opened our eyes as young people to companies some of us had never heard of before. Apexi, Bride, Greddy, HKS, and other companies like that burned their logos permanently into our brains. We went from fanasizing about integras, civics, and eclipses to actually going out and buying corollas, 240s, and rx7s.

But that was 2003/2004, 7 years later we got Internet and Internet and more Internet lol. The kids I mentor don't carry magazines in their folders anymore. They got Iphones and Androids in their back pockets with unlimited plans. In a matter of seconds they are showing me there favorite cars on websites like speed hunters and streaming videos from youtube and streetfire.

I'm not hating on the Internet, I earned a couple ASE certs just from knowledge I gathered over the years online. But these kids don't even read the articles, and if they are all they care about is offset and ride height. Yeah the car looks fast and probably is fast but they don't have clue how it became that way and kinda don't care. Lets face it, paper media is a last of a dieing breed.

Formula D,

It looks like you guys are on the right track with the content of the magazine. I would love in depth looks on some the bigger teams operations. See how they feel about the rule book and how they work around to build the high tech drift cars of the day. Pro am coverage is a must, these guys need the exposure. I think some non drift stuff would be cool as well, what are the drifters wearing and what electronics are they using away from their cars.

But I really think a magazine like yours in this day and age needs incentives. Throw in maybe a behind the scenes DVD, I know Ryan is running around with a his camcorder from time to time. Or maybe qualifying runs, they're not shown on TV and its really hard to explain them without video. Alot of my home girls I bring to events are always impressed with the music, maybe a FD soundtrack? I know I sound very Video Option ish but with today's media I think we will need more then just scripted tree bark lol.

Sorry for the bible.

P.S.

I hope the magazine isn't partisan, let the teams and drivers express them selves a little. Its strange how some guys have a certain tone in the pits, and have a completely different tone on the TV and on the net when its official.
                Last edited by Bebop; 11-11-2010, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post

Good points

Most of the magazines I glance at are just about chock full of FD/Drift coverage.
                  Last edited by Bebop; 11-11-2010, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bergenholtz View Post
                    Maybe a poster of their favorite driver in the middle that the reader can take to the event and have the driver sign and later tape to their wall.
                    Quarterly magazine = only 4 drivers a year are selected. Who do you pick for 2010? Forsberg in Q1 (reigning champ), JR in Q2 (ahead halfway thru season, new sponsor, etc), then.... ? Foust Q3 for X Games? Freddy Aasbo Q4 for ROTY / hard charger? Over the past 3 years, how many times could you have made a case to put JR / Forsberg / Foust in the centerfold? I'd say these 3 drivers could justifiably be centerfold once a year for the past 3 years without argument.

At that rate, it would be hard for me to justify profiling a driver like Maeng / Powers / JTP / Ng / Mordaunt until the 3rd or 4th year of the magazine, if not beyond that. I think the whole point of this magazine is to bring up the "middle-of-the-pack" drivers who aren't getting the TV time and print coverage because they aren't hitting a podium every event. If you keep plugging the same people in the magazine who are already getting the TV / Print coverage elsewhere, it's redundant.

Comment

seems like a rough time to come out with a magazine......

just today, 0-60 magazine went kaput. They join Drifting Mag, Import Racer, C16, Sport Compact Car, Turbo, and others who have all gone the way of the dinosaur in the past 5 years. sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially since 0-60 was responsible for the single coolest viral automotive video of all time (Gymkhana training with Ken Block)

Comment

I think all the things you are planning on doing would be better served by adding them as areas of the Formula Drift website instead of taking on a print magazine.

I am one of the last hold outs but the fact that 0-60 was killed off today really shook the last bit of faith I have in print.

I say transform all the ideas you have for the mag into a new re-launch of the FD website or have Joey from Wrecked produce the magazine in a virtual format that can be read on smart phones and ...ugh..iPads *vomit*

Samsung is coming out with a new Android powered tablet as well so thats another option.

Comment

I feel bad, I thought 0-60 (the printed magazine) been gone since the first quarter of this year. Thought it was all Internet based.

Comment

If they do posters what I think is for the first poster it should be the 2010 champ and every poster after that should be the winner of each round.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post

the only potential issue I see is stepping on the toes of existing media partners. Do you run full features of FD's top drift cars in the magazine if partners like PAS / Modified / D*Sport are running features on the same cars? Do you run interviews with the top drivers if media partners like Speedhunters / Wrecked are already publishing interviews / blogs from the same drivers?

This year, Modified ran some "behind the scenes" content with Gardella racing, and Speedhunters ran some "behind the scenes" content with Team NFS. If FD magazine runs the same content before these outlets run the content, do the other media outlets start to disenfranchise FD because they are stepping on toes? If FD runs it AFTER the other media outlets, do the FD mag readers feel like they are getting any added value from the magazine?

As many of the print magazines have shrunk in size over the years, drifting content seems to be some of the only content that is still around. With 5 or 6 magazines on the rack every month, even if each magazine only has between 1 and 5 pages of drifting content (many have more), that means that for every 1 quarterly issue of FD magazine, they have to find content that hasn't been in the 15 to 90 pages of content on the other print magazines (1 page x 5 mags x 3 months = 15 on the low side, 5 pages x 6 magazines x 3 months = 90 pages on the high side). That's not even including all the online content (Speedhunters, Motormavens, Wrecked Magazine, etc etc).

As a die-hard magazine collector and reader (FULL DISCLOSURE: and contributor), I am very happy that there is another drifting-oriented magazine that will be available. I want FD to be successful with this magazine, not only because I love magazines but because I love FD as well. I just hope it all works out in the end.
                              I beleave stations like MLB Network or any other sport network have the same issue, I mean its great every sport has their own channel to talk just about that sport but when it comes to interviews u prob see the same player get interviewed on every other sport channel. So i would guess if another magazine or internet site does an interview on the same person FD wants to interview, even though theyll prob ask the same question, I dont think it will cause a problem. If I dont make sence let me know lol

Comment

Working...
                              X