ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(DRIVER SEARCH) Eric OSullivan, Patrick Cyr, & Chelsea Denofa GARDELLA RACING Top 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (DRIVER SEARCH) Eric OSullivan, Patrick Cyr, & Chelsea Denofa GARDELLA RACING Top 3

(DRIVER SEARCH) Eric O’Sullivan, Patrick Cyr, & Chelsea Denofa GARDELLA RACING Top 3

Driver Search- Top 3
    December 22nd, 2010

By Gardella Racing

Since we made the announcement for the second driver position on our Facebook page, everyone has given GR great feedback about all the drivers interested in the position. Just look at Marc Landerville, Jeff Jones and Eric O’Sullivan they must have had 500 comments alone on the GR Facebook page maybe even more. I really appreciate all the time and effort taken to make the videos and answer the questions outlined on our site. We received some great videos. By far, the most impressive one was from a well known past Formula Drift driver, who answered the questions while driving a missile car in a land far away.

It did not just take a good video to impress the team. Many things were considered, personality, logistics, communication skills / interviewing skills and last but not least, driving. I have come down to a few drivers that have really caught my attention and I think they will do phenomenal in Formula Drift in the near future with or without Gardella Racing. My top 3 picks are Patrick Cyr, Chelsea Denofa & Eric O’Sullivan. I will end up picking one of these three guys for the position and if the time frame works, I may even have them go head to head in one of the team cars.

I just can’t thank you all enough for your kindness towards my team after all the bull we have been through over the past month and a half. With the passing of Bruce (the team truck driver) and all the sponsor decks we had to work around the clock on, literally, time was just not on our side to keep in touch with all the drivers that signed up. We would like to apologize to those of you that may not have heard back from us right away; we will be sure to thank each and every one of you personally. Stay tuned, you should be hearing from us very shortly as we get ready to announce who will be our new driver in 2011.

Eric might be the most skilled, but just the way motorsports work I think Denofa should be the choice. The top GP2 driver always gets a shot at F1.

Comment

Way to go Chelsea!

He really deserves it, soo much talent.

Comment

thats an impressive top 3... but i agree with Blaze1, Chelsea

Comment

While the fan favorite is Denofa, I got a feeling from what they've written you're probably going to see O'Sullivan. He's the one with the experience behind the wheel, infront of the camera, and has an established fan base in Formula Drift.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
            While the fan favorite is Denofa, I got a feeling from what they've written you're probably going to see O'Sullivan. He's the one with the experience behind the wheel, infront of the camera, and has an established fan base in Formula Drift.
            so would you rather have a guy on your team who finished 36th out of 48, or the guy who won his series for the year ? both have a good fan base, and both drivers have around the same skill level of driving

Comment

ehhhhhhhh

I'm gonna catch a heat for this but lets be real. His best result in FD he was given a podium by default. His fan base consists of his buddies in Ireland. If I was to spend thousands of dollars on air fair alone on a driver I would rather get my moneys worth with Aasbo or James Deane. Out of all the non established foreigners they got the most momentum and maybe the most desire.

I still say Gardella should hold a test day with all 3 drivers before signing any of them.
              Last edited by Bebop; 12-23-2010, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AE86_Fan View Post
                so would you rather have a guy on your team who finished 36th out of 48, or the guy who won his series for the year ? both have a good fan base, and both drivers have around the same skill level of driving
                Finishing results really only matter to statistical people. A business that wants to sponsor a guy is going to be looking for the great story that gives fans (new or old) something to grab hold to (IE: the Irish transplant that came to America to try and make it in the top series of his sport now has a chance because he is now with a team with better support and a better platform). That's what leads to fan support and fans buying their products. You know, the long-shot/underdog story that fans of motorsport love to read about. He also has the experience being infront of the camera in Formula Drift, so he knows how to behave and show his emotions properly.

However, I will admit that a story can be written for any of them very easily. Cyr can also be the transplant story and the man who has placed 2nd in his series this year. Denofa is the man living his dream and taking it to the top level by joining a sucessful team for 2011. Really, all three drivers would have a great story to tell for any sponsor and for the fans to hold on to. So, in my opinion, it's going to come down to who has the "face time" experience, and I feel that's going to be O'Sullivan. Again, this is all my opinion and speculation.
                Last edited by Justin Banner; 12-23-2010, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Man are we talking about racing or wrestling here.

I see alot of talk about story lines and camera presence.

Keep in mind that Chelsea fueled a good portion of his program through selling parts manufactured by his sponsors.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                    Man are we talking about racing or wrestling here.
                    Neither, we're talking about drifting! (However, if you want to talk wrestling, I do have some insight to that world, too )

Anyhow, camera presence and storylines are going to be a part of Professional motorsports no matter what that motorsport is. If it wasn't, no one would be interested and the motorsport would fade into non-existence. It is a part of what makes us human, we need something to follow, to grasp, and make us feel like we are part of the sport.

It's also what does make a sponsor give a driver money. ACP has a great writeup in Volume 27, issue #8 of Grassroots Motosports where he talks about sponsorship. To quote: "For all but the very few high-level sponsors, it's more important that you be a good representative of their brand than actually win a race. And for all sponsors, the spokesmanship is essential.

Always, always, always keep in mind why your sponsors sponsor you. They want to create visibility and good will, and either sell products or services. Yes, being on the podium is the goal, and winning ins better, but your job is to get their brand out there." He goes on to talk about using social media to your advantage and filming yourself after a race to give your followers an inside look into your world. Talking about your finish, your race, and keeping positive will attract people to you and keep the sponsors happy because deep down, "(they're) just as irrational as you: They believe in you as much as you believe in yourself. And the beauty of racing is that this belief can actually make you a champion."

Comment

Hey... tell me how many times EOS was on FDs TV show this year?

Or even the live stream?

Or better yet show me a interview where he actually seemed a bit excited and or proud of his performance this year.

I just don't see how in this situation (marketing, promotion, sponsorship and etc) EOS betters out Denofa... because he has 2 years of failed FD experience essentially? I feel you (just like any other sponsor) but I think EOS is a pretty bad example. It would go well with lets say a Robbie Nishida though.
                      Last edited by Bebop; 12-23-2010, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Hey... tell me how many times EOS was on FDs TV show this year?

Or even the live stream?

Or better yet show me a interview where he actually seemed a bit excited and or proud of his performance this year.

I just don't see how in this situation (marketing, promotion, sponsorship and etc) EOS betters out Denofa... because he has 2 years of failed FD experience essentially? I feel you (just like any other sponsor) but I think EOS is a pretty bad example. It would go well with lets say a Robbie Nishida though.
                        I think everyone in the pits knew that Eric had the biggest bucket of shazzle car on the grid this year. When your own driver on a "works" team is the one turning the wrenches on the car, you know something is wrong. When Eric drives a car that works well, he does well. When he's driven against James Deane / Freddy Aasbo / Darren McNamara back in Europe, he kicks their butts (or at least is really competitive). A good car could be exactly what he needs to do well. Look at Tuerck before he got on Gardella's team - he was in a different car every round, and didn't have a podium in the US (even though he kicked everyone's butt in Canada). He got in a car that was reliable, and he's been no lower than 6th in season points with 2 wins and 4 podiums since then.

I feel like Denofa has had a working car, and hasn't risen to the top. he's had some problems, but I don't know if he's up to par as the other 2 drivers. Cyr is decent, but I don't know if he can step up to a big power car. Look at Joon Maeng - he's awesome at driving a 100hp corolla or a 300hp S13, but he's not so hot w/ a 500+ hp RX8. I'd be skeptical about Cyr being able to adapt.

In the end, they're all great drivers, and this is the opportunity of a life time. I think this is the best "open" seat in FD next year!

Comment

Your right EOS Subaru was trash upon trash this year. But even though he didn't make the bed he sure did sleep in it feel me? I really feel he should go back and reformulate a little since he had his chance and it really didn't work out. Ryan T is a bit different, he was doing it with no help... he wasn't on a team like EOS was.

The grassroots and the feeder series NEED Denofa to end up on a solid team for 2011. This will hopefully set a real trend and give the grassroots guys a serious goal to pursue other then just a licence for the pros. I've drove in a series where the winner was guaranteed a ride on the next level, and I can tell you that's a serious motivating force. Other then pleasing your sponsors I think the ability to move up in rank is one of the most vital core values when it comes to motorsports.

Cyr seems pretty bad *Censored**Censored**Censored*, I heard he took out a few ex FD cars in that corolla in DMCC. I would like to see him driving a corolla in FD and pay his dues. He has a rep like D-mac back in 05/06, cant wait to see him in the series.
                          Last edited by Bebop; 12-23-2010, 11:19 PM.

Comment

The grassroots and the feeder series NEED Denofa to end up on a solid team for 2011. This will hopefully set a real trend and give the grassroots guys a serious goal to pursue other then just a licence for the pros. I've drove in a series where the winner was guaranteed a ride on the next level, and I can tell you that's a serious motivating force. Other then pleasing your sponsors I think the ability to move up in rank is one of the most vital core values when it comes to motorsports.
                            You're right on that point. Having Denofa move up to a Pro team would further legitimize XDC or any ProAm for that matter.

And on the topic of EOS being on video and being positive about 2010, here is one from Round 4 of this year (and this was on the LiveStream):
                            <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bXaQ2n64lc4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bXaQ2n64lc4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Video blog he did for Round 1, dejected, but still positive:
                            <embed src="http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/video/mediaplayer.swf" width="400" height="300" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" menu="false" flashvars="height=300&width=400&file=http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/video/videos/qt-Eric-Oullivan-Blogs-Formula-D-Long-Beach.mp4&image=http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/video/thumbs/Eric-Oullivan-Blogs-Formula-D-Long-Beach0.jpg&callback=http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/video/report.php?id=730"></embed><br /><a href="http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/watchvideo/eric-osullivan-blogs-about-driveless-adventu">Eric O'Sullivan Blogs About Driveless Adventure to Formula D Long Beach </a>

Video blog he did for Round 2 of this year, still positive:
                            <embed src="http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/video/mediaplayer.swf" width="400" height="300" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" menu="false" flashvars="height=300&width=400&file=http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/video/videos/qt-Eric-OSullivan-Formula-Drift-Round-2.mp4&image=http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/video/thumbs/Eric-OSullivan-Formula-Drift-Round-22.jpg&callback=http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/video/report.php?id=749"></embed><br /><a href="http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/watchvideo/eric-osullivan-formula-drift-diary-on-round-">Eric O'Sullivan Formula Drift Diary on Round 2</a>

Comment

LOL, home boy seems a little down but good points.

I would be so heated at my team Danica Patrick style

Comment

Working...
                              X