ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(V8 PREDICTION) What Percentage of the 2011 Builds Will Have a V8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I feel like a V8 is the only way to remain competitive in Formula D anymore. Hence why some of the other guys switched(?) over to XDC (I could be completely wrong in that statement, only going off of what I saw with Forrest Wang, Quoc Ly, etc.)

Maybe this is the way that drifting will differentiate itself in the US: Formula D being comprised of big teams backing professionals in top-quality engineered V8 track monsters, and XDC (or another organization) being comprised of privateers and skilled drivers keeping a sense of the diversity "purists" and grassroots drivers love while still competing on a national level. Again, just my opinion.

Comment

Ha! I found out this weekend that a lot of the cars in XDC are running v8's as well. Weird?!

Comment

Originally posted by 110octane View Post
        Ha! I found out this weekend that a lot of the cars in XDC are running v8's as well. Weird?!
        really? hm. for some reason i was under the impression that there was a bit more variety as far as engine choice in XDC.

Comment

does anyone know where there's some 'current standings' for XDC?

i always find it impossible to find their standings online....

Comment

How about some footage?

Comment

yeah when xdc came to my town, about 60-75% had v8s. i hate this whole inv8sion lol but you cant help but having to give in to be competetive

Comment

Originally posted by ztkrevolution View Post
                yeah when xdc came to my town, about 60-75% had v8s. i hate this whole inv8sion lol but you cant help but having to give in to be competetive
                eh, i enjoyed the assortment of engines, it's what made the sport somewhat unique. SR's, RB's, JZ's, VQ's, etc. sound like a "harmony" (i guess) to me, rather than a combined drone of LSX's/Coyote's and the occasional VK. by no means am i a "purist", i just enjoy variety.

Comment

i know exactly what you mean. i love the sound of a boosted straight six personally

Comment

I just wish you didn't NEED a V8 to be competitive

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
                      I just wish you didn't NEED a V8 to be competitive
                      Well, really you don't. It's the budget vs. performance vs. reliability equation. You want a four cylinder that will keep up with the V8s and be reliable, you better have a really good budget. You want to perform but not soak up the budget, good bye reliability. If you want it reliable and budget friendly, yeah, say no to performance. In terms of staying as budget friendly as possible and still being competitive, yes, you need a V8.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
                        Well, really you don't. It's the budget vs. performance vs. reliability equation. You want a four cylinder that will keep up with the V8s and be reliable, you better have a really good budget. You want to perform but not soak up the budget, good bye reliability. If you want it reliable and budget friendly, yeah, say no to performance. In terms of staying as budget friendly as possible and still being competitive, yes, you need a V8.
                        I don't know if it's necessarily the budget, as I'm sure huge teams like Falken, etc. or whoever else have plenty of cash to build their cars however they'd like. Fact of the matter is that V8's have more low end response and instant torque anywhere you need it, which is all teams care about. It's perfectly possible to build a competitive 4 or 6 cylinder, but they're practically an endangered species in Formula D right now.

Comment

I'm sorry but the way the sport is judged and presented its virtually impossible for a V8 to win a event let alone win a championship. Justin your acting like the most of the field is running out of the box LS1s. The top V8 teams are spending just as much if not more money then the top non V8 teams on motor prep and maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
                            Justin your acting like the most of the field is running out of the box LS1s. The top V8 teams are spending just as much if not more money then the top non V8 teams on motor prep and maintenance.
                            Yeah, the TOP teams. Trust me, I've been told how much engines cost for the top performing teams in FD, and they are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, even a mid tier FD team will probably run a LS6 or LS7 (and if what I'm hearing is true, one of those mid tier guys is going to no longer be running just a mid tier LS)

However, the lower tier, grassroots, and lower to mid tier XDC guys run the less expensive LS1s out of the box because it is cheaper. I half expect one of them to run an old iron-block 350ci at some point. I just wish someone would go ahead and do a Ford 351 or a Mopar 340 at some point for a little more variety (though I am glad to hear that there will be a Mopar V8 under a 350Z in XDC ).

Comment

I thought this was about FD?

But yeah, if drivers are going from V8 to more powerful V8 that just proves my point a bit more, you NEED V8 to competitive in FD.

Comment

I thought it was about all of American drifting... Oops. Oh well.

I agree, in FD you need a MAJOR budget to make a 4 or even 6 cylinder competitive.

Comment

Working...
                                X