FD and PRO-AM, Do you Need New Cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FD and PRO-AM, Do you Need New Cars?

Is it required of these guys to to come in with a new car every so often. i know the cars dont last too long regardless from the strain of racing.

what do you mean by new? as long as it follows the rulebook its good to drive.

Comment

Well, this is the first time Formula Drift has specifically stated that cars with certain ID numbers had to be retired because of the rewriting of the rules. Normally, as boxmod stated, if it passed tech, it passes. Most of the "new" cars are just guys trying something new or keeping up with the Jones', as the case may be.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
        Well, this is the first time Formula Drift has specifically stated that cars with certain ID numbers had to be retired because of the rewriting of the rules. Normally, as boxmod stated, if it passed tech, it passes. Most of the "new" cars are just guys trying something new or keeping up with the Jones', as the case may be.
        Wrong.

The pre-130 cars had some 'grandfathered' in rules for a 2 or 3 year time period. After that period, they weren't FORCED to be retired, they just weren't allowed the same graces that they were previously allowed to run.

Now, 100% of the cars on the grid must comply with the current, 2011 rulebook. This change has been in the process for several years now, and all teams running pre-130 cars were made aware of this situation previously.

This was a way of allowing teams with previously-built cars to continue to run their cars for a period of time and save up money to build a new car. Some cars might have passed tech as-is without any major modifications, but most teams were already working on new cars as technology and car setup has evolved dramatically since those pre-130 cars were first built.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
          Wrong.

The pre-130 cars had some 'grandfathered' in rules for a 2 or 3 year time period. After that period, they weren't FORCED to be retired, they just weren't allowed the same graces that they were previously allowed to run.

Now, 100% of the cars on the grid must comply with the current, 2011 rulebook. This change has been in the process for several years now, and all teams running pre-130 cars were made aware of this situation previously.

This was a way of allowing teams with previously-built cars to continue to run their cars for a period of time and save up money to build a new car. Some cars might have passed tech as-is without any major modifications, but most teams were already working on new cars as technology and car setup has evolved dramatically since those pre-130 cars were first built.
          Ok, I was under the impression that the pre-130 cars had to retire this year, no ifs, ands, or buts. I knew they did keep them grandfathered, though, and thought that was part of the reason they were being forced to retire. Eh, whatever, my mistake.

Comment

I dont know anything about the rule books or car classiifications. I was just wondering if its possible to use last years car for the new seasion. But this was pretty much answered by boxmod. Guess if it will meet the requirements it will race.

Comment

Working...
            X