Getting a job in the performance industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a job in the performance industry

I've loved cars all my life, but also I've always dreamed of getting into the hi-performance/tuning business. I tried engineering school but it didn't work out (I did get the equivalent of a 2 yr engineering degree), and I thought about mechanics but couldn't afford the required $2500 of tools. So I'm workin part time in a sales position for SBC to make money for school. But my dream, and where I want to be is to work in the tuning buisiness, whether it be trucks, euro, jap, or domestics. My question for all you guys actually involved in the industry is how do you get a job in the automotive aftermarket, or run/work in a tuning shop (my dream)? I want to get there, I've got the basic car knowledge, and the will, but I just don't know how. Anybody got any ideas/advice?

Go to school. Make contacts. Read up on current events in the tuning world.

Comment

www.wyotech.com its $20000, and they cover just about everything depending on what you designed your classes for.

If you just want to build or sell parts, then just finish engierring school or busniess..

If you want to build race cars or be on any sort of race team... be a engineer... they usually dont pick up street walking grease monkeys to work on real race cars...

Comment

What I want to do mostly is help design the cars, but I really don't care what I'd be doing to start with, whatever it would take to get my foot in the door and start learning. Like I said I got a 2 year degree in engineering, about a year of sales experience, I keep up with the trends, and I can do basic mechanical stuff (changing oil, tires, and filters). I'm thinking about taking some CNC machining classes and getting my 1 year CAD certificate. Wonder if that would help.

Comment

If its anything like the IT world, then the more certifications and education and degrees you get the better. the broader the better.

Comment

Yeah it seems to me there's a bunch of different ways to get your foot in the door. From guys like Jack Roush and Ryan Newman that have engineering degrees, to Steve Saleen and John Lingenfelter who were just racers that made it big, to a guy that I know in Ohio who got a sales job with a shop close to him. I tried to get an engineering degree and got 2/4 years complete, but I just got mentally burnt out from pushing myself to the limit mentally for 3 years. I know there's a lot of differnt avenues to get into this industry and it's something I know I was born to do, so I am trying to find a different way to do it.

Comment

Tsunami-------i have the exact same problem as u man except that iam only finishing high school.
              I asked people tey usually tell me to go for engineering(but i suck in math) so i wouldnt be the best at that.

People also say to go to Wyo tech, i checked out their site http://www.wyotech.com/ (someone posted it already) go there n chek it out, it seems to be really good but expensive. it will be woth it in the longrun.

good luck peace

Comment

wyotech is a very good school, ivisited my sister in wyoming last summer and took a tour of wyotech, it looked great to me, it may be an option when i get out of school.

also every one that works on there cars at school races them, there isnt much in wyoming so they get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                  If its anything like the IT world, then the more certifications and education and degrees you get the better. the broader the better.
                  Yeah, the more degrees u have in your portfolio to show someone the better. A decent plan would be to get your degree in engineering like you have, then a business degree, and start MEETING PEOPLE. One of my favorite quotes. "Its not what you know, its who you know."

Comment

I know that's the key. Find somebody with a speed shop, get to know 'em and hopefully get a job sweepin floors or workin the counter. The only thing nearby is a Corvette place that sells stuff from the Tweaks Catalogs but they don't do any work on cars. Unfortunately the economy is tough and I just won't have enough money to go to shows or move somewhere for a few years yet. I'm tryin to meet some people on the web and around here though, hopefully I can make some connections that way. But even that's tough cause I don't have web access at home.

Comment

Working...
                    X