X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (NEW FORMULA DRIFT JUDGE) Ryan Lanteigne

(NEW FORMULA DRIFT JUDGE) Ryan Lanteigne

who????

has he ever even been to an FD event? or has he just flunked out of the minor leagues?

Comment

from Drift Mania/Canada series.

Comment

This is pretty effing stupid

Comment

Originally posted by boxmod View Post

from Drift Mania/Canada series.
          I realize he drove a car.... but DMCC isn't exactly a top rate series. That looks like some cones and k-rails in a parking lot, not the caliber of driving that is expected in FD.

my question still stands - has he seen an FD event live in person prior to this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by YOitzJDM View Post
            I realize he drove a car.... but DMCC isn't exactly a top rate series.
            What judge would you look for? The only driver not dedicated to the series that has a ton of experience in FD is Tanner, and we know he won't be back. Even if he wasn't a great driver, that's not to say he doesn't have an eye for judging. Give the man a chance, maybe he'll do some good by being someone who won't be seen as biased towards a certain driving group as some people have criticized with no proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
              What judge would you look for?.
              Calvin Wan
              Hiro Sumida
              Hubert Young
              Ryan Hampton
              Stephan Verdier

Yeah I know, all ex falken guys except for Stephan. But all of those mentioned have been drifting for quite a long time and have great overall motorsports knowledge and are articulate enough to explain things in a proper manner without sounding like a broseph lol. All except Hampton have some good finishes under their belts so they know what it takes to win and all have had their bad weekends so they know what its like to loose.

This guy just doesn't have the credentials. If FD feels comfortable bringing in these no name guys to judge the series they mind as well not talk about/hype up the judging panel and have a rotating panel of judges from event to event. And maybe since there is so much money involved in the sport these days maybe a private party should administrate the judges. I don't know, cant wait to see how sh*t hits the fan after the first questionable call happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
                Calvin Wan
                Hiro Sumida
                Hubert Young
                Ryan Hampton
                Stephan Verdier

Yeah I know, all ex falken guys except for Stephan. But all of those mentioned have been drifting for quite a long time and have great overall motorsports knowledge and are articulate enough to explain things in a proper manner without sounding like a broseph lol. All except Hampton have some good finishes under their belts so they know what it takes to win and all have had their bad weekends so they know what its like to loose.

This guy just doesn't have the credentials. If FD feels comfortable bringing in these no name guys to judge the series they mind as well not talk about/hype up the judging panel and have a rotating panel of judges from event to event. And maybe since there is so much money involved in the sport these days maybe a private party should administrate the judges. I don't know, cant wait to see how sh*t hits the fan after the first questionable call happens.
                Stephan is dedicated to Rallycross, just as Tanner is, if I'm not mistaken. Hiro could do well as a judge. Hampton would have the DA cross to carry, so that probably rules him out for now as far as the rabid fans go. Hubert Young, he wouldn't be a bad choice.

And what will happen on any "bad" call? The same hoopin', hollarin' and other hupla that happens. A new judge will not change that, EVER.

Comment

Calvin Wan
                  Hiro Sumida
                  Hubert Young
                  Ryan Hampton
                  Stephan Verdier

Whoa retract your claws Wolverine!

Pump the brakes home-slice. This guy isn't just some hack. He has competed and judged in the premere Canadian series. That isn't something that any random jacka$$ could do.

Anyhow all the choices you mentioned with the exception of Hiro and Stephan have all (like Ernie) left drifting because some greater responsibility took priority (alternate career, family, etc) so if they couldn't commit the time to drift they probably couldn't commit the time to judge either.

There is also the fact that, as you stated, they are all ex-Falken guys (except Stephan). We all remember the Sh!t storm that happend when Tony was first announced as a judge and that year Drift Alliance dominated the series.

Of course the two weren't connected but it didn't really look all that great in apperances either.

This guy doesn't seem to have ties to any power that conspiracy theorists think may have sway in the series so not even the extremists out there can accuse him of playing favorites to anyone.

So I emplore you to give him a chance. You just might like the dude. After all, hes Canadian!

Comment

I think it's good to have someone fresh that hasn't been to FD or seen an event and doesnt know anyone.

Comment

Stephan is dedicated to Rallycross, just as Tanner is, if I'm not mistaken. Hiro could do well as a judge. Hampton would have the DA cross to carry, so that probably rules him out for now as far as the rabid fans go. Hubert Young, he wouldn't be a bad choice.

And what will happen on any "bad" call? The same hoopin', hollarin' and other hupla that happens. A new judge will not change that, EVER.
                      Tanner is dedicated to 2 or 3 different rally series and a couple TV shows. Stephan is dedicated to just one 4 round series, I don't think he would mind getting his pockets padded to support his rally effort if scheduling permits.

And I said "questionable" call , that all stems back to my thoughts on having a rotating panel. If a certain judge makes a bad call this month he wont be at the event next month. Gives a little bit of reinsurance to the teams and spectators that the same eyes wont be making the same decisions week after week. Or they can just have them in the background almost nameless like every single other judged sport, the way they present and handle the judges is almost like American Idol.

Fixmer = Paula Abdul
                      Angelo = Randy Jackson
                      Yen = Simon Cowell

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                        Whoa retract your claws Wolverine!

All I'm saying is he doesn't have the credentials, I don't mind no name "gurus" coming in to judge... but I don't feel comfortable with them judging every single round.

But I agree, its cool he isn't affiliated with any existing team... but the dude did not replace Tony. He replaced Fixmer, a dude that to my knowledge never had a big corporate deal or was a part of any "Alliance".

If FD cared about the public's opinion on bias they would have gotten rid of Tony. Not saying they should...just saying. But from what I've been seeing hearing and reading it was Fixmers choice to leave....

Yeah, alot of those guys I mentioned left the sport to live regular lives but lets be real if these guys could make a living racing they would be back in a heart beat. All those guys either ran or were being forced to run their own teams when they decided to hang it up. I think coming back to judge and setup 4 days out of a month for 7 months isnt enough to ruin your 9-5.
                        Last edited by Bebop; 04-06-2011, 05:40 PM.

Comment

If FD cared about the public's opinion on bias they would have gotten rid of Tony. Not saying they should...just saying. But from what I've been seeing hearing and reading it was Fixmers choice to leave....
                          Yeah, supposedly from what I've also read, Fixmer left for a new job in the "aerospace industry."

Rallycross isn't just the GRC and there will be events afterwards by RallyCar. From what I understood (and I may be wrong) it is Rallycross that Stephan is dedicated to, not just the GRC/X Games. I don't know about Rally, though, but I believe his Rallycross car is legal in Open Class rally in RallyCar, but I'll have to read RallyCar's rules again.

However, this guy may do well. I say give him a chance and if he screws up royally, then we boot him. We must give the accused a trial of their peers, that is the American Way!

Comment

I honestly trust Boxmod or Blaze1 to judge before I'd trust the Canadian dude to do it. At least Blaze1 and Boxmod have seen FD events before and understand the caliber of driving that is out there.

Yeah, supposedly from what I've also read, Fixmer left for a new job in the "aerospace industry."
                            What you heard? You mean what's in the original press release?

Fixmer has recently taken a position in the aerospace field and will be unavailable to judge the Formula DRIFT domestic events due to time commitments. He is still very dedicated to the sport of drifting and will continue to be part of the community, but looks forward to the new career opportunity. His departure creates an opening in the 3-judge panel where Lanteigne will take over the role of third judge.

http://www.formulad.com/blog/2011/pr...e-2011-season/

Comment

Originally posted by YOitzJDM View Post
                              What you heard? You mean what's in the original press release?

http://www.formulad.com/blog/2011/pr...e-2011-season/
                              Yeah, that's all I've had to go on. Wasn't trying to sound like I had inside information on that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X