• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxmod View Post
    its easy to say from the stands.

Tell that too your sponsors lol

Comment

Unfortunately, Americans are so biased towards #1 that it's all anyone cares about. Not enough people care about style, skill or finesse, they just want to see a "win" and sponsors know that. It's kind of sad to think about it really. The only motorsport in the world that's based on visual appeal instead of laptime and somehow we still managed to screw it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
        Tell that too your sponsors lol
        tell them that there are a bunch of haters in the stands? i think they know that, some of them are IN the stands at these and other events.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavi Mike View Post
          Unfortunately, Americans are so biased towards #1 that it's all anyone cares about. Not enough people care about style, skill or finesse, they just want to see a "win" and sponsors know that. It's kind of sad to think about it really. The only motorsport in the world that's based on visual appeal instead of laptime and somehow we still managed to screw it up.
          I agree. the mentality is that if you arent the BEST, you are the worst. When scene first started in FL, sliding one turn then spinning out was AWESOME, everyone thought it was cool. Now its max angle, brushing walls, and full throttle or you are a FaIL n00b.

Comment

tell them that there are a bunch of haters in the stands? i think they know that, some of them are IN the stands at these and other events.
            You must not have very many serious sponsors then.

But seriously why even compete with that mentality? To get a couple pictures of your self on speedhunters or some other website? To boost that confidence when spitting game to import models? Maybe its the cool FD sun visor and door decal? Or maybe to have bragging rights within your local grassroots scene and with the rest of your drinking buddies? Because a mid tear boring driver wont get you much more. This ain't F1 where you qualify last finish second to last and still make a million a year.

And my mentality is not if your not the best your the worst. Look at my sig, I support a bunch of drivers who never or rarely win a event let alone a championship. I like them because they are entertaining drivers who drive/drove cool machines that represented their individuality. They don't show up to the track purposely shooting for 16th place on the bracket, they take it one run at a time and give 110%. If you hate the fans, don't care about the sponsors, and have zero intentions of wining...why show?

Comment

Look. If it wasn't for these three drivers busting their butt to do something special I would not have spent the energy to search for these clips, create this thread and use these clips to brag to coworkers, friends, family and acquaintances of why they need to come to Road Atlanta May 7th. Fans like me do mater. I may be opinionated and critical but I am no hater.
              Last edited by my 1 88 u; 04-16-2011, 10:51 PM.

Comment

look, if you are going to complain that its FormulaP then go drive better. I said from the start it is sweet to see but if you take a step back from your preaching and realize that 1st qualifier doesnt mean you finish 1st for sure, you'd understand my point. I'm simply stating that ANYONE that makes top32 has a shot at winning, whereas the guy who tries backwqrds and spins one and straightens another has NO SHOT AT WINNING. its not always about being 1st qualifier, its about winning battles and thats how you win a drift event. Who won last year? not one of those in the above video of.... they are amazing drivers with incredible skill for sure. Its a strategy to qualify before trying to win, and once you have- then focus on win. If you have a good run 1st, then by all means go big.

If you think sponsors only care about winning, you are wrong. If you think fans only care about winning, your wrong. if you think i dont appreciate every fan and every sponsor (mine or someone elses) your wrong.

sorry for the hater comment but its just what it sounds like when you say that its formulaP. we all like to see these entries but i think its unfair to be negative about a driver(in general, not talking about me, im not even in FD) who is strategic.

i drift for fun, sponsors are a huge help, and fans are the icing on it all. i will never claim to be best either, there is a sh!t ton of better drivers in the world.

we should hand hug at ATL and make fun of people who fall down the hill. ive done it so its fair game hahahha
                Last edited by boxmod; 04-16-2011, 08:58 PM.

Comment

I'm not really talking about or even focused on winning here. I'm talking about giving a good show. But yeah, the #1 qualifier usually does not win.... but statistics show even in this top 32 format the winner is usually someone who qualified int he top 10.

Quite frankly I agree with the judges score but the most entertaining runs in my eyes are usually not by the top qualifiers. The company I work for is actually interested in drifting but aren't quite sure if they want to market them selves through the series or through a driver or both as of yet.

I work along side my regional marketing manager and know a few others (not as bebop/blaze1 obviously lol) that are already involved in the series, and yes winning is not everything but overall presentation means alot as well, and none of them would ever help a program the fans aren't interested in as is.

If I had the budget and most of all the spare time I wouldn't mind trying out pro am circuit. I always been more of a street guy when it came to my drifting but I got a reasonable kart and club racing background. But too be honest I wouldn't step into the pros unless I knew I would be a valuable asset to the series in the form of entertainment and competitiveness.

I don't use the term Formula P or Formula Smoke or any other variation that these guys who dont like the series use, but threads like this make it reasonably hard for me to defend it.

Comment

What's "Formula P"?

Comment

Formula.....kitty cat

get it? lol

Comment

Oh. Never heard that one. I've heard Formula Smoke and Formula NASCAR.

Back to the subject of the thread. If you compete and want to be remembered and bragged about, Go all out for the fans.

Comment

yea. i think we are more misunderstanding each other. i also LoVE big entries, but when its your job to be in the big show, its hard to risk the whole weekend on 2 shots. i wish FD did an entry contest segment sepearate from the other stuff. set aside or something with just a quick 1 entry shot, and pick the 3 best to get one more run and let the fans cheering/vote for the winner after all 3 go. nothing to officiL but similar to the retaks entry award but as a seperate function

Comment

yea. i think we are more misunderstanding each other. i also LoVE big entries, but when its your job to be in the big show, its hard to risk the whole weekend on 2 shots. i wish FD did an entry contest segment sepearate from the other stuff. set aside or something with just a quick 1 entry shot, and pick the 3 best to get one more run and let the fans cheering/vote for the winner after all 3 go. nothing to officiL but similar to the retaks entry award but as a seperate function
                            Like Drift Alliance.

Comment

2 more weeks.

Comment

FL for Pro Am

Comment

Working...
                                X