(FEEDBACK) FORMULA D Road Atlanta 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (FEEDBACK) FORMULA D Road Atlanta 2012

This was the first time I watched the stream in a while (like 2 or 3 events) and I was fairly impressed of how far it has come.Nice and clean, a good amount of camera angles but there is a need for a "digger" or a ground level camera. The half time show was awesome, Slapshot was holding down the interviews incredibly. I think they found the right man for the job as far as that goes. The dialogue between J-Rod and Ryan was a good mix as well but you gotta take what they say with a grain of salt.

As far as the action and the new layout goes; this is by far now the best course in the series and it has soooo much potential for even better battles that we have seen today. I do think in tandem the first clip can leave, the fans love the backward entries and the first clip really botches them. I say leave it out in Qual and bring it in during qualifying.

The judging was far from bad but it was inconsistent if you know what I mean. Some drivers were getting away with things while others were not. My questions are how shallow can one drivers line be coming into and in the key hole before they actually get penalized. Per FD rules Daigo deserved the loss against Aasbo since he came in mighty shallow line wise into the keyhole, but I also though that was a well deserve win over Walker since he slowed down a hell of a lot at the keyhole clip. But I did see alot of drivers getting away and getting penalized for the same thing. Just real inconsistent....but not bad either.

Overall, it looked like a great event and the changes are in the right direction.

PS. I heard the Canadian judge say something like "2 car gap...thats ok", is this really okay? Are the judges really that content with tandem battles like that? *Face Palm*
    Last edited by Bebop; 05-12-2012, 08:21 PM.

Shite judging as usual. Way to long of breaks between runs. Last year was pretty good at keeping it moving but this year it seemed very very slow.

Tyler taking the pass is what drifting is supposed to be about. Screw FD for taking that away.
    Last edited by my 1 88 u; 05-12-2012, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
      Shite judging as usual. Way to long of breaks between runs. Last year was pretty good at keeping it moving but this year it seemed very very slow.

Tyler taking the pass is what drifting is supposed to be about. Screw FD for taking that away.
      I thought the same thing that Tyler should have got the win, but then it was said by Jarod that the drivers were told in the drivers meeting that there was only passing in a certain part of the course that is allowed. I'm assuming they were talking about the keyhole section since Tyler was penalized.

However, I never heard of nor do agree with the decision of "passing zones" in the course. I always understood it was allowable to pass when a leading driver is so far off line that it was a reasonable and clean option for the following driver to take. Has "passing zones" always existed and I was just never aware of it?

In the case of Tyler vs Joon, It should have been a legal pass since Joon was WAY off line and Tyler had all the room he needed to make a clean pass. Joon was killing it all day! He was getting better and faster as the event wet on. He had the advantage, but he made a mistake. I felt it was the only option Tyler had other than ending his drift to let Joon back on the course.

Overall This was and always is an amazing event! I think Only Irwindale rivals Atlanta in the number of attendance in all the rounds, but the energy and fans were awesome to watch! Jarod was much better with his comedy fillers and one liners. The new course is better and I am happy to see the change. Some of the best consistent tandem battles and carnage I've seen in a long time.

Awesome Show Great Job Formula Drift!

Comment

Yeah I was watching the stream too. They should call more OMT.
        Tight battles like: Fredric Aasbo vs. Robbie Nishida, JTP vs.Ryan Tuerck, deserve a OMT (There were a couple of other ones too). Sloppy runs like Kado vs. Jones? OMT (I think it was that one) shouldn't get OMT Kinda felt boring no feeling in that run.

Kinda felt like this round was rigged.

I had to stop watching like 3 times

Comment

Have they got the sound down yet? They didn't at Long Beach. The only time you ever hear the cars is when they go by the judges booth. They really need to do something about that. It's not hard to throw an omni-directional overhead mic somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavi Mike View Post
            Have they got the sound down yet? They didn't at Long Beach. The only time you ever hear the cars is when they go by the judges booth. They really need to do something about that. It's not hard to throw an omni-directional overhead mic somewhere.
            Thanks your bringing that up Mike! A very good point that really needs to be addressed by Formula Drift. I thought I was hearing the cars pretty well during practice, but that went away during the main event. It really kills the impact of the event with only hearing Jarod and watching the cars silently battle it out.

Comment

I'm torn on the new course. I was a huge fan of the old layout, and although I think it's good that the course got changed up and is now more technical, some of the antics I saw during the tandems annoyed me.

As far as the outcomes... I stopped trying to figure out the judging awhile ago. I will say that there is a constant feedback loop happening between the judges and the spotters to update the drivers on what they are looking for, and it's hard as a spectator to know all the details of this without being there. I missed the Saturday driver meeting so I don't know what the specifics were for tandem.

The crowd in Atlanta is nuts. I first went there in '06 or '07 and haven't missed an Atlanta event yet because it's so much fun. I had a client from my day job come to the event to check it out, he had only previously seen some amateur drifting at Turner Field. He had a lot of fun and was thoroughly entertained, even with little to no previous knowledge of how the series works or the judging criteria. As long as drifting can continue to entertain the casual fan, the sport will continue to grow. That's the most important thing.

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
              This was the first time I watched the stream in a while (like 2 or 3 events) and I was fairly impressed of how far it has come.Nice and clean, a good amount of camera angles but there is a need for a "digger" or a ground level camera. The half time show was awesome, Slapshot was holding down the interviews incredibly. I think they found the right man for the job as far as that goes. The dialogue between J-Rod and Ryan was a good mix as well but you gotta take what they say with a grain of salt.
              Thanks man! I really appreciate it coming from you. I was actually joking with some of the FD staff about how you should come be a guest on the show sometime. haha! Did you happen to catch either the top 32 practice on Friday night or the afternoon practice on Saturday? I'd be interested to hear your feedback on the commentary we were doing.

Comment

This weekend was filled with awesome runs! Despite all the controversy it was a great event!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Definitely some controversial runs that could have and should have gone OMT, but overall it was an awesome event. The sound needs to be fixed, Jarod needs to either hold the microphone farther away from him when he's talking or get someone to adjust the sound levels, because he's loud to the point that his voice is distorting. An omnidirectional mic to capture the track sounds would be nice too.

Comment

i like the old layout better. this seemed to often drivers were to go offline and fake it with HP.

Comment

Can anyone explain why Yoshioka is struggling so much with the RS-R s15?

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
                        Can anyone explain why Yoshioka is struggling so much with the RS-R s15?
                        Its the first time I heard of a VQ35DE being put into a S15, so I'm guessing they are still learning the optimal suspension/alignment tune for the chassis balance behavior when drifting.

They didn't have hardly any time to drive the car before long beach and I'm betting Round 2 was the first time they drove it since Yoshioka got eliminated at LB. Not a lot of time for R&D.

Comment

Did no one else hear Aasbo say he is bringing back the Supra! I think he slipped by confirming that during the halftime show! That Supra and Aasbo is going to change things up this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Lifer View Post
                            Did no one else hear Aasbo say he is bringing back the Supra! I think he slipped by confirming that during the halftime show! That Supra and Aasbo is going to change things up this year!
                            He mentioned that there was an announcement coming with the Supra. My guess would be that it is related to demos, not FD

Comment

Huh, just realized Daigo Saito hasn't been beaten by an American car yet. Poor JR.
                              Last edited by my 1 88 u; 05-14-2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X