learning to drift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learning to drift

Where do people gennerally learn to drift. And how.

I learned in controled environments practicing with manipulating the car with the handbrake, alot of experiment and reading and trying new things taught me how to drift. May i recommend you dont practice aroun trees, or curbs, or anything.

You will spin when learning, If your not spinning, then you arent learning. Got it?

Comment

So would you go to like a rural area or a track? Did someone teach you, and Did you go to events before you started? I would like to get into it like a year after I get my license so I have some time.

Comment

I have not been to a track yet.

i hope to change that this summer.

i learned on my own, And from what i could read off the net, later on by talking to others about there techniques and videos like the drift bible.

i went to events after i was already proficient in the basics.

Comment

industrial area, make sure it's devoid of any obstacles like speed bumps, light poles, etc., make sure it's somewhere where cops don't patrol regularly and where no one will call the cops if they hear a few hours worth of tire screeching. and always bring friends, the last thing you want is to break down and get stranded.

a lot of people tell you not to do it on the streets, that it's dangerous and irresponsible, but the truth is, few people ever became great at drifting from going out to meets or ghymkana events once a month. if you want to become good, you have to drive A LOT. all the magazines tell you not to, and to only go to events, but there's rarely a sanctioned event around when you need to throw down a few hours of practice 3 or 4 nights a week. plus, the chances of you running into a living thing in the parking lot of a cement factory at 1:00am are slim to none, as long as your not doing it in high traffic areas where you can't see what's coming, you'll be alright

(not that i condone illegal activities )
          Last edited by kaneda; 03-21-2004, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Would watching events get me started, somewhat? like the one in Eureka.

Comment

yes, watching how experienced drivers enter and exit corners and looking at the position of their cars is always a good idea. and when you watch video and such, always pay close attention to the incar footage, watch how the pros do it

Comment

i agree

i agree wit kaneda drifting on the streets..... there a high stress level making no room for error,u can't get that on any track wll u can but not as high as street drifting or touge
                i don't condone any of it

wait yes i do!

Comment

HEY

parking lot parking lots i have only drifted my friends accord and celica and mazda protege i just play around with the ebrake and weight transfer im only 15 so cant drive yet and well read read read....everthink on this site also i would by the drift bible well thats my 2 cent

thank you
                  Chase
                  Last edited by monkeymagic; 03-21-2004, 09:21 PM.

Comment

A safe place.

I first tested the concept in a video game. Go figure, lol, they are good for something. Check out Live For Speed if you want to have some virtual fun, outstanding physics model, and free for the demo.

Even before you start, you should really know your car. Know how it drives and behaves. It's kind of helpful if you've pushed it a little before you try drifting. That way you kind of understand its limits and are relatively competent driving.

Do some research on techniques and the physics behind drifting. Understand how it works.

After that, find a safe place to test ideas. Go to an open parking lot with plenty of open room. Find a couple back roads that are open and safe. There should be good visibility and low traffic. Sharper corners are easier to learn because of lower speed. You are also more forced to throw the cars weight around. You'll start to learn quickly but at lower speeds. You try virtual corners in parking lots too, get some cones. Start slow and sharp and go to fast and sweaping.

Use your head. Be smart. Be safe. Think about what you're doing and why things behave the way they do. If something is happening(good or bad), why is it doing it, how can a use it or change it to my advantage. When you understand the concepts, it's easy. Then you just need to practice them.

Finally, practice, practice, practice.

Comment

Working...
                    X