No announcement yet.

Mitsu Starion Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what years were the starions brought over here, what models are there (turbo, ES, you get the idea), and any other important information you can provide, thanks. I am seriously looking into one of these. Fast, Handles, and cheap....sounds great!

Comment

1987 Starion ESI-R:
      http://www.autotrader.com/research/m...&ac_afflt=none
      (drive says 2wd front, but that's wrong)

KBB's list of Starions and applicable pricing:
      http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.u...hi;Starion;hch

The reason there's so much torque is that you've got a 2.6l SOHC 4-cyl! That's the same displacement as the Skyline's RB26 but in 4 combustion chambers rather than 6! I know of a few people who own and love them, and if you rebuild everything right the first time then it will be a reliable car for you. If you buy one from a backyard on the cheap, expect to replace the motor down the line either with a rebuilt 2.6 or a 4G63T (a lot of work but well worth it).

Performance wise, if you rebuild the 2.6 you might be looking at 200-250hp and 300-500ft/lbs of torque (!) while a 4G63T from a DSM can be found at any motor importer and be boosted to oblivion, or you can swap in the 4G SOHC dual injector turbo model from the old Lancer Turbo Sedan (which essentially bolts in from what my sources say).

Handling is pretty much sewn up, you can get parts through starquest club or through various places in Europe and the UK - also picking up an issue of Retro Cars at Barnes & Noble or www.retrocars.co.uk (A&S publishing) will give you not only an awesome magazine but a guide to the retro tuners in the UK and free buy/sell ads in the back.

Good luck with the Star/Quest search!

-MR

Comment

sweet thancks...i'll pm you if i need any more info (probably will)

Comment

hey mranlet, clean out your pm box.

Comment

Good call - I didn't think I was that popular

-MR

Comment

ya about the head on the starquest...your right godfather they are notorious for blowing heads and the problem came up in the ridiculus EGR setup (exhaust gas recirculation). the heads over heated easily which usually led to cracking the seat between the intake and exhaust valve seats. also the fuel injector system is extremely cranky and hard to trouble shoot, most leak from the o-rings on the injectors.

Comment

What would you reccomend doing?

-MR

Comment

The Mitsu Starion is the same as the Dodge Conquest right? If this is so, why is the Starion RWD and the Conquest FWD?

Comment

well if you can get your hands on a used head then just have that one repaired or you could just use the one on your car and repair that one. if you have a chunk of change in your pocket, tep offers heads also:
                    http://racetep.com/starhead.html

and if your fuel injectors were leaking like mine replace the o-rings on them

Comment

Originally posted by 98BlueStang'
                      The Mitsu Starion is the same as the Dodge Conquest right? If this is so, why is the Starion RWD and the Conquest FWD?
                      Both are RWD - You might be thinking of the Dodge Daytona, they're turbo and FWD. Also, the Autotrader info says they're FWD, but it's wrong in that regard. All of the other info (curb weight, wheelbase, etc) is accurate though.

About the head issue:
                      So it's not that the head is particurlarly prone to blowing or is defective, but it's just that most of the cars are so old that this stuff happens, and the part that goes first is the head?

-MR

Comment

so then the Starion and the Conquest are the same car? Everything is the same?

Comment

Please never recommend TEP to anybody unless they have alot of money to blow. You can have new cast heast heads for much less and better flow. You can also remove the Jet valve which are the cause of the head cracking problem. But still not as good as a new one. There are a couple of alternatives for the fuel injection. starteing at around $400 for the intake + whatever E/M you choose.

Comment

dude i am a quest guy and i am running 12.9s on street tires with the stock two injectors. that car is a full interior also, i am in the process of guttin to build a drifter. suspension is the tough thing to come by... good coilovers done exsist but people are workin on it... you will love the quest or starion if you get one, but go 87 or newer it will save you in computer hassles..

Comment

no, go 88 pr 89. those years dont have a fuel cut like the 87 and earlier cars.

Comment

thats what i mean, maybe i didnt word that right... ooops.
                                hey phinko you still got any of those cool bumpers for the front of the quest or know where i could get one.

Comment

Working...
                                X