Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tsunami
    snip
    ps guys we gotta put the Ford vs Chevy business behind us cause these days its import vs domestic.
    it aint import Vs domsteic its ricers Vs people with IQs over 3

Comment

I say go with whichever one you like better. Both are capable of being good drift cars IMO, though it will be harder to tune the Mustang correctly since not alot of people have exterience setting them up to drift. You will ultimately be the happiest with the car YOU personally like the best. The Mustang will probably be the best bang for the buck as far as power, but remember that weight balance and suspension tune are more important for drifting. So the first mods I would do to the Mustang are chassis stiffening, weight reduction, and suspension work. Mustangs usually come with posi, so you'll be good there. The S13 will need the same types of mods, but since its a bit lighter than the Mustang and the weight balance is better, it will be more forgiving in stock form. Your first mods for the S13 would probably be LSD (posi), suspension work, and boltons (I/H/E). As with all drift cars, your tire selection will be the most important thing so keep that in mind regardless of which car you choose. As for the second question, I say go the two car route since drift cars usually get damaged. Its always good to have a reliable car you can use to get to work. Have fun!!

Comment

well whichever you go for I agree their both good cars. Its good that everyones getting into the drifting craze. Its tight that even the domestics want a piece of the Japanese craze. Makes drifting even more interesting.

Comment

Well, with the pony, it's not true posi, it's traction-lok.

Comment

The single most important thing you can do to a 5.0 is is strengthen the the chassis with subframe connectors. Also add a strut tower brace, new rear control arm bushings and caster/camber plates. These simple mods will make the car more controllable and give you much improved feedback. A good rollbar is also a very good idea. Here are a few things to look for in a good 5.0.

1. Get a model with the 5 lug wheels so that you have a wider wheel choice. I believe this change was made in 1989 or 90.
            2.Get a mass-air equipped model as they respond to modification much easier than speed density. Speed density models respond poorly to upgrades. Any cars newer than '90 will have mass air.
            3. Try and find a model that still has a good Trac-Lok rear axle. These LSD's require fluid to work and many have been burnt out due to poor maintenance. If you don't have access to a trac lock you can always install a locker.
            4. Make sure the car has good brakes. 5.0's have weak brakes from the factory.
            5. Don't buy expensive tires to drift on. Go with well-made budget tires or slightly used ones. As CrazyHawaiin said don't get tires from a junkyard that may have rotted. Just make sure the tires are safe to drive on. A spare set of wheels wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Most importatnly don't do expensive body or wheel mods because you will be tearing up alot of bumpers and fenders as you learn. And be safe while you learn

Comment

I can attest (right word?) to the subframe connectors. I recently had some welded into my Camaro, and it feels sooooo much better... it also helps the daily ride...

Comment

Yeah I wanna get some for my 'Bird to tighten up the old girl.

Comment

For the stangs -

5 lug was only available on the Cobra as far as fox body goes, unless you convert them yourself.

Mass air was introduced to all stangs in '89 ('88 for CA cars)
                  ** Speed density is faster stock VS stock, but Mass air systems are MUCH more adaptive to change in performance characterisitics**

Another thing to find a good hook up on is U joints.

My '91 sports KONI adjustables, MAC caster/camber kit, 5 lug conversion, Eibach springs, MAC strut tower brace, MSD igntion (coil - box), MAC fenderwell cold air intake, flex a lite black magic fan, King Cobra HD clutch, aluminium drive shaft and surprisingly, the stock exhaust. (waiting to do smog before change)

I've been playing in my canyons for almost 13 years now and all of a sudden, the ricers are trying to test me through there the last year or so....................... NO CHANCE

Comment

Originally posted by V8bosozoku

I've been playing in my canyons for almost 13 years now and all of a sudden, the ricers are trying to test me through there the last year or so....................... NO CHANCE
                    Hehe show 'em what the V8's are capable of
                    Ya got a very well-equipped 'Stang Bosozuko but I'm curious, how do you deal with the binding/oversteering problems with the stock rear suspension?
                    p.s. thanks for the help on the 5.0 info.

Comment

Those frickin Eibachs really helped with the steerability (pro-kit). Being able to adjust the Konis is a big help (many hours of testing )and just the right amount of acceleration through the apex assist with keeping the back from becoming the front.

PS- Also added a poly front end rebuild kit from PST and that helped out immensely.

Comment

Which every you like the best. You can show them what you can do with the stang if you bought one. I take the s13.

Comment

Originally posted by V8bosozoku
                          Those frickin Eibachs really helped with the steerability (pro-kit). Being able to adjust the Konis is a big help (many hours of testing )and just the right amount of acceleration through the apex assist with keeping the back from becoming the front.

PS- Also added a poly front end rebuild kit from PST and that helped out immensely.
                          Doood!! Get the panhard rod kit!! Man, talk about hookup. heheh. Been debating watts or panhard rod for the fox I'm getting in a few months. Just waiting on the sale of my MR2 first.

About S13vsFox, go with what you feel you wanna try. I'm constantly having to be different and right now, although the S13 is proven, you can't do much to it that won't make you totally illegal when you're making good power. And a SR conversion isn't exactly "reverseable" overnight. so..keep that in mind. Just weigh what you like about both and see what you're willing to sacrifice. For the sake of being different, I'm choosing a Foxxy Five point Oh.

Comment

240SX is a fun car and easy to handle...

Mustang would would be cheaper.... the Mustang aftermarket and junk yard cars FAR exceeds the 240SX...

all depends on what you like.

Comment

Originally posted by driftfreak
                              it aint import Vs domsteic its ricers Vs people with IQs over 3
                              Hahaha... yeah. I guess IQs around 3 are the result of sniffing too much NOS!!!
                              Last edited by bdjoe; 03-28-2004, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X