Another newbie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another newbie.

Hey. I'm another newbie and I just thought I would give everyone a little introduction. First off...I'm not a drifter yet, I'm not even a poser. However, I have been following drifting very intently over the last 3 years or so, but I just haven't really had the money to get started.

I'm a huge automotive enthusiasts, and motorsports fan. I don't care about a cars' year model or it's country of origin. A sick car, is a sick car. As for motorsports, I discovered F1 when I was 16. It was the 1994 GP of Monaco. That was the weekend that Karl Wendlinger had his horrible accident. And just a fortnight after Roland Ratzenberger and Aryton Senna died. I remember talking my Mom into letting me stay home and not going to Sunday School so that I could watch the whole race. It was also the first time that I saw Michael Shumacher. I saw him a lot because he won that race. So naturally to this day I am a huge Shumacher fan. That race started it all for me.

Anyway. Like I said, I haven't had the money to start drifting. But I have finished up with school, and hopefully soon I will have some extra money. Right now I have a '95 Camaro with a V6, and an automatic. The engine and transmission are tired. It has no LSD, plus it is underpowered and overweight. I've had it forever, it was a gift from my parents. But right now, I am looking for an S14. So hopefully very soon everything will come together.

I just want everyone to know, that yes I am new to this forum, and I haven't even started drifting yet. And as a skater I know how it feels to see the exploitation of your lifestyle bring in so many new people. A few of them are cool, but a lot of them are just in it for the minute, and some are just posers. I just want you to know, that I understand that. And because of that I am going to try very hard to do everything I can to remain respectful to those who were here way before me.

Welcome to the board, Seems you know your stuff... I don like shumacher though, F1 has neat cars, but not really good racing. I'm a fan of just about all forms of racing with the exception of, Stock car racing and Drag racing. Have fun and learn somthing new...

Comment

Welcome to the boards.

I think this is the best newbie post I've ever read

Comment

I second that!

Welcome to Drifting.com

I'd think the Camero you've got would be a good start if you don't mind pushing it a little. It may not be too easy to drift on the street cause they do have good traction and that v6 has no power, lol. Try to find some gravel back roads to play on. You can start learning there pretty easy with a low power car. Gravel should be a little easier on your drivetrain and tires as well.

Sounds like you've had your Camero for a while, so you should understand it well. You should feel comfortable pushing that car and learning some of the basics. At least play with it till you get yourself a newer 240sx.

Comment

I have a pretty good time when it rains. And I have gotten accustomed to having the tail hang out a little. But it requires large amounts of throttle input in dry conditions which makes for a very abrubt loss of traction.

I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of vehichle dynamics, so I don't feel too overwhelmed. I know the parts, and how they work. It should just be a matter of training my body to do the correct things. I'm excited though. There is so much too learn, and more than anything I am just anxious too really get started in a more serious manner.

Comment

Originally posted by WildSe7en
            Welcome to the boards.

I think this is the best newbie post I've ever read
            Yep.

Comment

Welcome to the board always good to see a new face around here. Drifting is a great sport, you'll enjoy it, as for the fact that you're new, i think you'll find that as long as you come in with the right attitude, which you seem to have done, you will be welcome in this community, basically just go have fun with your car. that's what it's all about wether you drift or grip or drag, whatever you do if it's fun and you like it, keep at it =). anyway welcome to the board and keep up the positive attitude, any questions feel free to ask although i'm outclassed as far as skill and knowledge by a lot of people on here i can maybe help a little with theories and whatnot

Comment

all the friendliness. this is an enthusiast forum at its best. welcome man

Comment

Friendliness indeed! Thanks for the welcome everybody.

Comment

If your new to drifting check out my Drifting 101 threads

http://www.drifting.com/forums/forum...?s=&forumid=43

and have fun

Comment

Thanks. Those are already really helpful. And according to number three I might be a begining drifter. I have yet to use any e-brake/side brake though.

Comment

indeed, alot of guys with manual transmission start out with a clutch manuver, but the principal is the same, start out at the apex when your learning and work your way back, when your car turns before the carner and you counter steer into it, then your drifting. I will make some more advanced sections as well, But those three i feel are the best starting points wether you have a FF a FR a open differential, a LSD, alot of power, or very little. its pretty universsal.

Comment

I have an open diff and an automatic. I just do a little feint and plant the throttle. This works really well when it rains, and naturally requires far less throttle, and actually allows me to balance it for a second, instead of just mashing the go pedal down down. I'm talking little powerslides at best here. Nothing special by any means, and really far cry from a true drift. But I would be hard pressed to do much more with my lack practice, skill, and my current setup. I'm having fun and learning. Plus the speeds are relatively low, so it isn't as dangerous as it could be. I'm real methodical at how I go about things. I'm the same way on a skateboard. I'll get it, a little bit at a time.

Comment

i too have the auto and open dif in my 240sx. Follow those steps i have outlined and practice in a safe area. Its good to work with as many different techniques as possible, the power over and hand brake drifts are among the first you learn. with an auto once you feel comfortable at higher speeds around 40-50 then you will want to get into weight transfer techniques. Fients and Floor braking techniques

Comment

I feel like I am on the right track. Thanks for all of your help so far. Right now though, it is past by bedtime. So I will talk to you fellas later.

Comment

Working...
                              X