Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drift or what?

ok
    well i got a toughy of a question for all you folks out there.
    I am fairly sure about buying an 86 for my car.
    i mean there cheap, not hard to get parts, and fun.
    the fun factor is the most part for me. I was gonna get a 240 but then i thought well if i ever crash the money i put into it would be blown so i couldnt repair. plus id be afraid to push it.

so back to the question
    If i had a hachi with about 300+ horses i know id have a hot drifter.(maybee too hot ) but i was wondering if once it was made to drift could i do anything elese. I live about 20 min away from portland international raceway (pir) and a couple of ovals
    and i though hrmm.
    if my car was for drifting could i run the track normally or would i tend to oversteer too much to handle it.
    and also with over 300 horses i could potentially have a very fast hachi so i would like to be able to drag evry now and then but i dont know if id like get loose and slam into the wall?

ok last question
    if i wanted to go fast like on a long straitaway
    would my gearing be too tight with that much power
    if so how could i change this

thanks !

k. first things first. you're never going to get that 86 to put out more than 300hp. just not possible unless you have like a LOT of money and are of like D1 level. lol. problem with 86's are they're underpowered. you can get it around like 210-240hp with a 4AG still in it but like unless your RICH it wont happen. =\ there's always an SR20 swap for like 6K. lol. expensiveness.

Comment

So many things to adress,

AE86, is a nice car, realiable car and old. But in no way does it mean its cheap. Latly the prices have been skyrocketed through out the import tuning community. $100 corollas are being sold for upwards of 2K. The parts, avaible they are... cheap they are not. The AE86 is FUN...its fun about everything...FUN to drive, FUN to drift and FUN to fix.

4-AG(E), is a 16 Valve DOHC engine, with the correct tuning and optuim output of a rebuilt engine. it could reach upwards of 300hp N\A. That would cost a amazing amount of money probly reseverd for race teams and rich kids. The problem with pushing high power to the chassis of the AE86 is its weakness. Its not stiff... its quite flexy compared todays cars.

The great thing about building a mild AE86 is, it can be everything. with a decent suspension, mild engine mods but still under 200hp and with brake upgrades. It could tackle, canyons, drift's, gymkhana and track days.

Two ways could change your gearing, either buy new gears. or a new final drive ratio.

Comment

i could get 300 horses easy
        hks big *Censored**Censored**Censored* turbo
        680 cc injectors
        that alone will put me at like 235
        (with the ususal turbo and fuel stuff im not gonna list it)

Comment

Big turbo=big lag. You could probably get 235 N/A. It would be costly, but so would what you're planning with the turbo, which is going to require an engine rebuild. Because I'd imagine a big turbo would blow an old stock 4AG bottom end into smitherenes.

So back to the point. You could probably get 235 N/A. Isn't Ueo's rated around 225 or something like that? I'd imagine that since horsepower is nothing but a number. HP=Torque x RPM/5252 I think. That little four is no torque monster so it is going to have to make that power by spinning at high RPM. Basically agressive camshafts. So now you have a powerful but peaky engine. My suggestion, since you obviously plan on spending lots of money. Engine rebuild+supercharger.

Comment

i dont plan to keep it naturally aspirated
            its basically impossible to mess with the chassis to increase strength without totally changing the balance isnt it?

Comment

Indeed if you want a drift and drag car, i would suggest a KA24 powered 240sx, With a turbo kit. The big displacement will allow you to run a good sized turbo with out much lag and make some serious horse power numbers with out too much lag, so it will still make a decent drift car.

Or consider a mustang or camaro. Not the normal drifters but they can move fast, hella fast.

Comment

the lag problem can be solved
                i wasnt talking huge boost
                i figured around 20-25psi
                have you seen turbosmart products
                the wastegates and pressure releases would make it better
                the key would be a boost controller which from turbosmart allows boost to come on around 15-25% faster depending on the boost
                by keeping pressure constant then releasing with the accllerator
                with over boring i thing i could also solve a little bit of the engine blowup factor.
                I have around 15k to spend after the car
                maybee more if i get my grades up
                lol

Comment

ok if you want to build a AE86 for a fun dule use car..its easy
                  while there not to competitive in ITA they are still fun cars and IT is a great way to get your feet wet in racing
                  www.improvedtouring.com for more info
                  as for 300HP...well be happy with 100HP as your more likeley to see that then 300(as stock AE86 make about 80HP to the wheels)
                  but ya there fun cars..but first put your money into fixing all the little things that are wrong and doing basic matnance on it..

Comment

ur thinkin of an sr5
                    im getting a corolla gt-s
                    there around 125

Comment

ugh.
                      this again eh?

Comment

So what is considered big boost these days? 25psi is almost 2bar. I know some of the drag guys are probably running 30 or more, but for only a few seconds at a time.

Also I don't see how overboring is going to solve any reliability issues. All you are doing is thinning some probably already thin cylinder walls. And the more surface area your piston has the greater the chance of detonation. I'm not trying to be a downer or tell you not to do it. I think it would be sick if or when you pull this engine build off. I'm just spouting off possible trouble areas.

Comment

trust dont feel bad
                          im pretty new to most of this stuff so anything helps

Comment

my car i think will be an 86 that will stand out a little
                            one because of the power
                            two because of the boost
                            three because of the versitility

basically i want a car to do everything except rally race and look nice while doing it

while its probally dangerous i will do a ton of research before executing this

Comment

I will tell you this. It is possible to get big power from most any engine. The theories, and principles don't change, because of it's displacement. I'd see no reason that you couldn't build this thing to as much as 500 hp. I don't know how long it would last, but it could be done. To put it simply, it is just a matter of how much air you can into the the cylinder head, mixed and combusted, and out.

Comment

Working...
                              X