ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

with the drifting scene becoming mainstream...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• with the drifting scene becoming mainstream...

What parts do you guys wanna see come over more often? What kinds of things do you hope become more mainstream/cheep/imported?

I'm hoping more RWD compacts come out. I don't think a single US automaker even has a compact RWD out now except something like the S2000

Miata
    s2000
    solstice in a year or so

these are all great cars, and the solstice is really cheap, but there all roadsters. What we want to see are some cheap sport coupes in the fashion of the 240sx or so.

Of course no japanese manufacturer really still makes cars like that.

I would like to see a return to inexpensive sports cars. Thats what i want to see come out of drifting. A car the price of the cheapest Scions, except with a traditional rwd lay out and decent handling, and preferable a peppy engine. doesnt even have to be big

Comment

Wasn't there a thread about GM making 8 new rwd cars in the future? I could see Dodge easily coming out with something in the future. Dodge has been really pushing the sports car/sports truck category. They should naturally progress to a rwd platform(hopefully). Dodge is the only company that I could see build a small rwd car in the future. As far as anything actually happening? Eh, don't know.

Comment

i don't know if there was a thread, but Car and Driver did an article (it might have been auto week or one of those other mags) on all the new pontiac/dodge/mopar cars that will be RWD coming out shortly.. it really seems that most of them are appealing to the younger crowd, and most of them are pretty close to 50/50 weight distro.

Comment

I could careless about cars. I have no money to buy new ones he he. I would like to see more local tracks to be open. For both DRAG and Circuit track. I would like to see someday that every weekend, I can just go with my helmet, 2 spare tires and a car with full tank to go racing/drifting with atleast no waiting.

Can you see the irony here. Japan is just an island and they have more local tracks (big and small) than US.

That's what I want to see.

Comment

^I wish for that too

For now, the back roads are my tracks, lol.

Comment

I don't think it is going to be just drifting that is going to force these automakers to make reardrive cars. Rear drive is the ideal layout, not just for drifting but for performance oriented driving in general. Auto enthusiasts have been complaining about the lack of reardrive vehicles for at least a couple of decades. Long before anyone, at least in this country knew what drifting was. Performance started coming back in the 90s, and now it looks like the auto manufacturers may finally be taking notice that we want reardrive. That we think understeer, and torque steer sucks! I think that drifting may be the final push that all auto enthusiasts have been needing. Especially for more affordable sportscars. I mean, all of the nice sports cars, and exotics have always been reardrive...that never changed.

Before we go around thinking that drifters brought affordable reardrive back. Keep in mind that these new platforms have been in development for the last couple of years. The true enthusiasts have been waiting for this for a long time. The best thing about this is; All it is going to take is for one manufacturer to have an affordable F/R sports coupe that is a runaway success. At least one other manufacturer will follow suit. After that, hopefully more will follow. Maybe affordable reardrive sports cars, will become the new SUVs. That would be so sick. Could you imagine if every manufacturer had at least five rear drive cars geared towards true enthusiasts in their lineup?

Comment

Cheap and RWD... the SMART coupe! From what Ive heard, its got decent handling, the styling is pretty cool, but they are having issues with reliablility. But, on the upside, Dodge has been considering bringing the car to the US and marketing it as the Dodge Slingshot. Acceleration and power arent exactly it's big things, it has a 3 cyl engine, but its really small and light, and so modest power increases will have a lot more of an effect on it than on a heavier car.

Comment

im in mainland japan and i dont know about any tracks in my area...theres just places people fool around in yokohama

Comment

Chrysler also has the Crossfire out now. It looks a little more luxury oriented, but still compact and relatively light, and not horribly expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by TRusst
                      I don't think it is going to be just drifting that is going to force these automakers to make reardrive cars. Rear drive is the ideal layout, not just for drifting but for performance oriented driving in general. Auto enthusiasts have been complaining about the lack of reardrive vehicles for at least a couple of decades. Long before anyone, at least in this country knew what drifting was. Performance started coming back in the 90s, and now it looks like the auto manufacturers may finally be taking notice that we want reardrive. That we think understeer, and torque steer sucks! I think that drifting may be the final push that all auto enthusiasts have been needing. Especially for more affordable sportscars. I mean, all of the nice sports cars, and exotics have always been reardrive...that never changed.

Before we go around thinking that drifters brought affordable reardrive back. Keep in mind that these new platforms have been in development for the last couple of years. The true enthusiasts have been waiting for this for a long time. The best thing about this is; All it is going to take is for one manufacturer to have an affordable F/R sports coupe that is a runaway success. At least one other manufacturer will follow suit. After that, hopefully more will follow. Maybe affordable reardrive sports cars, will become the new SUVs. That would be so sick. Could you imagine if every manufacturer had at least five rear drive cars geared towards true enthusiasts in their lineup?
                      You mean like in japan in early and mid 90s? how many rear wheel drive nissans were there? yeah it must of sucked then, sucked hard.

Comment

Only the three. Ha ha! But in America, we had no GTS-T, the 300ZX was overweight and overpriced, and the 240SX had fluid filled bushings so that it would appeal to female drivers.

Comment

And a truck engine! How did I forget about that?

Comment

the three?

Skyline GT-S
                            300ZX
                            Silvia
                            180sx
                            leopard
                            abunch of sedans like 4 of them

man nissan was producing tons of RWD stuff in the 90s. Most of its has been drifted too

oh right you said in america. Well we got a few Infinitis as well that were RWD. but the point is in Japan they had lots of good stuff, so did other manufacturers, but they are dissapearing.

Comment

Originally posted by TRusst
                              And a truck engine! How did I forget about that?
                              Nothing wrong with the KA motor, just needed a factory forced induction system or some better cam shafts and tunning. Dont forget the KA gives us the most displacement with out a big weight increase of all the motors put in S chassis cars. Honestly you think a CA18DET was all that much faster in a straight line stock then the KA24DE? god forbid a naturally aspirated CA or SR motor. It just gives S series nissan enthusiest another option for there cars. And more options is always good.... Either way i feel im taking the thread off course

Comment

Working...
                              X