No announcement yet.

America trying to re-invent drifting???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America trying to re-invent drifting???

I dont see what the United States is tryign to do with drifting... Drifting was invented on the touge and brought to the cities by street racers... The only way it works on a track is to have it on tracks like the tight cart tracks they use in japan. Why are we, or shud i say big companies, trying to take it off the tight and windy tracks of Japan and onto the ovals of NASCAR. Even the currently existing road courses they want to use are so long and there is only at the most 3 turns to drift together to make a run. Over here drifting has developed into some kind of big show merely being used to milk it of as much cash as possible. In USA all u hear is "keep it off the streets, keep it off the streets.." Drifting was born on the streets and it will stay on the streets.

Ask yourself how does a parking lot compair to ebisu circut ???

Just wat i think is happening to the US drift scene...

How do you get those little cars for an avatar?

Comment

i made it

Comment

Oh. In that case...Guess who is never gonna have one?

Comment

Yea keep it off the streets. Thats the disclaimer. Think of it this way. The Navy's policy of "dont ask, dont tell" applies in the Drifting world as well.

Comment

yea but im saying if they want u too keep it off the streets so bad then why do they offer u crap to do it on, and at the same time turn professional drifting into a big side show used to get companies that aernt even into drifting big dollas

Comment

I would say that the main reason is that America is littered with oval tracks. Because it it the most popular form of motorsport over here. There is no accounting for bad taste. Japan has always been more into road racing, and togues. So naturally, they built these smaller tracks to simulate driving touges, probably to keep people off of them. But naturally, people are always going to take it to the streets. Mainly for convenience. There are dragstrips all over the country. I know of two quarter mile strips around me, but both are nearly two hours away. So until every city and town has it's own raceway...you can rest assured that people will keep doing it in the streets. And even if, every town and city had a raceway, there would still be those who would race in the streets.

Comment

Over here drifting has developed into some kind of big show merely being used to milk it of as much cash as possible.
                That's just American capitalism at it's finest, what did you expect was going to happen?

Comment

Quick history lesson.....

Everyone keeps on saying different things about where drifting was invented.

First off things like drifting are not invented, they EVOLVE.

Second, blanket statements like, "drifting came from the touge in japan....." are categorically wrong.

Drifting evolved in several places and at several different times and in different ways. Rally and stunt driving have been around all over europe way before the second world war. Even NASCAR here in the states (in no way similar to NASCAR now) was very much like rally and evolved from moonshine runners during prohibition and continued in areas throughout the south where it is still illegal to buy or sell liquor. Stunt driving (probably closest thing to modern show drifitng) has also been around ever since the first cars were produced (over 100 years).

Yes, the japanese are the only group that ever called mountain racing touge (until recently) but they by no means had a monopoly on illegal unsanctioned mountain pass races---they have been happning ever since there were roads and cars in any part of the world with mountains.

Maybe the japanese are responsible for the most current resurgence of popularity of drifting. But to have invented drift----HA!!

Check it at the door folks
                  I'm like FOX news except I REALLY am fair and Unbiased

Comment

Originally posted by jboss
                    Quick history lesson.....

Everyone keeps on saying different things about where drifting was invented.

First off things like drifting are not invented, they EVOLVE.

Second, blanket statements like, "drifting came from the touge in japan....." are categorically wrong.

Drifting evolved in several places and at several different times and in different ways. Rally and stunt driving have been around all over europe way before the second world war. Even NASCAR here in the states (in no way similar to NASCAR now) was very much like rally and evolved from moonshine runners during prohibition and continued in areas throughout the south where it is still illegal to buy or sell liquor. Stunt driving (probably closest thing to modern show drifitng) has also been around ever since the first cars were produced (over 100 years).

Yes, the japanese are the only group that ever called mountain racing touge (until recently) but they by no means had a monopoly on illegal unsanctioned mountain pass races---they have been happning ever since there were roads and cars in any part of the world with mountains.

Maybe the japanese are responsible for the most current resurgence of popularity of drifting. But to have invented drift----HA!!

Check it at the door folks
                    I'm like FOX news except I REALLY am fair and Unbiased
                    you have a good point touge is very much like a tarmack stage rally

but they did give all the types of drifts names and such and realy put it all together into the packege we call drifting not that other sports dint e.g. rallying

Comment

I think maybe you are over reacting. I mean what oval tracks are they using? just irwindale as far as i know, but irwindale was probably one of the only tracks that would give drifting a chance. We dont really have many road racing tracks, however dispite that there have been drift events on alot of them. Buttonwillow raceway not far from me ocasionally has a small drift event. In a few years if drifting and other forms of motorsports that envolve twisty tracks continue to gain in popularity, then expect more road courses to pop up.

One thing i am sick of hearing is about how mean ol america is commericalizing the purely uncommercal sport of drifting. Ask DriftXtream if its uncommercal. Hell thats how he makes his living. Nothing wrong with it. ask any of the D1 drivers if its uncommercal? even in the holy land of japan.. Hey i like japan as much as the next guy but they are as commercal if not more so then america!

People come on here too and complain "look at this american initial d merchandise, there trying to commercalize it!" ever see the japanese initial D merchandise? go to ebay and check it out. if you think the japanese arent commercal then i have only one thing to say, hello kitty vibrator.

You act like american companys are only in it for the money, but japanese companys are all about the drifitng.. Right.. perhaps the companys started by drivers may be about the drifting, but most those companys are about the money, thats how companys work.

I've made several post, rather rants, about subjects like these. Most of them can be basicly summed up with this "I hate the whole 'if it aint JDM its crap' idea most drifters seem to have, whats even worse then that, is they have that attitude, but then will call someone a ricer for saying JDM"

Japan isnt some holy pure land free of commercalism, And America isnt some evil empire out to commercalize everything and ruin its real meaning.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle and both countrys are very similar.

And as for the keep it off the street thing. Ghost hit it on the nail. Especially on *gasp* commercal sites like this. You know how americans are, some 16 year old gets him self killed, and instead of understanding the responsibility lies with there kid, the parents come and sue the innocent guys running this site. Same goes for tv shows and media coverage.

The fact is the drifting scene in america is young, you as a drifter have the power to shape it for the better. But not threw complaints, threw your own attitude and actions.

Comment

america simply wants to see them (go big) but what they fail to relize is that drifto is not about going 130 into one long turn, its about the skills of driving on tight curvy roaads,so fuuu k coprate america and its clones, lets do it right and murder those tight aas tarmac.(yes you bitches on the fkn street),hey im not saying that mad speed into a mile turn isnt sik but come on a round fkn track for d1.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24

The fact is the drifting scene in america is young, you as a drifter have the power to shape it for the better. But not threw complaints, threw your own attitude and actions.
                          Damn straight thats why we gotta build the tracks ourselves. People say why don't they build more road like tracks. Whos "they", the people with the money. How much does pavement cost. How much land would it take. I don't think it would take much more then an acre for a nice tight drift course. Everybodys gotta start turnin their backyards into driftlands. Start raising funds, get people involed. Make it happen. Thats what I wanna do. And everyone here can come for free.

BTW Very well said Nissan guy
                          Last edited by Emagdnim; 04-09-2004, 03:32 PM.

Comment

^Hey I like that! Good idea.

I thought the same way about gokart tracks when I was younger.

Comment

Yeah, America is a capitalist nation and we're proud of it. Any Tom *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* or Marry(for the ladies) can start their own business and be a part of America's great capitalist economy. We aren't the only ones though. Money is money, business is business and they will always go together reguardless. America, Japan, Afganistan, business all like to have a piece of the pie.

Comment

Working...
                              X