Why on Earth a VIPER?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...&threadid=5250

mods closed this thread even thought the question has not been answered! IF the viper is illegal according to formula d requlations, why is it allowed to compete? I dont care what car it is. It could be a lambo, farrari, bougatti, 2000 hp rb powered supra for all i care as long as it is within the perameters of the rules and regulations set!

What is the formula d governing body? how can they be reached? whom is the person/people to talk to, complain to, or petition to have these rules followed by EVERYONE!

Comment

• I found them! Here are the Formula D Rules right out of the RULE BOOK.

---------

Eligible Vehicles:

A)Any 2 or 4 door coupe, sedan or sports car.
      B)Must be a production car with a minimum build run of 250 units
      C)Must maintain original unibody or frame
      D)Vehicles that do not meet the above criteria must be approved by the series.
      Eligible Vehicles:

If this is the case, the viper is eligible cuz it has a higher build run then 250 units and it maintains the original unibody and frame off the stock viper.

hmm....

Comment

• slipstream global marketing

15285 Alton Pkwy Suite 100

Irvine, Ca 92618

tel. 949.341.9181 fax. 949.341.9182

info@slipstreamglobal.com

Im about to make a professional inquiry

Comment

• how interesting.

i dont really see the problem with the viper though. its kinda like nomuken's car. big and heavy. dont get me wrong though cause both of the drivers are good.

maybe they'll drift jgtc style cars soon.

Comment

• Street car
            http://www.dodge-vipers.com/04srt10.html

Factory built, NOT highway legal race car
            http://www.dodge-vipers.com/03compcoupe.html

Street car
            http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/ni...0_1/photo/770/

company built-up, street LEGAL drift car
            http://www.blitz.co.jp/d1gp/d1-34spec2004.htm

Comment

• viper

here's an interesting quote from the specs on the competition coupe:

"A full complement of racing enhancements, including cage, window net, fire-suppression system, six-point restraints, racing slicks, differential cooler and ducted brakes ensure that the Dodge Viper Competition Coupe is track-ready as delivered. The Viper Competition Coupe cannot be titled for highway use"

hmmm...sounds fishy to me that the viper is allowed to compete...the real test will come when D1 comes around. we'll see then if D1 will hold its ground and enforce their rules. By the way, for me i have a problem with the viper competing, not Sam. Sam's a great driver and i think he would kick a$$ in anything he pilots.

Comment

• Originally posted by my 1 88 u
                Street car
                http://www.dodge-vipers.com/04srt10.html

Factory built, NOT highway legal race car
                http://www.dodge-vipers.com/03compcoupe.html

Street car
                http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/ni...0_1/photo/770/

company built-up, street LEGAL drift car
                http://www.blitz.co.jp/d1gp/d1-34spec2004.htm
                whats ur point?

viper comp coupe is based off the stock viper which has a production of over 3000+.

the steel tubular frame is nothing different than the stock viper. the added tubes inside the comp coupe are for the FIA rollcage.

based on formula d rules, this car looks fine. right?

anyway, im willing to bet that a S13, S14 or AE86 are probably easier to drift than the Viper which puts it at a disadvantage. big horsepower doesn't mean ur going to win in drifting. it takes a great driver. just my $.02

Comment

• my point

in that case i guess my post is moot...except for my thoughts on sam

Comment

• $%)(*$% the MOPAR... The Viper is making drifting mainstream. This is going to ruin the sport. Drifting is all about being grassroot POS cars and how sideways you can hold your car. That Viper didn't belong on the track.

I agree. The GTO was cool though. I really like Rhys Millen. Heck, I got to shake his hand in the pits before his second qualification run.

The El Camino was a perfect example of what American drifting should be all about. The Viper pissed me off.

Anyways,
                    Matt.

Comment

• I've found a rule it does break.

Number Built: 25 per year

Even if they were selling 25 per year from 95,it would still only be 225.Anyways,it showed up in 2000 as a concept car correct.That means production started at 60 units in 2001 correct? Then at most shouldn't there only be around 240 of those cars as of right now? And the minimum is 250 being produced.

If Mopar has the money to throw a $100,000 dollar car at Formula D for competition,assuming the risks behind it,costs,etc.Then they have the money to pay off Slipstream to get into Formula D as well,even pay off judges if they wanted to.

Comment

• So many of you guys are off the wall.

I see Ghost sees the truth.

Sponsorship is the natural evolution of this sport.

Also, there are more than 3 car companies that are sponsoring, or in process of working out drifting deals.

Yes, that many. It's not just GM and DaimlerChrysler. There are more.

So, to hate someone because they have a vehicle sponsor is silly. I personally know of an impending deal that would put Rhy's and Sam's yearly sponsored racing budget to shame.

There are people in the sport that will get things settled, including the Viper CC. This is only the first year.

So, give it time before all the hateraide gets passed around.

Comment

• viper

we'll see how D1 interprets there rule of maintaining OEM unibody structure:

"1. Each car must maintain the OEM uni-body structure, pipe frame extensions and replacements are not allowed. "

I know the viper is an "oem" tube frame structure but it will be interesting to see how D1 goes about this.

Comment

• FYI, Viper Comp Coupes goes for about $140k each.

Full carboned body panels. There are quite a number of them that runs at the local open track club I run with.

Also, for those that talk about how cheap the D1 cars are, well, it's deeper than skin deep.

Don't think of the initial cost. Think of all the R&D money thrown into it.

For example, Revolver 86. Wonder how much that 200rwhp 4AGE cost, and how much $$$ was spent developing it? It's far from stock, running a Nissan SR20DET's Cam angle sensor, coil pack, and from what I could tell, a Nissan control system (ecu). That's so far from stock that it's not even funny.

What I can't wait for is for a full fledge BMW factory sponsored team. That and a Jaguar XJR drift team. (With the popularity of drifting catching on in Europe, it will happen soon.).

Comment

• Originally posted by Craftsman
                              $%)(*$% the MOPAR... The Viper is making drifting mainstream. This is going to ruin the sport. Drifting is all about being grassroot POS cars and how sideways you can hold your car. That Viper didn't belong on the track.

I agree. The GTO was cool though. I really like Rhys Millen. Heck, I got to shake his hand in the pits before his second qualification run.

The El Camino was a perfect example of what American drifting should be all about. The Viper pissed me off.

Anyways,
                              Matt.

Yeah, i see ur point. yet there are many grassroots drift events out there like driftshowoff, driftextreme, etc etc. there are tons of grassroots events for drifters.

lets be real. this sport has gotten the attention of many ppl outside of the enthusiasts. this means the sport is going to develop into something bigger than just grassroots. thats the truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Feint
                                I've found a rule it does break.

Number Built: 25 per year

Even if they were selling 25 per year from 95,it would still only be 225.Anyways,it showed up in 2000 as a concept car correct.That means production started at 60 units in 2001 correct? Then at most shouldn't there only be around 240 of those cars as of right now? And the minimum is 250 being produced.

If Mopar has the money to throw a $100,000 dollar car at Formula D for competition,assuming the risks behind it,costs,etc.Then they have the money to pay off Slipstream to get into Formula D as well,even pay off judges if they wanted to.
                                there are 3000+ vipers built a year. the viper comp coupe is listed as a trim level of the production viper. this gives it the production run it needs to qualify.

BY THE WAY, before everyone starts hatin on the viper cuz its hella expensive...LETS NOT FORGET that the Pontiac GTO that Rhys drifts is WAY more expensive than the Viper in competition form. production yes, less expensive. competitively though, the GTO is way more expensive.

and if ur concerned about sponsorships, than more ppl should be hatin on the GTO. GM gives that program tons more than the mopar deal from what i heard.

Comment

Working...
                                X