before drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• before drifting?

ok... its like 5:30 in the morning and i havent gone to sleep. so. im going to start a topic that i hope reaches at least 10 pages because im actually curious about your reply to the following question.

what were you doing before you ever heard of drifting? im talking about what you did in/with your car people. not i went to work instead of staying home all day on drifting.com because it exists now. what scene were you in? this topic only applies to people that own cars license or not. sorry pat.. did you drag race? did you have a show car? instead of drifting what would you probably still be doing? again car owners only. i guess if you found out about drifting before you got your car it doesnt count either.sorry.

**EDIT**
    alright screw what i said before... the question is now open to anybody and everybody. basically like i said before what did you do before you knew about drifting.

I used to drive a 68 camaro(still have it), andI was trying to see how quick I could make it for cheap. I did low 13s at the drag track with a 3 speed, and I was trying to find an auto cross club in the north carolina area. I did dumb stuff on the street here and there, and once or twice, I got it sideways on exit ramps and curvy back roads. Not that it was real drifting, but it was fun and fast. After I burned out the clutch twice due to a bad pressure plate, I went through a bunch of crap cars and moved to Ohio.
    I bought a chevette for $200 and bought a playstation and Auto modelista. Someone told me Auto Modelista kinda looked like
    a show called Initial D and......

don't even act like some of you didn't get it from The "D".
    Dude, I read super street so I'm legit now. XP

Comment

EH screw Chris. I don't have a car yet but i'll tell ya n e ways. Before Drifting I was into going to like H.I.N and crap like that. Also, I knew ALOT about Honda's. I really don't remember much about them anymore but oh well.

Comment

I used to laugh my arse off at the Fast and the Furious movie.. I still do, but its just funnier now.

I used to think car mods (especiallybody kits) were showy and pricy. To some extent they still are, but I like in drifting that if you have body kits you're probably good or have some $!.. or just very careful..

In other words before drifting I wasn't into much special driving/racing. I became interested because what the car DOES is fancy, not what you've done to the car.

Aside from that I was interested in muscle cars, still am.

Comment

Before drifting I was and still am into having fun on the twisties. I've never really been into drag racing but I remember being about 10 and loving F1, WRC, and other road racing, especially the LeMans lower classes because the cars looked like real streetcars. I've been into Japanese cars forever also because my parents always told me they were the only ones that lasted a long time and weren't as expensive to fix as some euro cars. I love FF cars also, I don't hate any car they all serve their purpose. By the way anything I'm into I try too find out as much as possible and usually never move on. Right now i'm into cars, computers, car audio, bmx, art, music, etc. By the way I know quite abit about car audio, and yes my ae86 will have a "SYSTEM".

Comment

I used to run supplies for a few of the local familys... but i cant really talk about that.

Mostly i was into general performance, probably more in the area of drag racing, and moutain roads.

Comment

before i got into drifting..i was still messing round in the canyons, auto cross and open trak events...
              I did drag for a while when i was young and dumb..but at least ihad the right car for it, a 73 charger with a 7.2L(440 cu.in.) V8, ran mid to low 11s and it had only a few mods. not like some hondas that you need to drop 5Gs in the motor to run 12s..I maybe had 5Gs in the car including buying it but i got bored with that car quick cause it would scrape its door handles going round corners..

Comment

I was into the offroad truck racing scene. i had a little tacoma and had the $ and plans to pre-runner it out. But before I did, i was goin around the corners kicking second gear (=shift lock; although i didnt know it at the time) and thought it was bad *Censored**Censored**Censored*. that was about all I knew about sliding my truck. THEN I saw Initial D, figured out what i was actually doing, and tried a couple canyon runs in my area in my truck. lol.

Comment

Muscle cars, going to car shows, street racing, and doing burnouts every 30 seconds.... oh and uncorking the headers to wake up everybody in a 10 mile radius

....then i learned about turning

Comment

(Mods, you can delete my post because i went against the "thread starters" rules of posting here "(I dont have a car)

before i got into drifting...

I used to skateboard with friends (who got me smoking)
                    I used to smoke it up...XD (there was nothing to do)
                    I was into alot of Anime, usually on mIRC, but then later on i started using Bit Torrent...I was into Asian movies, Esp. Honk kong flicks...I also drew alot of anime back then too, I played alot of rpg's and was a real bum. Yeah i saw FnF and all that *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*, I thought it was all cool and new, but still i never hung out with anyone who was a "Street racer" After watching FnF i saw how it changed US everything was rebelious, kids with civics, thinking they were the coolest thing on the street since spinners..also I really found how stupid everything in that specific culture was and how i never really wanted to go that way...
                    I remmember thinking of how the new culture here is influenced greatly by the japanese...I sat there and wondered if the Japanese did stuff like this or if they had something new that they have been doing,or have started doing...Yeah I saw initial D too - (you watch it, you love it, you talk about it, in the end a cartoon is going to be a cartoon)

my older cousin who got me into anime and video games showed me most of it, that was awhile back to maybe...er 1999?

That really got me going, everything from what cars they were using, how they tuned suspension, how they got the car to slide, everything just blew me away, thats when i knew that i would not be driving a front wheel drive car...

I've had my permit for a full year almost...Well June 5th ill have my real license..so I guess i can't say full year yet. I drive alot, i dont think of it as hard as i did before. I'm 16 right now..maybe a month now(March 24th) ..but for some reason last year i waited for my permit...i wasn't in any rush, but now that i think about it i feel pretty dumb

I don't smoke anymore, I usually play airsoft, go to parties, chill with my friends, read manga's, and listen to music, and talk to to alot of the Atlanta Drifters on AIM

Drifting.com has opened me up to alot of people around GA, this is why i come here, I also learn a crapload, so I guess you can talk smack about me if you want..but remember I get my car in June or maybe before

so remmember if you got anything to say i'm not stopping you - nothing can change the way I am...and im not letting Drifting Getting Huge in America, change the way i appreciate and love drifting...

I've always been doing stuff the way i wanted to do it

I listen to whatever i want to listen to, anything that makes me feel better

I watch whatever i want to watch
                    I do whatever i want to do
                    and im going to do what i dream of doing

and that is to drift.
                    Last edited by sobe; 04-18-2004, 04:25 PM.

Comment

before I knew about drifting I was hard core into autocross, and road racing, and didn't enjoy the thrill of rally untill I began drifting. but before drifting.com came around, I used to eat and bathe, I even had three jobs and went to college, but that is all gone, I have my drifting.com and thats all I need. otherthings that occupy my time, art, building 1337 boxes, BMX, sk8boarding, girls, anime, martial arts ( I am like a drifting bruce lee) EMS, girls, fruit booting, music ( the only music I listen to now is the initial D megamix) and then cmae drifting.com so now my life involves, sleep, work, post whoring

Comment

I used to be full out into drag racing until one day my friend told me about SCCA. I tried that out and then was full out into autocross. Then at autocross I saw drifting and tried it and have been with it ever since.

Comment

Its pretty great that drifting has brought together so many people who were into totally different things. Guys from show car type hondas to 11 second muscle cars, to guys who havent even drove before. All comming together for a love of drifting

Comment

I was born with a driving passion. Drifting was the natural progression, lol. I was raised on the back roads. Since I first got my Buick Somerset 8-9 years ago, I was flying down back roads. I was gripping mostly cause it was fwd, but the rear would slide out at times. I usually tried to stop it as soon as possible cause I didn't really know what was going on back then. I went to school and back everyday on the back roads. My brother and I would do a little racing to see how fast we could get home from school. I don't think there was a moment where it wasn't either full throttle or full brake, lol.

If I was in a different place with a different life, I could have easily gotten into rally. It's something I'd love to get into later on in life as a hobby, small time stuff, but it would be great fun.

I got into drifting after seeing some Initial D early last year. I found a game called Live For Speed and learned a lot about car setups and car behaviors, even differences between drive types. I did quite a bit of practicing virtually first. I really got used to the methods and felt very comfortable in a game situation. My driving desire transimitted that virtual life into reality when I started drifting with my Buick Lesabre mid last summer. I was extremely comfortable with that car and knew its limits since I've been driving that chassis for 6 years. Drifting came easy with such a good understanding. The game behaviors blended beautifully with real life experiences. Both complemented each other in the learning process.

Since then, I'm still having great fun with the LFS game, and am still working with suspension setups and their affect on driving characteristics. As well, I moved to my bro's old Ford Ranger after the tranny went out on my Lesabre last fall. With rwd, I was able to learn on-throttle drifting characteristics. I progressed from there. I got used to rwd drifting and even practiced through winter. I recently got a new Subaru Forester and am learning 4wd techniques. It reminds me a lot of fwd with on-throttle characteristics when initiating a drift, but it's totally different from both fwd and rwd once it starts sliding. This is where I'm at today.

Comment

i edited the original post and now anyone can reply thanks to sobe's rebelliousness. have fun with it. ill reply a lil later in the week.

Comment

Working...
                              X