Can WINTER be helpful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can WINTER be helpful?

I know a lot of you guys are in cali and other tropical-ish, nice weather 90% of the time area's. But I throw this idea to you. Can winter for drifting noobs, not unlike myself, be an advantage. Being from Ohio we see enough winter to make most of you guys sick. 6 months of sun and fun IF WE'RE LUCKY. But winter has its advantages. For the noob-drifter it's ALOT easier on the tires. Less friction inducing and easier drift. After a good storm all of the parking lots are nailed, wide open and won't see a plow for hours. Before I even knew the concept i drifting I would just throw my old car into a lot and mess around until i either plow the lot myself or ppl start showing up and I don't feel like imbedding my car into another. I don't know how many of us actually see snow, or enough to really do much with it, but those of u who have, what do you think? positvie or negative for maybe someone new to learn on?

You're talking about in the snow? Maybe it can teach you to get use to sliding, but it won't help in drifting IMO. When it stormed here, I think everybody ran out and started doing mad rally slides around corners, 180s, and even 360s. Doesn't mean you can drift though.

Comment

i don't know, I kinda agree. I did alot of that during the winter, in snow and rain, and I learned quite a great deal about weight shifting, throtle control, steering and counter steering. I've had a few times to apply this on dry ground, and it works the same way, only things happen easier in the snow. and doesn't eat your tires. It's not bad for practice.
      Attached Files

Comment

Snow can be great, a lot less strain on your vehical, you do not go thru tires, and its just hilarious to see your speedometer reading 60 when the car is actually only going about 5. Hell, Ive even drifted the family minivan in the snow (98 ford windstar, FF lol) Yea, Id say it can help, just like any practice will help. Even if it doesnt, its fun!

Comment

Be alot more careful, i know alot of new guys think they can just throw down in snow and have the rear come out because theres little grip, few realize they also have little grip on the front tires either. Your 'drift' may quicly turn into 'understeering into a tree'

so be careful in those conditions.

Comment

With the ability to lose traction so easily, I find winter a good time to learn a car's behavior very quickly. Since you have to be quite gentile with the controls, you tend to learn the finer points quicker. Besides that, you are far lighter on the vehicle than during summer. Speeds and road conditions are always a concern. You need to be weary of any ice under the fresh snow. It's helpful to have driven on the road regularly/daily to know the conditions. Packed, slippery snow or patches of ice can be in strange places sometimes. Even if you're on a couple of inches of fresh snow, hitting that spot makes things a whole lot more slippery. In conditions that create consistancy is the best time. If you've got a lot of melting, refreezing, and new snow or freezing rain, things can get quite varied and require great caution.

Comment

I think snow is really fun to drive in. It gave me a feel for what my car would do in a slide, and i had snow banks to hit as a kid instead of buildings. You just have to watch out because their is a certain breed of people, i dont know if they are everywhere but they are here in minnesota; they seem to think that because the 4x4 on their suv monstrosities helps them not only accelerate like idiots in a snow storm, it also must make them stop quicker too. and for some reason they all have coffee and cell phones...good god I hate those people. so learn to control you slides in the snow, if not for dorifto, then for the yuppie f__ks that dont care if you live or die.

Comment

Yes, yes. I cannot stress enough...living in ohio I've seen a lot of winter action, Snow, though fun is very dangerous. nissanguy brought up something that I forgot... It is very imporant to yes, have fun, but don't push your car too hard. I don't see it as a technique teaching method, more of a basic concept, weight understanding, and tracation reaction is semi-like.

Comment

Working...
                X